Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon D500 DX camera

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I'm interested in this as a second body to go with my D750 and replace my aging D700.

Looks like a nice piece of work. I would have liked the D5 as well but Ausphotography are skimping on their presents this year and all I got was larger image sizes
    Considering how you have been so far this year, you are on the naughty list, so you better pull your socks up.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Tokyo at the moment and the local price for a D500 is AU$3,000!!! In Oz they are going to be under $2,500 - I've already had notification. Every Nikon lens I have seen over here is dearer than you can buy locally in Oz.

So yours is on standby Lance ready for a Easter shoot.....Noice ...... Looking forward for your results to shine through

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since demand is high shipment has been delayed till End April to Oz

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WELL

Seems Corporate Nikon World has mandated the rrp in Oz

Guess what !

Its gone up to what some reseller advertised for and I pre ordered

Looks like to start price on debut $2770

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    WELL

Seems Corporate Nikon World has mandated the rrp in Oz

Guess what !

Its gone up to what some reseller advertised for and I pre ordered

Looks like to start price on debut $2770
    Well it would be unlawful for a wholesaler to dictate what a retailer can charge for a product wouldn't it?
    Therefore dealers will be able to sell them for whatever they feel like, I already see it available as a preorder for $5.00 cheaper than your price cupic.

But hey, in the world of cameras you just think like cars, you are buying a Porsche ( Nikon ) and not a Proton ( Canon )
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually not too bad .. even tho it's wayyy overpriced.
    Taking into account that the US price is $2K, and considering the current exchange rate .. it should be over $2.8K!

So just under $2.8K is OK .. although still overpriced.

If they come down to below AU$2K .. I'll open my wallet for one too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will drop eventually. I tend to wait for the specials to start before I buy. I bought my D750 for about $300-400 below retail and it wasn't long after it was released.

That said, I think people who complain about the price need to be aware that's its not in line with something like the D300. It's a pro quality DX body which may appeal to a lot of sports photographers who don't need the wider side. It's bigger than the full frame D750, has weather proofing and runs at the same speed as the D4 with a D5 focus engine. I'm pretty impressed overall with what it is.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That said, I think people who complain about the price need to be aware that's its not in line with something like the D300. It's a pro quality DX body which may appeal to a lot of sports photographers who don't need the wider side.
    It is exactly an evolution from the D200 - D300 series bodies that are robust and reliable. Time moves quickly and the D500 will actually be cheaper than the relative D200 - D300 prices at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

If they come down to below AU$2K .. I'll open my wallet for one too.
    I will consider opening my wallet for one when the 2x D200 bodies here die so I reckon I might buy one in 5 years time.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Tokyo at the moment and the local price for a D500 is AU$3,000!!! In Oz they are going to be under $2,500 - I've already had notification. Every Nikon lens I have seen over here is dearer than you can buy locally in Oz.

So yours is on standby Lance ready for a Easter shoot.....Noice ...... Looking forward for your results to shine through

cheers
    You were in Tokyo on the 26th January? What a coincidence, so was I! My wife and I were in Kyoto from the 19th to the 22nd, and then in Tokyo from the 22nd to the 27th. It's a shame I didn't know you were there, we could have met up and had dinner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    It is exactly an evolution from the D200 - D300 series bodies that are robust and reliable. Time moves quickly and the D500 will actually be cheaper than the relative D200 - D300 prices at launch.

I will consider opening my wallet for one when the 2x D200 bodies here die so I reckon I might buy one in 5 years time.
    I agree they were robust but the D300 never had weather sealing. I think they've moved it into the same realm as the D800 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, give them to me, I'll kill 'em in no time!

I'm sort of in the market(really really sort of!) as I kind'a killed the poor ol D70s.
    Actually my son started the process, noticing a spec on the mirror which I know he tried to clean. Anyhow, when he got back from his trip, he told me about it and I went to investigate. Barely touched the mirror surface and it flaked off. Now it's pretty useless, so I 'experimented' a little with the mirror surface and it's even more useless now.

