User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Which Lens - Everest Base Camp Trek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Lens - Everest Base Camp Trek

I am heading to Nepal to trek up to Everest Base Camp. I will either take my 60D or 5D MK III. As I will probably only take one lens I was thinking a Canon 15-85 is USM. There is always plenty of light so I dont think I will need the 2.8 of a 24mm - 70mm.

Thoughts?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No expert here but I'd be inclined to take the 60D. Costs less to replace so you may not worry about bashing it around a bit to get that stunning photo. Weighs less also.
    That means taking the 15-85 to get the wider view on the 60D APS.
    Have a safe trek and post some photos here.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you have a Sherpa? Because that's always my wish when carrying the 5diii around.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you have a Sherpa? Because that's always my wish when carrying the 5diii around.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did that trek around six years ago. Tough call on what to take - most of the shots will be scenery but you do walk through some great villages where you might want to do a bit of people photography.

If I was traveling again I would take the 5DIII with a wide angle lens. If you are only taking one lens then this is the perfect scenario for the old faithful 24-105 F4. I would also suggest you take a set of light gloves where you can use you camera without removing them - days are warm but the nights and mornings are very cold.

Welcome to pm me if you need more info about the trek. I can tell you it is a once in a lifetime experience.

Kel
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    another thing. Really cold weather plays havoc with batteries.. and in some cases shutters. Consider getting some new batteries and spares for which ever camera you take. carry them.. on your body, next your skin, to keep them warmish. Also worthwhile getting the camera serviced and checked over before you go. Harsh conditions are where little things start playing up
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you take a Telephoto zoom lens and me to carry it.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enseth View Post
    I suggest you take a Telephoto zoom lens and me to carry it.
    Good idea! --As long as he pays your fare and you portage fees
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously not your 5DIII plus f/5.6 800 ... .

How about buying an Olympus E-M1 plus their quite good and small superzoom 14-150 MkII for the trip. The E-M1 is weather/dust sealed, and good for low temperatures.

Agree with Rick about taking plenty of batteries and keeping them close to your body to keep them warm. Cold LiIon batteries don't pack much punch.

Every ounce you carry will be magnified many times over at that altitude! Think small/light/minimalist.
    Alfred Gregory might have lugged a large format camera up Everest , but that's out of the question for most of us ...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll stick with my trusty 60D and look around for a cheap 24-105. I may as well through in my Tokina 11-16 f2.8 just in case. Thinking about 4 batteries wrapped inside some thermal material.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ the really important part is to carry the batteries in internal pockets so that your body heat keeps them warm - i.e. not in an outside pocket or your backpack.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, For my first trip to the Kumbu region in 1998 I bought my first SLR (film) and a Tokina 28-210 which was great - only thing is, in retrospect, I would have liked a wider angle. In general though I found the lens great as it covered scenery plus zoom potential without having to change lens.
    On my last trip to the Himalayas (last year, Indian Himal) I purchased an 18-200mm which I was really happy with (and also carried a 10-18mm). I would definitely go with more range than 24-105.
    The area in which you are trekking obviously has amazing scenery but you will also be travelling through interesting villages and you might want more zoom to catch candid shots. Zoom can also also be good in scenery... For touring in Kathmandu you may also want more than a 24-105 can offer, without necessarily changing lenses.
    Re batteries - my first few high altitude trips I slept with my batteries which were all disposable. My last couple of trips I have had rechargeable batteries and have found one spare sufficient only having to replace after around 9 days (ultimately depends on use though). I would imagine that there would be the potential for recharging batteries for you as the Everest route is so popular now - might be worth checking up on but don't necessarily rely on it. Power goes down, and things are not necessarily available as advertised. Haven't been there for for around 10 years but the changes in previous years in regards facilities had been significant.
    Memory cards - remember a spare
    Regards camera - I would go with the 60D. You don't want any extra weight to carry. I must say I noticed the weight of my 18-200mm lens compared to my kit lens.
    Gloves - there was mention of light gloves. I always wear light gloves even when it is hot - and it can get hot. Sunburnt hands are not fun (from hands upright holding trekking poles).
    Backpack - experiment with you back pack setup. If you have not travelled at altitude before any little extra physical exertion can sap the life from you! You want to be able to pull your camera out while walking. Not stop and forage in the backpack. I carry my camera separate form my day pack so it is easily accessible. Always in front of my body with weight distributed evenly. Extra carabiners on the front of the pack are always handy to quickly secure trekking poles.
    Have a wonderful trek. Remember to look behind you. Sometime it is the scene you passed that is more amazing!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, as my trip to Everest Base Camp (I'm also now climbing Mt Imja Tse after Everest Base Camp @ 22,000') gets closer I am thinking of taking a point and shoot style camera to carry with my during the trek and climb and will keep my Canon DSLR and 24-105 f4 in the back pack along with the tripos and use them for set shots and during the days I have acclimatisation days in the village. What is a decent point and shoot camera available now days? Would like something that is pretty uncomplicated and sturdy enough to be in my jacket pocket. Higher MP the better. Happy to purchase 2nd hand so it doesn't have to be the latest model on the market. Canon G16 has been recommended but that was from a Canon Specific forum so open to other ideas.You can follow my journey here https://www.facebook.com/Reach-beyon...1838156119343/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Sony rx100II. They're up to vsn V now, which I intend to buy for my next overseas trip. I like it because it has the capabilities of a higher end camera (when you have the time) or you can use it in various auto modes. It's served me well in all sorts of terrains, and environmental conditions. I am primarily looking to upgrade because after all this time, it has got dust on its sensor. Potentially, the main limiting factor is that it's a 24-70 zoom, so you might prefer a P&S with a greater zoom range for your needs.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a web site that you can lookup and find more information? Just a thought
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You started this thread 11 months ago. Surely you have a clue what you're doing by now.???
    Correct me if I'm wrong.