User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  35
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can I view my computer on my TV ?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

I just spoke to my Optus neighbour and she does indeed have a Kogan TV. She assures me that it is up to date with software, but why it is offering Apps to my Computer/TV and not her's is a mystery. Seems harmless so I'll just ignore it ......
    No probs Kev ..

What you may want to do, if that Kogan thing persists on your network:

Try to find the mac address filtering feature on the router, and strictly set it to not allow this device on your network.
    You're sort of doing your neighbour a favour, in that, once the Kogan thing is attached to your network(when it actually is attached!), she can't connect it to hers. (you can only connect these devices to one network at a time.

Otherwise: If it's not connected to your network, work out with her that it's connected to hers. Once it's connected to hers, it won't appear on your network(coz of the one network at a time limitation).
    Problem is, if her network goes down or is off and your is on, the Kogan thing will try to connect to your network again .. and so on ~ in perpetuity.
    So the best way to stop it connecting to your network(and therefore doing your neighbour a favour) is to ban it from your network(ie. router) with the mac address filtering.

All good for your network security and all .. but the Kogan thing still connected to it!
    And if it's not yours, and the network is password protected, how did this thing connect.

I don't want to worry you or nothing .. but as it's a TV(if it is indeed a TV) and TVs are generally used to watch movies of some type(can of course do other stuff, but movies are their forte!) .. movies do usually require a fair amount of bandwidth if downloading said movies from the net .. so ... err ... I'd be more mindful of it ... and, booting it off the network sooner rather than later.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    No probs Kev ..

What you may want to do, if that Kogan thing persists on your network:

Try to find the mac address filtering feature on the router, and strictly set it to not allow this device on your network.
    You're sort of doing your neighbour a favour, in that, once the Kogan thing is attached to your network(when it actually is attached!), she can't connect it to hers. (you can only connect these devices to one network at a time.

Otherwise: If it's not connected to your network, work out with her that it's connected to hers. Once it's connected to hers, it won't appear on your network(coz of the one network at a time limitation).
    Problem is, if her network goes down or is off and your is on, the Kogan thing will try to connect to your network again .. and so on ~ in perpetuity.
    So the best way to stop it connecting to your network(and therefore doing your neighbour a favour) is to ban it from your network(ie. router) with the mac address filtering.

All good for your network security and all .. but the Kogan thing still connected to it!
    And if it's not yours, and the network is password protected, how did this thing connect.

I don't want to worry you or nothing .. but as it's a TV(if it is indeed a TV) and TVs are generally used to watch movies of some type(can of course do other stuff, but movies are their forte!) .. movies do usually require a fair amount of bandwidth if downloading said movies from the net .. so ... err ... I'd be more mindful of it ... and, booting it off the network sooner rather than later.
    Cheers Arthur.

Mate, it has been bugging me, so I will definitely do as you suggested and get rid of it for peace of mind.

Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I look into this the more I wonder if it may in fact be something to do with my phone.

I googled 'what is the use of a tun.ko' and found this ..... https://droidvpn.com/page/what-is-the-use-of-tunko-1/

Most of it went straight over my head.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely it's nothing but your computer/phone/other device showing you what other networks are available.
    I get the same thing: neighbour's Wifi. Can't log on, though. Pwd protected and wooden wanna annyway.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 04-02-2016 at 10:04am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    The more I look into this the more I wonder if it may in fact be something to do with my phone.

What phone? ... brand/model.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Surely it's nothing but your computer/phone/other device showing you what other networks are available.
    I get the same thing: neighbour's Wifi. Can't log on, though. Pwd protected and wooden wanna annyway.
    Cheers Am.

- - - Updated - - -

What phone? ... brand/model.
    My phone is an HTC One and I've just enabled WIFI and Mobile Data and it doesn't show up on my Network. Strange !! I've just been notified of a system update for my phone, usually about 1Gb, and as my data limit on the phone is 300Mb I've been using my old TP-Link modem to download the updates via the internet. Now I have to suss out how to do it with my new set-up.

I've never had a need for WiFi so am a complete dummy about it's uses and pitfalls. Guess it's time to move into the 21st Century.

