Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying first DSLR

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MM,
    I have looked into Mirrorless, and if it was me alone I would be buying a Sony A7II full frame, simple... but it is not about me. As per my original post we spent some time yesterday handling cameras, Mirrorless ILC's and DSLR. At the end of the day the D5500 fitted and felt most comfortable in the persons hands that has to use it the most. I made sure we tried different length /weight lenses to see how it felt weight wise etc...

The ultimate goal here is to make sure my daughter holds and grows her interest in photography, so I have to give her some freedom to choose.

Hence also the add-ons as such must be able to be taken to the next body we purchase.

She is only 12 now but hand size is not to much of a issue, I am 6'6 and her mum not much shorter... Poor kid has big feet and hands like her dad... . She could hold the Canon 5D and Nikon D750 quiet well, the Sony/ Olympus/ Pentax same same... It really come down to overall comfort and ability to accesses the controls, the D5500 won in that area.

I had not really looked at the D5500 seriously, had read a few reviews and looked at the specs, as I was biased towards a Full Frame camera. So I had a spent most of my time researching Canon/ Sony/ Nikon Full Frame cameras.

Thanks
    Shane

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I guess I just made the assumption she would have small hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Am suggested I'd do lots of googling on the Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD. It's probably a good lens for happy snaps but as I said above when a lens tries to be all things for all people it does things reasonably well throughout it's range, but doesn't do anything particularly well.

The best lens in any given situation is a prime lens, ie one the has a fixed focal length. With zoom lens the more you stretch the zoom range, the less efficient it becomes at all distances.

As you seem to be leaning toward some length I'll throw up another scenario for your consideration, budget allowing. A Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (I also have one and give it , and I'm a hard marker) and pair it with the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, a lens dedicated to the APS-C format of the D5500 which means it will give you an actual 35mm lens, not super wide, but a good starter for your closer shots. You will have no trouble on-selling it when you work out what you really need regards focal length.

You will then have a 35mm prime and a very good zoom covering the 105-300mm zoom range.

I make this suggestion because I believe, from your comments above, that you wish to buy equipment to grow into and not quickly grow out of.

A well regarded photography commentator, ByThom (Google him) commented that camera bodies come and go, but good lens and a good tripod/head combo should be with you for a very long time.

Oh, and I did a lot of research on carry bags and eventually bought a Lowepro. Guess how many times I've used it in four years.
    Nil, nada, zip. Unless you are going trekking it is something I wouldn't have near the top of my 'to get list'.

Shane, I was in your situation about five years back and remember how confusing it all was, struggling with a new terminology, trying to get the most appropriate gear for my still unsure of uses, and wanting to get the most bang for my buck.

Keep asking questions on the forum. There are plenty of helpful people here and although we don't always agree you will eventually get a consensus of what may be the best kit for your needs and budget.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cage,

Plan of purchase I think will be D5500 body, not quiet sure about what to use the gift card $150 for from the store... guess I do need a Memory card to use the camera... so that may be the first thing to use the gift card on... was looking at the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D ($120) seems that this is a very good lens for the price... and after a lot of reading seems most recommend this as a awesome little lens to have.

Will research the 35mm one though first before purchasing.

Cage, just did a quick look through the manufactures site for the 35mm lens, there is a video about it, guess what it was mounted to, D5500
    Last edited by EmzDad; 29-12-2015 at 11:59am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane, I'm reasonably sure the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D won't auto focus on the D5500 as it doesn't have a built in focus motor. You need the AF-S line of lens to auto-focus on that camera.

Why I suggested the 35mm was to give you some width if you go the 70-200mm route.

And yes, you will need a memory card. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s and I'd suggest a 16GB which will give you about 640 shots before you will need to re-format it.
    Last edited by Cage; 29-12-2015 at 1:06pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye out for some second hand decent specials for landscape shots. I recently bought the Sigma ART 18-35mm F1.8 second hand for $300 cheaper than retail. In almost new condition. Nothing wrong with it and it is a dream for landscapes and some macro/portraits. I also bought a Sigma DG HSM 50mm prime lens for portraits and macro and it works brilliantly compared to my old 18-55mm Nikkor lens. It comes down to looking for a deal. Certain places have deals all the time to trade in their lenses for an upgrade. Definitely check it out.
    Cheers
    Shav

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Shane, I'm reasonably sure the Nikon AF 50mm F1.8D won't auto focus on the D5500 as it doesn't have a built in focus motor. You need the AF-S line of lens to auto-focus on that camera.

Why I suggested the 35mm was to give you some width if you go the 70-200mm route.

And yes, you will need a memory card. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s and I'd suggest a 16GB which will give you about 640 shots before you will need to re-format it.
    Agreed. That's a pretty good speed. Any faster probably would not be any use to the camera. And it is GOOD for hi-speed transfer via USB 3.
    I get quite by with 2 Sandisk cards of 60MB/sec. In addition, I AGREE with getting a few cards of lesser storage capacity - such as 16GB - rather than
    one of say 32GB or 64GB. (Something to do with smashing eggs in one basket if it carks it)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay body purchased, then used the gift card to help by a Scandisk Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-1 in 32gb and the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm F/1.8G as a starter. So at least Em can start using it and get into some of the learning library more.

