Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Kimberleys Tour Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kimberleys Tour Advice

Hi,

Wanting to tap the experience of this forum. Looking for some tour advice.

I'm thinking of doing the trip to Kimberlys/Karinjini N.P either this year or next year. So whats the best way to do it .Trip is WIfi compatible (WIfe Favourable Inclined) but she she may not come as a) not into photography and b) not into driving long distances.

Can you do it on your own or should I join in with a photography tour? (Decided against a non-photo tour as I want to be up and out at sunrise/sunset , not stuck eating meals etc...)

I see pro's and cons to both.

On your own may obviously be cheaper and more freedom to do whatever you want when you want.
    More hassles - have to hire 4WD, arrange food accommodation etc...

Photo Tour -

Join with like minded togs keeping unsociable hours
    Expertise on where to be and when
    Less hassles

If anyone has had good ( or bad) experience with tours let me know. For example looking at one run by Red Dirt Photography out of Broome. A 10 Day Gibb River Road Photography Trip . Anyone done that one or any others highly recommended?

Look forward to replies and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bcys1961; 22-01-2016 at 2:40pm.
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While I like to do my own thing, somewhere as big as your thinking about visiting could be better with local knowledge. Best places, best time for photography. You could research all you like and still end up chasing your tail over there (unresearched first thoughts). Maybe take twice the time and do the organised tour then go back by yourself to explore the places you really liked.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been there but, if alone, I would be inclined towards the photography tour. Adam (Outstar79) has been there recently, so if he doesn't see this post, might be worth sending him a pm. I know he had an interesting blog attached to one of his photo posts.
    Glenda

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Broome and a small part of the Kimberley, but only did a full day tour to Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek. Had the whole family along but it provided plenty of opportunities for shooting. Not at the proper unsociable hours as it was not a tog tour. There are some amazing sights and I'd recommend the guidance someone local can give as there is a huge area to cover which means without knowing where and when to be, you may miss some great opportunities.

One thing that you'll find out when you get there if you go down the hire and drive yourself route, is the cost of fuel as well as the additional insurance for driving off-road and particularly at night might make it more attractive to take the tour. Night driving up there can be quite risky with cattle and wildlife free to roam across roads. None of the cattle stations up there have fences. Additionally road trains do not stop for anything and with 3-4 trailers behind them on narrow dirt roads means cars and even 4WDs usually come off second best.

That said, you do get the freedom to go where you want when you want.

I looked at TripAdvisor for the tour you mentioned and the company has a lot of positive reviews, but mostly for their half day or full day tours.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    While I like to do my own thing, somewhere as big as your thinking about visiting could be better with local knowledge. Best places, best time for photography. You could research all you like and still end up chasing your tail over there (unresearched first thoughts). Maybe take twice the time and do the organised tour then go back by yourself to explore the places you really liked.
    Not a bad idea Mark. I'm leaning towards doing a 10 day photography tour , followed by a similar time on a self drive loop (Broome down to Ningaloo Reef and back ). Would not mind swimming with the whale sharks and might even get the wife to come with me for that part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    I haven't been there but, if alone, I would be inclined towards the photography tour. Adam (Outstar79) has been there recently, so if he doesn't see this post, might be worth sending him a pm. I know he had an interesting blog attached to one of his photo posts.
    Yes I remember that post . I'll try to find it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Grant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,
    What type of vehicle do you drive? normal ground clearance is Ok, reliability is far more important. My wife and I have been to the Kimberlies on a number of occasions ( my wife likes the little rocks from Lake Argyle ) We drive a Toyota and the only time we needed 4wd was on the soft sand into the Bungle Bungle's, however that was late in the year, ie hot and very dry. Gibb River road is sealed a lot of the way and well maintained, the majority of roads are well maintained now due to Tourist Numbers.
    Best time of the year is late winter, early spring as the air is much clearer then ( low dust levels) especially if they have had good winter rain, the wild flowers are phenomenal. As for the wife, due to work commitments, my wife didn't have the time to drive each way so I drove over and she flew in, we had our holiday and she flew out and I drove back, just a thought. You will have to allow a good 6 to 7 days of solid driving each way to Broome, a lot of people do not realise the actual distances involved. I suggest you take a break and explore Kathrine Gorge, the escarpments at Victoria River, Lake Argyle etc, do NOT drive at night, slow down on the dirt, smell the roses and let the vastness and beauty of our country astound you. If time is short then fly/hire is the only way. Just go mate, you are only here for a short time

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bushy,

I'm actually back now . Did a 10 day photo tour along the Gibb River Road and then hired a 4WD Camper from Exmouth and did the Exmouth - Karijini-Millstream/Chichester loop. Fantastic country that everyone should see!

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which tour company did you end up using?
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Which tour company did you end up using?
    Inspired Landscapes / Red Dirt Photography with Tom Putt and Nigel Gaunt. Tour was well run , great locations , fantastic food . If you want someone to get you into the locations at the right times of day they were great . As for how much you learn about and improve your photographic skills I think it depends on what level you are at to begin with. I picked up a few tips and pointers but others on the trip who were at a much less advanced level would have got more out of it.