User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Sigma Art 24mm 1.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma Art 24mm 1.4

Just wondering members thoughts and what you think of your own 'real world' tests on this lens? I already have the 50mm ART and think it's brilliant on my D800e.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to be a fantastic lens according to a few people that I know who have it. There is a poster over at DP Review, Mike (anothermike) who I have shared many Private Messages with as we discuss the various merits of certain lenses, that has done some testing on many wide angle and short telephoto lenses. He is a very well respected contributor over there. Here are his thoughts on the Sigma vs Nikon 24 f1.4:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56293034

He has also done some tests on the 24 f1.8:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56890387

Now, you need to bear in mind that he is mostly shooting at landscape apertures, like f8, and landscape distances, he does make this point in his reviews but it again worth noting. If you use these lenses for other purposes as well as landscape shots, like shooting at the wider apertures like f2 for subject isolation and focusing closer in than at landscape distances, then you may need to look at other resources as he really doesn't cover that area very much at all. He also doesn't cover things like bokeh very much as this is more for the wider-aperture-close-in-with nicely-blurred-backgound type photo. We have discussed this over Private Messages extensively over at DPR and I have come to the conclusion that I will keep my Nikon 24 f1.4 as it better covers my preferences which is a mix of close in wide aperture shots and also landscape shots. Whatever the case, I am sure that either the Sigma 24 f1.4, Nikon 24 f1.4 or the Nikon 24 f1.8 will be great lenses.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the links Lance. It was difficult to find real world testing online and your link to Mike's was a beauty for anyone considering this lens. I have noted in my research that the Sigma isn't weather sealed, compared the Nikon, so that may be a small factor in the Nikon's favour when out shooting in different conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fyi Sigma have a new lens coming out, the 20mm f1.4 ART

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
    fyi Sigma have a new lens coming out, the 20mm f1.4 ART
    Better than that, it's already available.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used the sigma or nikkor for astrophotography?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards

Wayne

Nikon D610, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5, Manfrotto & MeFOTO tripods, Ninja pano head & LEE filters