User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Trouble posting photos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble posting photos

Up until yesterday I have always posted photos for the Weekly Challenge and other places on this site using the Insert Image icon on the above toolbar and pasting a link from Photobucket into the URL field without any trouble whatsoever. Yesterday when I went to do the same I got Invalid URL or Invalid File depending on which link I used from Photobucket. I have cleared my cache. Have logged on and off again numerous times but I still cannot upload a photo. HELP!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scroll down in your post & you'll see "Manage Attachments", use this to load images off your computer. The insert Image icon should take url's from photo hosts.
    Filter

Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 12-40 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other way to do it Helen is directly to your post. So once you have copied the image info link on photobucket, in the text box on AP simply type

[img] then paste your image link in straight after that, then at the end of your image link type [/img] : Note the / before the 'img' in the second set of brackets. This is what the icon just automates.

So what you end up with is this:

[img]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/Agrarian-5436.jpg[/img]

Which when you submit your post, will display like this:

Last edited by ricktas; 18-01-2016 at 6:37am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, I will try that way though I am stiff baffled as to why all of a sudden it refuses to load the way I have been doing it since I joined the site. Has there been any changes I may be unaware of that could be affecting uploads?

Ausphotography Regular John King's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday Helen

Check to make sure that the URL you are pasting into the insert image dialog box ends in ".jpg". If it ends in HTM, HTML or just nothing, the forum s/w cannot recognise it as an image file, and gives the error message/s you have encountered.

Hope this helps.

br, John

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenClaire View Post
    Thanks Rick, I will try that way though I am stiff baffled as to why all of a sudden it refuses to load the way I have been doing it since I joined the site. Has there been any changes I may be unaware of that could be affecting uploads?
    It is possible that photobucket have changed the URL that you copy so that it no longer has the ".jpg" at the end of it. The "Insert Image" button seems to do a rough check of the URL to make sure it is an image by making sure your URL has the right ending. This isn't necessarily a valid check as it is quite feasible for a website to contain a link to an image that does not end in ".jpg". Doing what Rick suggests bypasses the "check" that "Insert Image" does, and allows the site to render whatever URL you add as an image. Not sure if vBulletin can be configured to have a less braindead image verifier... that would be a question for @Kym; or maybe an enhancement request to the developers of vBulletin...
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as above, the last bit of any linked image must be the filetype (jpg, gif, bmp) as that is the bit that tells the site software what sort of image it has to display. We have not done any software updates recently.

Have you tried a different internet browser?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also getting this error using this url:
    http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9rc52asy.jpg

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys (HC, Tands, Taz...)

This is indeed the era of troublesome tags You should have heard/seen the wailing and gnashing of teeth I engaged in
    when OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive, but who cares?) changed their simple "whack-the-image-url-between-[IMG]-tags" to something esoteric
    and still baffling to most users (on their support forum) a year later. (So now I mainly just [ATTACH])

Taz, I used some of your imagery...

The first here has the link labelled in Photobucket as "IMG". The second...(see below)...

This second one "also seemed to work" using the same link as you did in your "Scene of Green" post. This is a shorter link. It displayed in preview...

The upshot is, perhaps just use the ??new?? IMG URL they supply.

(Wish I could say the same for 1-Drive)

If you want to see the full text of the links, do a "Reply with quote", then DON'T necessarily reply.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-01-2016 at 8:55am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And remember if your external site provides a link that already contains all the img and/or URL tags, you should only paste that directly in the message editor window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing changed in terms of uploads in around 6 months
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gidday Tim

When you open the Insert Image dialog box, make certain that you select the From URL tab, and UNTICK the box that is already ticked labelled "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". If you don't untick this item, you will get a URL error. Here is your referenced image embedded using this method. Hope this helps a bit more.

Regards, john

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

My galleries contain all sorts of stuff, not just some pretty pictures.

ILCs: E-M1 MkII; E-M1; E-30; E-510; E-1
    Digital lenses: 14-42 EZ; 12-50 macro; f/4 12-100 Pro; 40-150R; f/2.8 25 pancake; f/2 50 macro; f/4 7~14; 11~22; 14~42; 14~45; 14~54 MkII; 40~150 MkI; 40~150 MkII; 50~200 MkI; EX-25; EC-14

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helen, I think this unlikely but worth checking: You're not copying an 'abbreviated' URL are you? Note in taztek's post above the URL displays as:

i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9rc52asy.jpg

(note the "..." above), but actually links to:

i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/taztekk/Scene%20of%20Green_zps9rc52asy.jpg

(Note I removed the "http" part from above URLs because the system automatically inserts url tags, which I don't want here).

If I just copied the display text and put it between IMG tags I'd get an error as it's not the correct full URL.

Off topic: very nice kitchen at casa del ricktas

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Gidday Helen

Check to make sure that the URL you are pasting into the insert image dialog box ends in ".jpg". If it ends in HTM, HTML or just nothing, the forum s/w cannot recognise it as an image file, and gives the error message/s you have encountered.

Hope this helps.

br, John
    Yep it always ends in jpg. As I said totally baffling

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    as above, the last bit of any linked image must be the filetype (jpg, gif, bmp) as that is the bit that tells the site software what sort of image it has to display. We have not done any software updates recently.

Have you tried a different internet browser?
    Yep tried that too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    And remember if your external site provides a link that already contains all the img and/or URL tags, you should only paste that directly in the message editor window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried that but all that displays is the link. No photo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Gidday Tim

When you open the Insert Image dialog box, make certain that you select the From URL tab, and UNTICK the box that is already ticked labelled "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". If you don't untick this item, you will get a URL error. Here is your referenced image embedded using this method. Hope this helps a bit more.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9rc52asy.jpg

BINGO!!!!!!
    That's it. I unticked the box and hey presto the photo loads. Was that box there before? Never really took any notice. Anyway a Big Thank you to John and everyone else as I now have a few ways to upload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff, Helen. Always good when these things are finally overcome .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenClaire View Post
    BINGO!!!!!!
    That's it. I unticked the box and hey presto the photo loads. Was that box there before? Never really took any notice. Anyway a Big Thank you to John and everyone else as I now have a few ways to upload
    At work I'd now be telling the team in Kuala Lumpur to write a work instruction