Thread: Newbie buying first telephoto lens

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie buying first telephoto lens

I just purchased my first DSLR. Nikon D3300 as the offer was excellent. Came with an 18-55mm kit lens and I have been very happy with the results and enjoying it immensely so far.

Been a lazy photographer in the past, but I do miss the zoom of my point & shoot camera and want to get a telephoto lens. Will be used at school events, kids sports etc.

Seems an easy choice for the beginner, Nikkor 55-200, 55-300 or 70-300mm. Done enough reading to ensure it is AF-S for auto focus, VR or VRII to counter my wobbles and DX for the correct lens.

Which lens - I know the 55-300 is apparently lighter than than the 70-300, which I assume would have a better build quality. Also aware of the softness that creeps in with these lenses at 300. Therefore, would a beginner be better off starting with a 200 maximum? If a 300 maximum, would the lighter (and cheaper) 55-300 be a better choice as it will also cover the full range, given my current 18-55?

Where to buy from - I have seen some good deals new on *removed - please read the site rules, in particular rules 3-7 : Admin* Is this reputable and would Nikon honour the warranty? Are there any online places that could be recommended for value?

Have been watching a few second hand *removed - please read the site rules, in particular rules 3-7 : Admin*. Is second hand typically ok (much mention of the absence of fungus and dust)? As this is a cheap purchase, the risk factor is of course not that great.

Was hoping to spend about $150-200 on the lens, as I don't want to drop a bundle and then find my interest wanes. Nothing like a new hobby with an expensive upgrade path!

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-01-2016 at 11:21pm.