Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Lightrrom help

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightrrom help

Hi all, this is probably a silly question but I need to know what i have done wrong again I have just updated lightroom ver 2015.4 and I have found that all the adjustments I made to my pics in the previous version have not been carried through to the new version, I imagine that this is not the norm and would appreciate if one of you LR experts can point out the correct way to update for next time and maybe if it is possible recover my previous adjustments, thanks
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did your LR catalogue update once the LR upgrade completed. It sounds like your catalogue did not run the update process. Not sure how you would manually do it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Did your LR catalogue update once the LR upgrade completed. It sounds like your catalogue did not run the update process. Not sure how you would manually do it.
    Hi Rick no I don't think my catalogue updated... it's probably my fault as when I switched over from aperture my file system was different from the LR one and I changed it around to suit and now when I upload photos from my camera it's got to be done manually, ie creating my own folders etc ....so I guess this is a flow on. I was hoping I was doing the update wrongly and someone could point me in the right direction.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you open LR does it ask for a new Catalog, if it doesn't, go to 'file' and open an old catalog. That should open and now you can do an 'optimize'. when LR opens next time it should open that catalog.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    When you open LR does it ask for a new Catalog, if it doesn't, go to 'file' and open an old catalog. That should open and now you can do an 'optimize'. when LR opens next time it should open that catalog.
    Thanks John I will try that today.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried and failed the optimize did it's thing but didn't reinstate my adjustments, I think my file system is not correct as LR seems to lose files and I have to use the locate files tab to relocate them in the correct folder even though they haven't moved position on my external harddrive. Thinking I need LR for dummies if there is such a book.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by out n about View Post
    I have tried and failed the optimize did it's thing but didn't reinstate my adjustments, I think my file system is not correct as LR seems to lose files and I have to use the locate files tab to relocate them in the correct folder even though they haven't moved position on my external harddrive. Thinking I need LR for dummies if there is such a book.
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for Digital Photographers. By Scott Kelby.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for Digital Photographers. By Scott Kelby.
    Thanks Rick, I will have a look for that book... I was just playing around again with LR and discovered another function "open Recent" under file and it actually gave me the option of continuing with the current LR6 catalogue or opening and upgrading the LR5 catalogue so I took that option and it seems to have worked a treat not only do I have all the adjustments back but it has also found another 160 odd photos of what I don't know thanks again

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by out n about View Post
    Thanks Rick, I will have a look for that book... I was just playing around again with LR and discovered another function "open Recent" under file and it actually gave me the option of continuing with the current LR6 catalogue or opening and upgrading the LR5 catalogue so I took that option and it seems to have worked a treat not only do I have all the adjustments back but it has also found another 160 odd photos of what I don't know thanks again
    That's great news.
    The trick from now on is never move any image files while you're outside of lightroom. It's just a dumb database so just as when the Mrs moves the butter to another shelf in the fridge, if you move something while it's not watching it will throw up a "what the hell have you done with the butter" error.
    There are so many resources on the net for LR and PS that usually a quick google on "how do I.." "Why does X happen" will throw something up, the trick is using LR words/language where possible, but that's not always easy if you don't know it yet...
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.