So 'fingers' gets the D300 as his main camera(as the D70s is uselessly useless!) and lil miss 13 also wants a better camera than the compact she's had for a while now(she's out grown it).
    So I've had a D5500 on my hit list for a while .. but a D500 could be a better long term prospect.
    Anyhow, my thinking cap has definitely come out of retirement .. but as always with new Nikon gear .. waiting is certainly the best foot forward at this point.
    Other people can be the Nikon crash test dummies!

I agree they were robust but the D300 never had weather sealing. I think they've moved it into the same realm as the D800 series ...
    I remember that spec. it is weather resistant, but not weather sealed as MM says.

BUT! idiot me one day was out in the bush(past Clunes), and the weather looked almost ideal. Bit of intermittent rain here and there but not much and easy to predict.
    Anyhow, I had the camera on the tripod, and I'm waiting for the right moment. half hour or so passes and I'm getting bored, so I walk back to the car to get a 'nail for the coffin'.
    I'm sitting there with the door half open and got distracted whilst enjoying the nail .. and even tho I knew it was raining .. I never really bothered to notice it.
    Then after a few mindless minutes I remembered the camera! .. it was drenched. Siggy 10-20 was fogged up a little inside camera dripping wet, lens soaked .. etc.
    This was about 8 odd years ago now. Never been a problem. So I'd feel confident enough to shoot in rain with the D300 even tho it only has minimal weather resistance.
    The only issue I have with the D300 is that the rear LCD screen is slightly fogged up, but in a weird way. It's been wiped from the inside. Camera is mine from new, never been touched mechanically, but there is this smeary wipe mark on the inside of the LCD. It looks to me that it's an issue directly from the production line somehow(maybe the line worker didn't clean the surface properly .. and it slowly surfaced after some time. I actually only noticed it a short time after it's first trip to the snow when it fogged up badly making the wipe mark very obvious. This was before the rain soaking in the bush too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    OK, give them to me, I'll kill 'em in no time!

I'm sort of in the market(really really sort of!) as I kind'a killed the poor ol D70s.
    Actually my son started the process, noticing a spec on the mirror which I know he tried to clean. Anyhow, when he got back from his trip, he told me about it and I went to investigate. Barely touched the mirror surface and it flaked off. Now it's pretty useless, so I 'experimented' a little with the mirror surface and it's even more useless now.

So 'fingers' gets the D300 as his main camera(as the D70s is uselessly useless!) and lil miss 13 also wants a better camera than the compact she's had for a while now(she's out grown it).
    So I've had a D5500 on my hit list for a while .. but a D500 could be a better long term prospect.
    Anyhow, my thinking cap has definitely come out of retirement .. but as always with new Nikon gear .. waiting is certainly the best foot forward at this point.
    Other people can be the Nikon crash test dummies!

I remember that spec. it is weather resistant, but not weather sealed as MM says.

BUT! idiot me one day was out in the bush(past Clunes), and the weather looked almost ideal. Bit of intermittent rain here and there but not much and easy to predict.
    Anyhow, I had the camera on the tripod, and I'm waiting for the right moment. half hour or so passes and I'm getting bored, so I walk back to the car to get a 'nail for the coffin'.
    I'm sitting there with the door half open and got distracted whilst enjoying the nail .. and even tho I knew it was raining .. I never really bothered to notice it.
    Then after a few mindless minutes I remembered the camera! .. it was drenched. Siggy 10-20 was fogged up a little inside camera dripping wet, lens soaked .. etc.
    This was about 8 odd years ago now. Never been a problem. So I'd feel confident enough to shoot in rain with the D300 even tho it only has minimal weather resistance.
    The only issue I have with the D300 is that the rear LCD screen is slightly fogged up, but in a weird way. It's been wiped from the inside. Camera is mine from new, never been touched mechanically, but there is this smeary wipe mark on the inside of the LCD. It looks to me that it's an issue directly from the production line somehow(maybe the line worker didn't clean the surface properly .. and it slowly surfaced after some time. I actually only noticed it a short time after it's first trip to the snow when it fogged up badly making the wipe mark very obvious. This was before the rain soaking in the bush too.
    You may pick up that the wipe marks relate to the original cleaning in the factory and the water inside the camera now shows it up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may pick up that the wipe marks relate to the original cleaning in the factory and the water inside the camera now shows it up.
    There's no water inside. There may be some condensation of some type .. it'd be very minimal and obviously after near on 8 years of it .. at least 7! .. it's not a problem.

