Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7d mark 11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7d mark 11

Hi all is anyone using one of these and are they happy with it as this will be my next camera body on my list . I shoot mainly speed photography so I shaw this is the one for me .. any review from people in here would be great thanx ..

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday poorman

While I don't use Canon gear, so can't speak to your choice either way, I do have a process I use when contemplating any new purchase ...

I make a list of things that the new bit of kit will do that my existing kit will not. This is usually a very short list ...

It is very easy to be seduced by marketing hype, when something new (and usually expensive ... ) is not functionally superior to what you already have.

Look at what others are achieving with the kit you currently own. Do their images show whatever shortcomings you think your kit has? If not, chances are they have better technique. IME, better equipment rarely, if ever, improves one's technique.

Lenses are a different ball game entirely ...

The last lens I bought (recently) was purchased solely for its size and unobtrusiveness - an Olympus 14-42 EZ collapsible pancake zoom. It is tiny - 22mm thick (collapsed) - and optically somewhat questionable. However, it is perfect for my purpose - social photography. It effectively turns my E-M1 into a large, exceptionally high quality P&S. This lens will never be a replacement for my 'twins', 11-22 and 14-54 (EFL = 22-44 and 28-108). These are both exquisite, f/2.8-3.5, weather/dust sealed lenses. But they are big and heavy (around 500-600 gms each), and the 14-42 EZ is tiny and weighs 93 gms ...

Just some thoughts, FWIW.
    Last edited by John King; 21-01-2016 at 11:12am. Reason: Clarified

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx john king // I'm very happy with both lenses f2.8 70-200 (L) and f2.8 24-70 (L) canon lenses both perfect but looking on opinions on the body of the canon 7d m 11 from uses in this forum ..this body covers all my type of photography . cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7DII, had an original one in the past too.

Was pleasantly impressed with the new version, I quite liked my old 7D but the MKII is just that little bit better in pretty much every way.

Having AF at F8 with a 1.4x TC with the new AF system and 10FPS were the selling points for me, everything else was just gravy

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx mongo got my heart set on this one I recon

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please buy from a local Canon dealer, a few $ extra but you get piece of mind.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post
    Please buy from a local Canon dealer, a few $ extra but you get piece of mind.
    I totally agree with that, I bought my 7DMK11 15 months ago and locally from a Brick and Mortar Store, which I always do.
    Problems with the CF Pin FPC assembly in my 7DMK11 the first time I used it, it was replaced under warranty which Canon Australia refused to do till I mentioned going to the ACCC.
    Image what it would be like if you bought it from Overseas and had the same problem or others..

All my Bird images are taken with my 7DMK11 and Canon 300mm f/4 lens, mostly backyard Birds those Lorikeets move fast in the bird baths and its good for that.
    Sometimes I get down the beach to take Sea Birds in flight and it works well for me.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in all fairness everyone who has bought one is very happy , did anyone have to get there lenses calibrated to the body or is this a simple thing which can be done at home ?? haven't found any links on how to do it but should have mine by march

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to get my Canon 300mm f/4 and then the 300mm f/4 + 1.4 extender done I did not do it myself as I am past all that.
    One of the Members here did it for me when up this way..
    Type into the search box up the top on the right calibrating lens Here is one http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...brating+lenses

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for that camera and lens combo, but for a Σ and 30mm lens.
    I was initially alarmed and disappointed that I could not use AF (and the
    first time I ever had it on a lens) effectively. NO problem with MF, so that
    made me feel a bit better.

The process for me involved photographing a ruler inclined at 45° and making in-camera
    adjustments. It was pretty straightforward. It depends on what your camera has to do
    this. I can't imagine it would be too abstruse.

Just Google: "micro-af adjustment for canon 7d2"

Here's a video that starts off well.

Main point: does you camera have Micro-AF adjustment? If not, send-away job.

Looking more at the video, the setup looks very much like mine.

Yeah, the video is pretty good. He has a rather fancy test chart, but...

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky for me, though, my two other lenses, which are both zooms, are spot on across the range
    Last edited by ameerat42; 22-01-2016 at 1:57pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday poorman

The 7D MkII definitely has micro focus adjustment. See here.

These pages will also answer your questions regarding lens apertures and AF compatibility.
    Last edited by John King; 22-01-2016 at 4:21pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 To buying locally.

The higher dollar stuff are not worth the risk IMO. Plus if you shop smart you can get the difference down to as little as $100 if you get the sales and cash backs etc.

I haven't had to micro AF adjust my 7dII and 100-400II, with the 1.4x TC attached it seems pretty good so far but will likely get the test chart out eventually and test/adjust if needed.

I use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-SLC1...ibration+chart

Micro adjusting a body that has the ability to do so is pretty easy, just trial and error really.

I plan on getting one of these in the future though to try out

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/ind...ons/focal-pro/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hows the 7d mark 11 going morgo ? finally got mine and wow huge upgrade from the 550D .. seems a lot to learn with this one but will suit my type of photography...but believe it or not the 550d shot very sharp images and now I got to get my head around the 7d m11

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What camera did you upgrade from Damien? I'm currently thinking about the 7Dii but not really sure it's that great an advance from the 60D I have?? Thinking about getting better glass instead.
    Last edited by Mark L; 08-04-2016 at 12:52am. Reason: zpellin again
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mark I went from the canon 550d to the canon 7d mark 11 , but are going to keep using both as for glass I have 24-70 L lens and the 70-200 L lens ...last one is my fav never misses a beat

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of weeks now with 7d 11 and struggling with this camera has all up date but trying to work my way around it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Hows the 7d mark 11 going morgo ? finally got mine and wow huge upgrade from the 550D .. seems a lot to learn with this one but will suit my type of photography...but believe it or not the 550d shot very sharp images and now I got to get my head around the 7d m11
    Hi mate, mines still going strong. It has pretty much stayed on my 100-400 II, love this combo for a light weight option.

What issues have you been having?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just some focus issues switch to BBF tonight to give it a run , will shoot more tomorrow , just can't crack a sharp photo every shot at the moment seems one in every ten shots is ok ,going to clear the cases tomorrow and go back to case one for a run of shots ..keep yu posted . I have 2 pics up on my flickr page both ok ( flower and a bird ) cheers in - Homepage
    Last edited by poorman; 20-04-2016 at 10:23pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cased out one and using BBF now , seems within 20-30 ft ok ( distance shots become blurred - 70-200 L lens slowly but surely ill work it out maybe I expected too much from this camera as the Canon 550D cracked a sharp shot where ever you pointed it within distance .. will setup the old newspaper wall trick on say by tripod and reel some off then go into MF mode and see if theres any difference ..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you say you get blurred shots, you mean the subject is blurred but is anything else in focus? Are you shooting in Single Shot, AI-Servo, or AI-Focus? Are using a single focus point, a group of points, or area focussing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast