User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Drones: love 'em or hate 'em ...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drones: love 'em or hate 'em ...

In general, I hate drones. Just the name conjures up thoughts of evil forces of the future .. kind'a thing!

But when the idea/tech was new, it was interesting.
    Then they were everywhere, and banality, unoriginality, me too syndrome .. and all round annoyance generally set it.

BUT! .. when they reinvent ways to use some invention in interesting ways .. I'll like the invention again!

ps. I love the idea of drones again(until some other idiot comes along and copies this video I'm linking too )

Note: I'm not all that interested in drones myself, so don't really gravitate towards drone related news/articles. So I'm not sure if this is a new idea in itself, or not. It's simply done brilliantly tho!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good find -
    Thanks for putting it up so we could all see and enjoy. By far the best use of a drone yet

Cheers ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Close encounters of the drone kind:

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome - thanks for sharing.
    Glenda

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just simply amazing - I had to watch it a number of times
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stunning! You'd hate to get some interference that screwed up your communication with your drones. They were all being very tightly controlled by the computer systems on the ground knowing precisely where each drone was, so if you lost contact with one drone, it could create a disaster
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that AK, brilliant bit of tech stuff.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think where this is going to be incredible is the movement to passenger capacity drones. There is a company in china who are already taking orders for a $300K drone that will take a passenger 100km's, no pilots license required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGd1Oy7Cw0

They are apparently safer than helicopters because they can still land with one prop although its a spinning bumpy landing but thats still better than a crash where you die. (obviously there are autorotations in helicopters but not every situation will allow for them)
    Last edited by MissionMan; 18-01-2016 at 2:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. All that time I was hoping they would play the iconic melody from Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It reminded me of the kinetic light sculpture

"It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic images, the things that some people can do with the technology is amazing. I don't have any problems with drones, but what I do have a problem with is the fact that any muppet with enough cash can buy one and fly it....
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post
    Fantastic images, the things that some people can do with the technology is amazing. I don't have any problems with drones, but what I do have a problem with is the fact that any muppet with enough cash can buy one and fly it....
    .. similar concerns to mine.
    And what that usually means(and no disrespect to those sensible types that can afford them!!) .. is that inevitably those muppets abuse the freedom of such an interest!

Remember the doofuses that couldn't resist the urge to fly their drones into a (bush)fire zone (I think) out in Eastern Victoria .. not too long ago!
    With helicopters trying to come in to waterbomb the area, it made for a possible dangerous situation.
    Whether it was dangerous or not isn't the point .. the possibility of some incident unfolding when the conditions are already dangerous is the point here.

People just can't help themselves due to indefatigable selfishness! The unrelenting need to serve one's own interest seems to be the force majeure of the world today!
    Forget about cataclysmic earthquakes, avalanches, tsunamis or global warming as the issues for 'end of the world' events .. human stupidity is surely going to kill off all life on Earth long before any other event will.

ps. apologies for the tirade, just saw an article on Petapixel (about the baby dolphin) that must surely rank as one of the worst instances of human(selfishness) behaviour ever!

So what the world really needs is another new toy for those selfish types to allow them to wreak havoc on the world!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    With helicopters trying to come in to waterbomb the area, it made for a possible dangerous situation.
    Whether it was dangerous or not isn't the point .. the possibility of some incident unfolding when the conditions are already dangerous is the point here.

Agree. I spent many years in the aviation world, and the amount of effort that goes into ensuring that engines are bird strike resistant shows how seriously the natural air users are taken. With even helicopters travelliing at speeds measured in hundreds of km/h, even running into a little drone at that speed has the potential to cause significant damage which could result in the loss of the aircraft. Don't get me started on idiots flying drones into the approach pattern of airports....

I saw the same story on the dolphin selfies, just what sort of future generations have we unleashed on this world?

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post

I saw the same story on the dolphin selfies, just what sort of future generations have we unleashed on this world?
    my reply(and I assume many others replies) would be heavily censured(automagically) by the site's software!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Remember the doofuses that couldn't resist the urge to fly their drones into a (bush)fire zone (I think) out in Eastern Victoria .. not too long ago!
    As a Firefighter, drones are our best friends and our worst enemies. There are plans in the works here in SA to implement drones as a way to conduct an initial assessment of a structure fire without actually sending in a firefighter to do the same thing (as we do now). The theory is that they will be controlled by operators in the Communications centre and can be on scene and making initial assessments prior to the first crew arriving.

The flip side to that is that if a drone is spotted on a fireground, all aircraft are grounded immediately which makes our job as boots on the ground that much harder. And that's just at bush fires. I've heard stories of drones overheating while flying over house fires and just dropping out of the sky. But I guess it's just another occupational hazard...

Cheers,

S.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-1...nberra/7185202

Quote Originally Posted by spootz01 View Post
    As a Firefighter, drones are our best friends and our worst enemies.
    I think they certainly have some advantages to get an initial visual sitreps. Quicker and cheaper than getting a manned aircraft in the air.
    In N.S.W. there's been a couple of times all air opps were stopped at big fires because of a small mind with a small drone.