Looking head on to the LCD you can't see it, but tilt it to shine in a specific angle to the available light and it's clearly visible.

Like I implied, the snow trip was prior to the drenching trip. Snow trip was circa 2008.
    But water never got inside the LCD that is, no obvious water ingress like dripping streak along the surfaces of the LCD. Just the air based humidity of the atmosphere, where it fogged up.

So the D300 is (for me) a non issue.
    The real problem child now is the D70s! they want about $100 for a mirror/shutter assembly, but the camera is barely worth all of about $50!
    I can't bring myself to pension it off either, and I'd like to do a dedicated IR conversion for it(D70s sensor is great for IR).

Anyhow .. just some thoughts .. mmmmm D500 .. having just now seen the price of a K-1 .. D500 sounds like it's so wayyy over priced .. I may convert myself to Pentax!

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it would be unlawful for a wholesaler to dictate what a retailer can charge for a product wouldn't it?
    Therefore dealers will be able to sell them for whatever they feel like, I already see it available as a preorder for $5.00 cheaper than your price cupic.

But hey, in the world of cameras you just think like cars, you are buying a Porsche ( Nikon ) and not a Proton ( Canon )
    I know I had it for 2360 but then came the call thats its 2770
    Lowest now is 2639
    See my meaning

- - - Updated - - -

They will drop eventually. I tend to wait for the specials to start before I buy. I bought my D750 for about $300-400 below retail and it wasn't long after it was released.

That said, I think people who complain about the price need to be aware that's its not in line with something like the D300. It's a pro quality DX body which may appeal to a lot of sports photographers who don't need the wider side. It's bigger than the full frame D750, has weather proofing and runs at the same speed as the D4 with a D5 focus engine. I'm pretty impressed overall with what it is.

Same here D750 was low 1900 when bought

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    You were in Tokyo on the 26th January? What a coincidence, so was I! My wife and I were in Kyoto from the 19th to the 22nd, and then in Tokyo from the 22nd to the 27th. It's a shame I didn't know you were there, we could have met up and had dinner.

ROFL that was your post Lance I just paste it to my response
    If I was in Japan I would look you up

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROFL that was your post Lance I just paste it to my response
    If I was in Japan I would look you up
    Whoops. Your post didn't have "Lance B quote" on it and I thought you must have been there as well. I do vaguely remember posting that, but I had sent so many texts to people and posts regarding the D500 price in Japam that I couldn't remember that actual post on Ausphotography.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting reason why you'd want to upgrade from the old slow CF format to the newer XQD format!

Text is all in Japanese, but it's not hard to decipher the results.
    The really annoying section of the video is towards the very end when they do the card to PC transfer tests.
    No need to wait for the full minute and half for the old slow card!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking at these with interest, looking longer term for a replacement for my D7000. I have recently bought some new lenses, so this will need to wait until 2017. Some may have noticed I have been a bit quiet lately. I have been on medical leave since last August, and while image making has been good for me I am a little less talkative than usual, especially if I have to think of something meaningful to say

I'll try to keep it clean!
    Last edited by NRandall; 04-03-2016 at 10:19pm.
    Main Body D800E plus a bunch of other Nikon stuff
    "The eye sees what it wants to see and the camera sees the rest" Nick

sapiens populus eo per camelus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally like see Nikon illuminate the back buttons on this and the D750 like they have on the D4
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    I would personally like see Nikon illuminate the back buttons on this and the D750 like they have on the D4
    such a simple, but great idea. woulkd prefer that to half of the other upgrades incorporated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12