As the title suggests, I have a big problem.

Yesterday my Roxi, my Staffie, disturbed a female Pacific Black Duck in a pile of garden refuse in my yard. Yeah, I know, very messy.

Closer examination revealed a nest with about eight or ten eggs, which led me to the conclusion that Mrs Duck has been in residence for more than a day or two. Now this discovery, for me, would normally be one of much joy, however with the aforementioned Staffie's predisposition to kill and devour anything she finds in the yard it is now a concern.

Roxi has to date 'euthanised' more than a handful of Blue-tongued Lizards, some feral doves and mynahs, and a very non-feral Ring-tailed Possum, leaving only the possums tail, and one hind leg, as evidence. Whilst I'm typing this she is lying beside me as I watch an adult and juvi Blue-faced Honeyeater having a tub in the bird bath.

So what to do ? Do I try to re-locate the nest too a safer environment and hope the mother duck will follow and continue to sit? The strange thing is that when she rousted the duck from it's nest yesterday it landed about 10m away and she didn't go for it which is not like her at all.

I'm guessing the duck has been around for about a week so she has had plenty of opportunities to monster it. I don't really want to take the risk that she has 'accepted' it or doesn't know how to tackle it yet, and if it survives till the eggs hatch there will then be eight or ten fluffy little temptations to also worry about.

Is there any organisation that would be interested in re-locating mother and eggs?

Oh, and I suppose I could tie Roxi up till after the blessed event(s), incubation seemingly 26-30 days, but I'm not real happy with that idea and she wouldn't be either.

Any helpful suggestions most appreciated.