User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: No photo just my frustrating. knowing a bird is around but not getting any shots.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No photo just my frustrating. knowing a bird is around but not getting any shots.

My yard has quite thick bush (planted by us) around much of its perimeter . Almost every day recently I have whip birds in my yard. some days with 3 metres of my bedroom window. I just don't see them . well when I do they are a dark moving blob.. I did manage to see them scuttling (you couldn't call it flying) across my drive. I can get close to them and even see them in the bush but they just don't come out into the light and they can move around as if by magic.
    One of the birds is juvenile (less than two years old) so has not white on its throat which makes it harder.
    The only time I have ever got good photos of a whip bird was at Healesville sanctuary years ago.
    Any hints. they don't seem to be interested in water close to one of their regular spots.
    Vera

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, I moved your thread as the Member Photo forums are for photos and critique.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vharperv View Post
    Any hints.
    Forget taking photos of them (but only for a while )
    Try and imitate their voice . Talk to them. Make other interesting noises and watch and see if they seem to respond to a noise you make. Watch what the birds do and where they go. Forget the camera for a while. Concentrate on the birds. Make them get used to and interested in you.
    I don't know what food they like but put some of it just into the bush where they hang out. Once they discover it move the easy food source (for them now) closer to the edge of the bush. Then right onto the edge of the bush with a clear view for a camera.
    Just a few things worth trying.
    Slower is faster.
    You probably intrinsically know this already Vera, but you want that photo NOW.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sort of thing could come in handy as well, (just going to another extreme...) but I imagine it would get rather hot and stuffy in there up your way?

Cheers -
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think yourself lucky Its fairly bush fire prone here (as most the country I suppose) so we have little foliage close to the house.
    Nearest tree would be 75 metres away so the only way to get close to a bird here is to use the shotgun as it flys past Only joking (shotgun as in continuous)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Mark here Vera.. Feel its best to let them see you and hear you which you probably do and yes talk to them.
    Not sure about the feeding bit though, seems they are ground feeders of Insects and a shame they are not interested in water.
    If we got some rain as they live in wet habitats there would be more Insects and that too would be a great help enticing them to stay around.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020