It would seem that every time one of my neighbours, or even someone passing my house with a WIFI enabled device, has that device turned on, my computer network recognises the device and shows my network as available, but only with the appropriate password, which I have a horrible feeling is the generic one, as in my eagerness to get the NBN up and running I think I forgot to go back and change it. I currently have a TI Blaze tablet on my network.

The times sure are a-changing. My first radio consisted of a Gillette razor blade, a safety pin, some copper wire wound around a cardboard toilet paper insert and an earpiece from a trashed PMG phone handset. I ran the aerial wire to the clothes line. And believe it or not, it worked.

I'm off to change my password and work out how to update my phone with my new u-beaut WIFI thingy.
    Last edited by Cage; 04-02-2016 at 12:36pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated my phone with no problems.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good that it went well, Kev.

The default passphrase in any modern modem is usually: 1) pretty darn strong - mine is about 10 digits long, i.e.10^10 power permutations and combinations; and 2) Unique to that device, and is not related to the MAC address or IP address, so should not be discoverable via its connection to the Internet.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Good that it went well, Kev.

The default passphrase in any modern modem is usually: 1) pretty darn strong - mine is about 10 digits long, i.e.10^10 power permutations and combinations; and 2) Unique to that device, and is not related to the MAC address or IP address, so should not be discoverable via its connection to the Internet.
    Cheers John.

I think I decided initially that the password was unique to my particular device and decided to leave it as was.

My last mystery is why my network doesn't show my mobile phone. I've proved that they are talking to one and other coz I've just updated the phone via WIFI. Strange I see other folks devices but not my own.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You nee to put your WiFi modem/router into discovery mode by pressing the button on it for this purpose. Once it and your phone have paired, they will always know about each other. We have a number of phones and a tablet and laptop in the house. They all get along OK with the WiFi. They all use DHCP IP addys. All the PCs are wired and have fixed IP addresses up in the mid one hundred range. The three printers have IP addys going downwards from xxx.xxx.xxx.254 .
    Last edited by John King; 04-02-2016 at 3:14pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the update was for a particular phone provider's phone model, then the update (data) is free(from your regular data limit).

So in your situation Kev, if you have 300Mb data limit and say with Telstra(or whoever) the 1Gb phone update doesn't count in your data allowance.

But! .. lets say you had a 5Gb data limit on your internet provider's plan .. and you used Wifi for the download .. then the 1Gb download for the phone will count towards your data count.
    So for the rest of the month, you only have 4Gb of data for the remainder of the month!
    (Obviously I dunno what internet plan you're on .. just using examples)

I always update phones on the phone network, never over Wifi .. but if I'm in a hurry(ie. and hence want the download quick .. and not in an hour or two) .. then I'll use the phone manufacturer's companion software and do it over USB on the PC.
    That is, the 1Gb of data is downloaded over your ISP's data line .. but is much quicker than even 4G on the phone network .. and the update takes maybe 15 mins or so instead of a couple of hours.

As for why your network isn't showing your mobile phone: I'd say it's because they're most likely on different networks within your network. This can easily happen if not configured right.

You'll need to check via the router's config pages how your 'networks' are set up.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the update was for a particular phone provider's phone model, then the update (data) is free(from your regular data limit).

So in your situation Kev, if you have 300Mb data limit and say with Telstra(or whoever) the 1Gb phone update doesn't count in your data allowance.

But! .. lets say you had a 5Gb data limit on your internet provider's plan .. and you used Wifi for the download .. then the 1Gb download for the phone will count towards your data count.
    So for the rest of the month, you only have 4Gb of data for the remainder of the month!
    (Obviously I dunno what internet plan you're on .. just using examples)

I always update phones on the phone network, never over Wifi .. but if I'm in a hurry(ie. and hence want the download quick .. and not in an hour or two) .. then I'll use the phone manufacturer's companion software and do it over USB on the PC.
    That is, the 1Gb of data is downloaded over your ISP's data line .. but is much quicker than even 4G on the phone network .. and the update takes maybe 15 mins or so instead of a couple of hours.

As for why your network isn't showing your mobile phone: I'd say it's because they're most likely on different networks within your network. This can easily happen if not configured right.

You'll need to check via the router's config pages how your 'networks' are set up.
    Arthur, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that my phone update goes against it's usage.

Anyway it doesn't matter now as with the NBN I have 100Gb of data @ 100Mbs, so win, win! This 300Mb download happened in a blink.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123