Thread: Australia Day 2016.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Australia Day 2016.

Happy [Title] to all.

Wondering what people are doing in particular, like to celebrate, etc.
    Are the prawns copping a hiding
    Leave the Lamb for NZ

OK I did: some reflection; fit new car battery; (looked at) a few other jobs (to be done), AND...

Got UTTERLY BORED as I watched half a minute of the "Celebrations" on ABC24
    (If you have clothes to dry, hang them in front of TV switched to that channel)
    (And the cinematography is bone-crackingly dull!!)

Anyway, that's me
    Last edited by ameerat42; 26-01-2016 at 11:33am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been to Aussie Day Breakie, down the river front (Maybe pics to follow), now going to sit back, put the feet up and watch the grass grow

Cheers ...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Been to Aussie Day Breakie, down the river front (Maybe pics to follow), now going to sit back, put the feet up and watch the grass grow

Cheers ...
    Is that the herbage of the verdant hue, growing at your own home?
    - Don't worry! I'll spare you the song.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ And the commentary as well, Am. I am an avid supporter of having an independent National broadcaster. However, I do expect them to be reasonably even handed as well ... Is this asking too much of the ABC?

I have taken to watching the SBS instead, mostly. More documentaries, and their sometimes overseas born presenters often speak better English than the predominantly native born Aussies on the ABC.

I remember watching a skit many years ago between Wendy Harmer and another female comedian and ABC person where they were reminiscing about an elocution test they had had to take prior to employment at the ABC.
    It took me years to work out what "Mairsy dotes and dozy dotes and liddle amsy tivey" meant. This was what they were laughing about - it was how many read the sentence "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy" pronouncing it all the first way ... About two weeks ago, I heard a presenter on the ABC give a terrific rendition of the former ... .

Another non-favourite of mine is pronouncing 'Ant-arctica' as 'Ann tartica'. After all, the word is a contraction of the Antipodean Arctic = "Ant arctica" ...

But I guess I'm just an old grumble bum who has a life long love of the English language ... . I try not to butcher it too much!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just another day to me Am though Tuesday is always a rest day for us as Monday is house cleaning day.
    Today starts off Daughter facetimes me like she does every morning *Mum what are you doing today are you cooking some Lamb on the BBQ*
    No way its Fried Rice for me *I wont repeat what she said* though she is always good for a

Have a great Day everyone.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    ^ And the commentary as well, Am. I am an avid supporter of having an independent National broadcaster. However, I do expect them to be reasonably even handed as well ... Is this asking too much of the ABC?

I have taken to watching the SBS instead, mostly. More documentaries, and their sometimes overseas born presenters often speak better English than the predominantly native born Aussies on the ABC.

I remember watching a skit many years ago between Wendy Harmer and another female comedian and ABC person where they were reminiscing about an elocution test they had had to take prior to employment at the ABC.
    It took me years to work out what "Mairsy dotes and dozy dotes and liddle amsy tivey" meant. This was what they were laughing about - it was how many read the sentence "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy" pronouncing it all the first way ... About two weeks ago, I heard a presenter on the ABC give a terrific rendition of the former ... .

Another non-favourite of mine is pronouncing 'Ant-arctica' as 'Ann tartica'. After all, the word is a contraction of the Antipodean Arctic = "Ant arctica" ...

But I guess I'm just an old grumble bum who has a life long love of the English language ... . I try not to butcher it too much!
    Happy Stralia day John
    Last edited by Cricket; 26-01-2016 at 1:20pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Cricket. You too, mate .

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On last night's Ch 7 News, a reporter told us that someone was "laying on the road"

What, I wondered? Sticks?

But then I "morlfa Strine"

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ♫ Allons enfants de la Patrie ♫ , ooppppss, wrong anthem,

Jean-François de Galaup La Pérouse was a few days too late to plant the French flag, or that may have been our national anthem.

The first of my ancestors arrived in 1827 as a guest of King George IV, on a fully paid seven year holiday. This was a reward for his services to the gentry of London where he worked tirelessly to clean the lint from their pockets, and I guess at times he inadvertently removed their spare change too. Naughty lad.

I also have ancestral links to the Vikings, the Welsh, Irish, French, Italian and Austrians. A bit of a mongrel I suppose.

But does that make me any less a proud Aussie than the First Fleeters, the Aborigines that preceded the First Fleet by some forty thousand odd years, those that fled from the atrocities in Europe and the Middle and Far East ?

I think not ! If you chose to live in Australia, are prepared to adopt it's ever changing culture, and way of life, I'll say Mate and raise a glass to you.

Happy Australia Day to all Aussies, new and old.
    Last edited by Cage; 26-01-2016 at 2:25pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prepping myself for my first fireworks shoot on the Peninsula, seems basic only got to remember a doz things...lol. See how I go. If I get to post first mine will look ok eh...lol
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    ...♫ Allons enfants de la Patrie ♫ , ooppppss, wrong anthem, ...
    WRSE! - WRNG date

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, Am, 26 January celebrates the raising of the Flag of Great Britain at Sydney Cove by Governor Arthur Phillip in 1788.

La Pérouse arrived off Botany Bay on 24 January 1788, just as Captain Arthur Phillip was attempting to move the colony from there to Sydney Cove in Port Jackson. The First Fleet was unable to leave until 26 January because of a tremendous gale, which also prevented La Pérouse's ships from entering Botany Bay. Had he not dilly dallied in the South Pacific he would have been there before the First Fleet.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's right. I meant the 14 July

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went fishing. Sat/stood on the bank at the mouth of a river. Lots of bites, nothing caught. My mum got a small bream (undersize, so it got put back), and had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Now with no fish. what to have for dinner?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fish & chips of course Rick, don't let them slippery suckers have the last laugh.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Is that the herbage of the verdant hue, growing at your own home?
    I never inhale