User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Sigma 150 - 600 Lens Hood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 150 - 600 Lens Hood

A couple of times now when I have been fitting or removing the lens hood on this unit, I have had the retaining screw come undone, (fortunately been inside at a table).
    I have found that the screw needs to be fully backed out when trying to remove the hood but if you back it out to far the very small locking screw on the inside can come undone and if you were in the field when this happens your chance of recovering them will be nigh impossible. Has anyone else had this problem and have you seen any comments elsewhere regarding this.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WhOTT! I have the 50-500, a similar unit. Can you show us a pic of what you mean. I haven't noticed anything
    like that.
    Ta.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this works haven't tried this way before. The centre PH Screw is very fine and is the one that on mine comes undone
    The retaining gromet that is held in place by this small screw locking the hood to the lens.

P1000021.JPG
    Last edited by ROA44; 27-01-2016 at 5:26pm. Reason: For reference

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW! I think the similarity ends with "Sigma"!!
    Mine is different: bayonet mount with two flanges, upper and lower. As...

Σ50-500 hood mount
    DSC_0446aclr.jpg

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would prefer a bayonet fitting, bot I may know some one who can re fabricate something similar but with out he centre screw.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the 150-600 and have not got that setup its the samne as ams

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macca. I don't know if it makes any difference (and I would have thought not) but he's got the S version.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just checked and the sport model has the screw, the contemporary has the normal

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys I thought I had Put S but obviously not but there in lies an extra difference between the "S" & "C" models. One week point With the "S" model.
    I don't really want to use locktite on it.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have googled the fault and no hits on it anywhere

- - - Updated - - -

crikey am theres a bit of dust on that lens

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I knw!)

Actually, it's a bit stupick when you think about it. Here's a design that doesn't work.
    Hence the term: "a screw loose". You'd think they'd get it to NOT turn and loosen in NORMAL operation!!

Isn't it under warranty? Can you ask about it?
    Last edited by ameerat42; 27-01-2016 at 8:34pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its like my glasses , i have to take them back to spec savers once a month because the screws loosen on the arms all the time, bugger mei have just found out why my pping is up the creek ill blame spec savers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be contacting the store where I purchased the lens from regarding the issue. Has anyone tried using it with out the hood. I usually leave it on to help protect the lens even though I have the UV filter fitted.

Also what Tripod/ mono-pod mount are people using I currently just have a manrotto 3-way and single cheap tilt mount.
    Last edited by ROA44; 27-01-2016 at 9:32pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Mine always. Seems OK, unless shooting close to the sun or bright lights. But I mean within a few degrees,
    and then mainly at wider angles.

I had the hood on in the beginning, but I could not tell much difference in contrast in the few tests I did.
    Actually, the hood now houses a solar filter, which I then attach occasionally.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmich View Post
    its like my glasses , i have to take them back to spec savers once a month because the screws loosen on the arms all the time, bugger me i have just found out why my pping is up the creek ill blame spec savers
    That's why my wife said that next time she's trying somewhere else.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    Has anyone tried using it with out the hood. I usually leave it on to help protect the lens even though I have the UV filter fitted.
    I can't really help but I'd find a way to keep the hood and ditch the UV filter. Yep, that doesn't help.
    The filter will offer no protection (other than sealing against weather maybe, do you need that?) It is just another piece of glass to hinder (slightly) the lenses capacity.
    Apart from the hood protecting the lens I've found it helps get a nicer contrast when taking a photo. There has to be a reason why they are supplied with the lens.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input. Re the UV filter or as they now also call them (protective filter) sounds like governments coming up with new names for the same/almost same thing to because they can. Or is it because legals run governments.
    The only other reason I have it on is it saves me trying to clean the main lens and if I do stuff it up it is cheaper to replace, I have had smearing on some lenses and so I'm just being paranoid ER!!!! cautious!!!!!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re UV filter/protective filter ... same thing and they do actually do both. The degrees of efficiency of those properties is debatable tho.
    1. you dont' need UV filtering on digital cameras, as they have them internally anyhow. Even then, the lens itself is better at UV filtering than the UV filter probably is.
    2. as for protection, cleaning a UV filter is probably going to damage it more easily than cleaning a lens front element!
    The front element of most lenses is usually much more hardy than most UV filters are. It's unlikely that you will damage your lens's front element just by cleaning it.

Look for PecPads to clean any glass(google pecpads and get a pack of 100 .. they last forever!)

As for the screw in the hood retainer!
    Are you 'unscrewing' the retainer at all?
    My understanding of this retainer is that you simply pull it out to release the lock it has on the lens. You don't screw it in any direction. They are usually spring loaded(inwards) and you pull it out to fit and remove the hood from the lens.

I'm finding it hard to understand how the screw is coming loose. The only way I could imagine the screw coming loose(other than an unscrewing action) is that vibrations would do that.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this exact lens (150-600S) and I have not noticed the screw coming out too far when i put on or take off the hood.

As of which mount i use - I have a Kirk MPA-2 tilt head on one monopod and a Surui L20S on a second monopod - both outstanding tilt heads. I mostly use gimbal heads on a tripod (mine is a Jobu gimbal head).
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for delay in replying but was away and didn't have access to internet.

Regarding Brian500au I will look into those items.

Hi Arthur I checked to see if the mechanism is spring loaded but no, it definitely only unscrews. So will follow up in the next few days and will look at the Pecpads as an option.