Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Used FF for Astro advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used FF for Astro advice

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a setup to do astrophotography - interested in milky way shots with landscape atm.
    The plan at the moment is to find a decent used full frame body used, and invest more in a quality lens (perhaps something like a 15-50 ish for general purpose as well).

What body would you recommend?

Thanks!

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on this same search for about six months now.

As I have a fair investment in Nikon glass, most of my research has been based on their bodies. Multiple google searches have not given me a definitive answer, however my wishlist, at this point in time (it fluctuates), is as follows.

1. Nikon D810A, a purpose-built astro imaging job with no OLPF and modded IR cut filter (Way out of my budget range)
    2. Nikon D810, the latest incarnation of the D800 with no OLPF (Optical Low Pass Filter)
    3. Nikon D700, only 12.1 megapixels, but I read somewhere that the bigger pixel size is better for astro imaging and you would need to find someone competent to remove the OLPF.
    4. Nikon D7100, not FF, but has no OLPF and can be IR modded locally http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121768650...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As I said above, I've been doing this exercise for six months and I'm probably still none the wiser, or very little at best. Even asking on the astro-specific forums will give you a plethora of differing opinions.

Good luck.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I should stress that I want to use it for non astro photography too! So removing the IR filter is not something I want to do. However I'm unsure how significant the OLPF is to general photography and astro stuff?

I'd actually go for a D750 but not likely to find a cheap used body.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason, I'm guessing it's Jason, you don't say what gear you have at present, if any.

Firstly, removing the OLPF gives sharper images, at the risk of moire, that shimmering effect that you get with close stripes.

IMHO, the best bang FF for your buck to kick of would be the Nikon D700, a superb camera. I've been in awe of the stuff I've seen posted here by D700 users. As said above, only 12.1 megapixies, but bloody good megapixies. I've seen them go for well under 1K with very low shutter counts.

You can sort of work around not having no OLPF and no IR cut filter by using one of these. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290903784...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mate, do your homework, very, very carefully, because you are embarking on a photographic genre that can not only be addictive, but also very expensive. Not to mention frustrating. It has taken me several months to research and source the bits to mount my D800 on a motorised telescope mount.

I'm as far from an expert in Astro Photography as you can get, but I'm more than willing to share the little factual knowledge that I've accumulated.

On a lighter note I'm just back from a pleasant recce trip to Catherine Hill Bay, to suss out shooting spots for a project that I have in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What gear do you have now?
    Whats your budget?
    What other purposes do you have in mind for it?