Cage what you said made sense about being able to sell the 35mm at some time if I want to.

Shav, have started the look for a second hand lens, will take my time with this part. Was pushed a little with purchase of body as deal finishes at end of December at local store here and we head back out of Brisbane towards home tomorrow.
    Happy to buy new if can't find good second hand lenses.

Thanks
    Shane

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, and glad you didn't grab the AF 50mm F1.8D.

Now comes the fun part, finding out what all those buttons and menu items are for.

Enjoy the journey.

For some shots with your new kit, have a look here. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm
    Last edited by Cage; 29-12-2015 at 3:22pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great I am sure you and your Daughter will have lots of fun learning how to use it

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Congratulations, and glad you didn't grab the AF 50mm F1.8D.
    ummmmmm..... wellll it is like this you see I had to do a second trip down to the store to return a lens and buy another....

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, congs on the acquisitions.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, it will be good to see her on here posting once she gets to grips with it.

I intend introducing photography to my two daughters at a very young age (other than being the subjects)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrolit View Post
    ummmmmm..... wellll it is like this you see I had to do a second trip down to the store to return a lens and buy another....
    That is likely to happen when you get into new pursuits you're not 100% familiar with.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First lens/lenses are always hard when you are starting out.
    It would be nice to plan out a kit of lenses to begin with that are a one off purchase, but that needs a crystal ball to know what you both will find are your main subjects.
    Kit lenses take a very nice picture, they just don't excel in areas outside of general useage.

The term quality lens is a bit of a misnomer, it suggests that kit lenses by contrast are not quality lenses.
    To me quality lens is relating to a lens best designed for an area of photography.

To use a car analogy - you are learning to drive, do you get a Toyota Corolla to learn driving skills or do you get a 4x4 because you might get into off road, or something sporty because you might get into track days.
    I'll go the Corolla way, or something general purpose and second hand with the intent to sell later.

Starter lenses that will live on in usefulness are your "walk around " variety. These go from wide to medium telephoto.
    Ones that go from wide to telephoto 200 or 300mm are too extreme in my book to be considered keepers down the track as there are just too many compromises in their design.

The walk around lens as the name suggests is the one you fit for general use that you build a more specialized set of lenses around.
    It's also the one you take on its own if you want to travel light
    I don't know Nikon lenses, but Canon for example do a lens for crop frames that is 15-85mm, its similar in f stop range to the kit lenses but a step up in optical quality.

Nikon, Sigma and Tamron will have equivalents.

Lenses that are 24-70 or 24-100ish are walk around lenses for a full frame camera. 24mm is not wide enough on a crop frame camera like the D5500 to make it a true walk around lens, they can be worked in with a 10-20mm range lens for example if you like not just wide but extra wide shots.
    It just comes with an inconvenience of not being able to do that wide angle shot without a lens change.

I did not regret getting a year out of my kit lenses then shelving them, but I would have got a good walk around lens instead in hide sight.
    7yrs on and the whole first camera and kit lenses setup is now my partners "for better than a phone" usage camera and I have a whole new kit, so there is no telling really.

As long as you stay with crop frame then a crop frame walk around lens will serve you for a long time.

PS Good choice with the 35mm f1.8, a fast lens will always have its uses and a prime is a good way to learn all that given focal length has to offer.
    Last edited by Dug; 29-12-2015 at 4:52pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane, if you decide to go with the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD be aware that there are two models of this lens, the other without VC and sold as a Macro lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmzDad View Post
    Okay body purchased, then used the gift card to help by a Scandisk Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-1 in 32gb and the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm F/1.8G as a starter. So at least Em can start using it and get into some of the learning library more.

Cage what you said made sense about being able to sell the 35mm at some time if I want to.

Shav, have started the look for a second hand lens, will take my time with this part. Was pushed a little with purchase of body as deal finishes at end of December at local store here and we head back out of Brisbane towards home tomorrow.
    Happy to buy new if can't find good second hand lenses.

Thanks
    Shane
    Great work Shane. That Macro lens I have also and is a great way to introduce your daughter to the world of macro as well as portrait shots. That lens does take a nice wide landscape shot too. The wider F stop will come in handy for those dusk conditions.

As for the second hand lens, if you know what you want, let the manager or sales guy know so they can call you directly should something of reasonable order come in.
    Last edited by Shav Bird Photography; 30-12-2015 at 7:11pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well got through 100 or so pages of the manual today... Nikon does a great app for manuals on tablets. Only 250 odd pages to go.

Got a nice shot of a spider this arvo, playing around with it...

I have been mulling over ricktas advice on a 18-200 as a good learning lens.... Can get a second hand ser II Nikon AF-s off second hand net store for resonable $. Might be a smart move towards learning what we really need further down the track. Can always re sell if wanting to change in the future.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will learn a whole heap with the lens you have.

I wouldn't be worrying about another lens at this stage. Did you have a look at the link that I posted above?

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new camera. I have the Nikon 18-200 and find it excellent. It's a great walk around lens and I use it a lot when travelling.
    Glenda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast