User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the business of photography dead?

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah . Dick Smith. I read that a US company had bought Dick Smith for something less than $100 million from Woolworths. They immediately wrote down all the stock and then proceeded to sell it for a handsome profit (well, not really, but it looked good on the books). They then floated Dick Smith publicly for $500 million and quietly sold all their stock. Dick Smith subsequently discovered they had no money and sank. Now that's the way to make money - and it's perfectly legal. I think they are known as "bottom feeders" in the business.

But back to weddings, I mean photography.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    To put it in context, look at Dick Smith. Everyone went there for parts a decade ago and when they were taken over by Woolworths their product line simulated Big W and that was the beginning of the end. Their product range was reduced by 80%.
    Not sure about the product range simulating Big W. Otherwise Big W would be in more strife than they are.
    The big problem with Dick Smith since Woolworths sold it (good move for them) was that they were trying to sell things that people didn't really want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12