Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: new 1200 x 1200 size

Ausphotography Regular thegrump's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new 1200 x 1200 size

Am finding the new size a little annoying, as I do not get the whole picture on my computer screen. Does that mean I need a bigger screen ( I hope ) or is everyone having the same problem. Please write a letter to my wife demanding I get a bigger screen.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes you need a bigger screen.

OR use Ctrl and - (minus) to fit the photo into your screen, then Ctrol and 0 (zero) to reset the screen size
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What have you got your screen resolution set to? (And what monitor?)

Surely 1200 should fit across the monitor, though you might have to scoll up/down a bit.

It would be TERRIBL(y) good, I suspect, if you HAD to get a new monitor
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 Samsung 530mm x 300mm second screen Benq 1280 x 1024 - 340mm x 270mm

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Like my Asus. A bit of scrolling up and down.
    (Think yo-yos)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-01-2016 at 6:16pm.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Photography = expensive hobby..esp when your fave website makes you fork out more for a bigger screen too

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a cheap fix (for the price of strong reading glasses) do a Ctrl-Scroll mouse wheel,
    or Ctrl-(minus key) until the picture fits. But you might find the text too small

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm stuggling with the larger sizes as well. I don't want to have to go +/- continually. If they are too large, I'm now just moving onto another thread where the photos are smaller and more in my comfort zone

There is also the problem that some of the Flickr images are loading the original large sized photos here in AP, and some of these are over 5mb in size. I'm not sure why. Some people seem to link Flickr photos where this doesn't happen, but others are causing problems. I would imagine this is causing problems for people on slower internet connections.

The other problem is, that for images to be large, they must be of excellent quality to display well. That is all right for experienced photographers/photoshoppers, but for some of the less experienced photographers, it tends to exaggerate lack of focus, noise etc and make the photos look worse than they are.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Re flickr, it depends what size members link in. They have always been able to link in whatever size they wanted to, and the site resizes it for display once it has downloaded. But as you say farmmax some are big file KB sizes as well as being big pixel sizes. This has always been an issue as we cannot set limits on linked images.

Re the 1200 sizes, we always knew it would be an issue for some, just as the previous 1024 has been occasionally for members user phones, tablets and netbook computers. Unfortunately there is no 'perfect' image size. And we wanted to try and improve the quality of images on the site, by allowing members to present larger images, with less jpg compression. When AP started we allowed 150KB and 800 pixel images. So the KB size has nearly tripled since then, but the pixel size has not even doubled, in the same time.

My apologies to those that are finding this an annoyance.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Farmmax and TG. If you do not want to continuously Ctrl-scroll/mouse-wheel, remember that:
    1) a quick return from any scrolled size is Ctrl-0 (zero),

and better

2) Go full-screen with F11 (and return from there the same way).

Full screen hides the menu bar and tabs.

Farmmax only: All images from Flickr can appear at least momentarily at their full size while downloading until re-sized by AP.
    The larger size depends on download speed to some extent AFAICS.

- - - Updated - - -

Ie, the Flickr images have to be loaded at full size first before they can be re-sized by AP.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 06-01-2016 at 7:11am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is unrelated, but Im new to this upload manager bizzo and was wondering what a good safe uploader for windows 10 would b if anyone could help please....Td
    Last edited by Trobdang; 06-01-2016 at 6:14pm.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trobdang View Post
    I ... was wondering what a good safe uploader for windows 10 would b if anyone could help please....Td
    Now, TD, what do you mean by "uploader" here? I suspect you might mean some site where you can upload your pictures and then
    link them to your posts in AP here. If this is so, then people will say "Flickr", "Photobucket", "Dropbox". If this is so, then it is not related to
    Win 10 or any other operating system.

If the foregoing is wrong, please let us know what you want to do.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 06-01-2016 at 6:25pm.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know this is unrelated, but Im new to this upload manager bizzo and was wondering what a good safe uploader for windows 10 would b if anyone could help please....Td
    Instructions here for uploading directly to AP, or using Flickr etc : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...dexes:How_Do_I

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not very clear was I... Sorry I am a little tech savvy but other things do my head in until I figure it out. What I am trying to work out is what is the best way to upload photos to say the cc forum.....when I go through the process and use the upload a photo link as explained in the how do I.... it asks for a url !!! can I not get them straight from my computer onto the forum

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not very clear was I... Sorry I am a little tech savvy but other things do my head in until I figure it out. What I am trying to work out is what is the best way to upload photos to say the cc forum.....when I go through the process and use the upload a photo link as explained in the how do I.... it asks for a url !!! can I not get them straight from my computer onto the forum
    Yes you can, use the paperclip icon that appears in all the icons above the post box when you start a thread. Your photos must be 1200 pixels or under on the longest side and under 400kb otherwise they will not upload.

Once you have uploaded them, and written what you want to say, use the preview button to see how your post will look, then hit submit.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-01-2016 at 6:39pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im so sorry to seem like a dummy but normaly I can figure this stuff out.....I have gone into the cc forum for beginners and I have clicked on the create a new thread and this text box comes up but I cant see the paper clip......I know im gonna kick myself when I find it

- - - Updated - - -

Hold the phone....I think I found it...Lol doesn't look much like a paper clip but it opens up a box called file upload manager where I can get files from my computer......Thank you

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TD. OK, so you want to upload direct from your PC to the forum.

Well, if your picture is set to the right size (max 1200 pixels long side AND max 400KB), then you follow the instructions
    that are found in this Library article here.

In that article, the 1st picture shows you what the posting area looks like when you start a NEW thread. You can see the "paperclip" button in the top row of buttons towards the right side
    (the first one after the smiley button). When you click on it you will start the Uploader for AP.

Now the screen will look rather like the 9th image down the page. This one has red outlines around "Add Files" and "Insert Inline".

Click on the "Add Files" and then go and search your computer for the properly sized image you want to upload.

Follow the instructions as outlined in the next several images.

The files you upload will appear in both the "Home" area AND also in the "Attachments" area.

Make sure that the pictures you want to attach are ticked, then click on "Insert Inline".

The codes for the attached pictures will appear in your post as...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]xxxxxx[/ATTACH] for a single image, or...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]yyyyyy[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]zzzzzz[/ATTACH] for two images or more.

You can put spaces or press Enter to separate the pictures.

This may look hard and long-winded, but after you've done it once or twice it'll be a breeze.

And finally, so that you DON'T muck things up too much, use the Test Zone to practise.
    When you're happy, you can delete the images in the practice thread. People will help you there, and the images there are NOT for CC, just practice.

Last edited by ameerat42; 06-01-2016 at 7:09pm.