Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying first DSLR

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    You will learn a whole heap with the lens you have.

I wouldn't be worrying about another lens at this stage. Did you have a look at the link that I posted above?

Cage won't be getting to excited about another lens, but will keep an eye out for a good deal if it comes up... Have spent this evening playing in very low light just on dark. Very interesting how it can deal with the low light, with out a flash.

Thanks
    Shane

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that when you say you got the D5500, you got it with just the one kit lens(kit lens was mentioned in your OP).

Or did you get a twin kit lens kit .. ie. 18-55 + 55-200 lenses ?

One other relatively cheap lens you could look into getting sooner rather than later is something like the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lens, or the Sigma 105/2.8OS

Obviously I have no idea what kinds of captures she concentrates on, but my experience with my daughter(similar age), plus my son! ... is that they love to get up close and personal with various subjects.
    I just assume that kids in this age bracket are simply curious about what makes stuff

Anyhow, I gave my old D70s to my son, and he's got use of any of my lenses as he feels the need, but I also got him a general purpose 18-105VR lens, which he predominantly uses.
    He's not very artistically inclined, but does the odd anime drawing every now and then.
    He's shown the odd flash of artist coming out, but in the end his only interest involve computer games of some form!

My daughter(now 13) is very into art. She love to paint, draw, etc .. and recently gotten into music too.
    A few years ago I purchased her own dedicated camera and I wanted it to be all encompassing for her with many user enhancements for her to play with.
    While it's not a serious tool, the Android based system of the Galaxy Camera gave her more inspiration and motivation to delve deeper into photography, and or video .. as she wanted.
    So for about 2 years or so, she loved that camera, but last spring we were camping and it drove her mad. She wanted to concentrate on macro stuff. While the Galaxy Camera has a macro mode, it's far too unresponsive for dynamic macro scenes(eg. chasing insects or flowers blowing in the wind .. etc).

I'm contemplating getting her a D5500(or maybe a D5300) just for this purpose, and she can start off using my 105VR for macro.

D5500 is a very small and lightweight camera, basically as small as an EM5 anyhow .. so why buy an EM5?

My observations re using other lensesfrom both my son and daughter)

a 70-200/2.8 is way too big for them! Son loved it for a few moments tried to get some shots of a rainbow lori, and gave up just as quickly when he complained of the weight. Wanted his 18-105VR back immediately.
    Problem with the likes of the ultra zoom type 18-250/270/300 type lenses .. they focus too slowly for impatient kids.
    The likes of a nice fast 24-70/2.8 seems enticing at first, but then the limited zoom range and large size of those lenses becomes an annoyance for them(and hence yourself).

Because you got yourself into a Nikon system, I'd highly recommend the 18-140VR as a general purpose lens for her(unless you did end up with the twin lens kit!), and a nice macro lens if she's into closeups too.

You'll get many recommendations of the 50/1.8 AF-S as well ... and for all intents and purposes seems like a nice cheap lens, but in that instance I reckon the Tammy 60/2 Macro would prove more versatile.

35/1.8 AF-S was a great choice too btw!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi arthurking,

Bought the D5500 Body only. The one 35mm lens to start with.
    My 12 13 year old Daughter may be able to do everything via touch screen on the D5500, but at least there is still a button to press to take the photo, so I feel confident...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmzDad View Post
    Hi arthurking,

Bought the D5500 Body only. The one 35mm lens to start with.

then I highly recommend that 18-140VR lens to help her along too.

While it's no uber lens, in the same vein as a 58 noct, or 85/1.4 ... it's image quality is nice.

The main point is that it's cheap enough(~$400) to not worry too much about her damaging it over time, and it's got enough flexibility she may be looking for .... for now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123