4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tamron's two new primes.

Tamron have released two new primes:

35mm f/1.8 VC

and

45mm f/1.8 VC

Lenses look (theoretically) good .. as in the specs look good, not referring to a visually pleasing design!
    MTF graph looks nice for astro types, with minimal aberrations.

Bokeh looks good from the (Tamron) sample images posted on the 45mm
    I'm not so sure on the 35mm tho. The sample image of the woman on the pier looks OK except that the highlights in the far distance seem to have a not very well rounded look to them.

The image stabilisation is a handy feature to have, and the lenses are smaller and lighter than the Sigma Art equivalents. (Sigma's are obviously faster at f/1.4 vs f/1.8 on these new Tamrons).
    Tamron reckons about US$599 for each, which is a little too high if compared to Sigma's very well regarded Art lenses .. but as we all know those prices will fall a little in no time at all.

So the question is cheaper smaller lighter and with VC, or Sigma's faster Art lenses as alternate options.

Had the prices been centered more around the US$300 region .. for me it's a no brainer. For not much more than the manufacturer equivalents PLUS image stabilisation .. I'd have them both in an instant.
    At the quoted US$599 price range, they are in the F/1.4 lens region, and even with VC I reckon it makes them something to contemplate as opposed to an instant decision.
    (I reckon) prices more like US$500 for the 35mm and $US300 for the 45mm would make more sense.

Anyhow, looking forward to see how they fare in the real world tho.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across these the other day and started kicking myself cos I just bought a Nikon 28mm not long ago, but then felt better after I told myself I needed the 28mm focal range. But then today Nikon patents a 28mm VR Hopefully its a heavy sucker so I can feel better for my choice again.
    Cheers Glenn
    NIKON D610
    FUJIFILM X-T20

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    ..... But then today Nikon patents a 28mm VR Hopefully its a heavy sucker so I can feel better for my choice again.

If you have the Tammy 24-70VC .. then I'm thinking that bigness heaviness aren't the major determining factor when choosing your 'suckers'!

But, compared to Nikon's 35/1.8(obviously without VR) .. the Tammy is rather large and heavy.
    To put that into perspective, it's quite a bit larger than Canon's 35/2. IS. Even tho the Canon is 'only' an f/2 .. the real difference between f/2 and f/1.8 can be negligible! .. at least not 50% more weight anyhow!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thought Id bump this post with the link to the DXO results! The 35mm is very impressive and I think I will be purchasing one soon!!
    http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Tamro...high-sharpness
    Last edited by glennb; 10-12-2015 at 6:48pm.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo had not seen these two new Tamron lenses. The 45mm is too close to the 50mm f1.8 (for Nikon users) to be of any interst.

the 35mm lens , while intersting, probably does not have a chance at that price against the sigma 35mm f1.4 Art. The sigma is superbly built, gives superb images and IQ and is just wonderful to handle/use. It has a well earned reputation. Mongo does not consider VR a necessary thing at this short focal length so , it will not be a make or break when compared with the sigma. if the Tamron were to be lighter , smaller and noticeably cheaper, then, it may get a market share. That is of course, on the assumption that it performs somewhere even near the sigma. Mongo cannot imagine any other 35mm even coming close to the sigma on all bases but happy to learn more. Mongo was lucky enough to have bought his sigma for $550 australian dollars brand new (please do not ask)

Mongo just saw the DXO figures and the Tamron is certainly up there.
    Last edited by mongo; 10-12-2015 at 9:59pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo was lucky enough to have bought his sigma for $550 australian dollars brand new (please do not ask)
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good time to be buying lenses across the board for sure.
    We can probably thank the Sigma Art series (for value) and high res sensors for that.

Everyone is taking it up a notch.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo had not seen these two new Tamron lenses. The 45mm is too close to the 50mm f1.8 (for Nikon users) to be of any interst.

the 35mm lens , while intersting, probably does not have a chance at that price against the sigma 35mm f1.4 Art. The sigma is superbly built, gives superb images and IQ and is just wonderful to handle/use. It has a well earned reputation. Mongo does not consider VR a necessary thing at this short focal length so , it will not be a make or break when compared with the sigma. if the Tamron were to be lighter , smaller and noticeably cheaper, then, it may get a market share. That is of course, on the assumption that it performs somewhere even near the sigma. Mongo cannot imagine any other 35mm even coming close to the sigma on all bases but happy to learn more. Mongo was lucky enough to have bought his sigma for $550 australian dollars brand new (please do not ask)

Mongo just saw the DXO figures and the Tamron is certainly up there.
    For my needs I considered the Sigma 1.4 art but chose the tamron over it because the Sig was heavier and longer and no VC/VR. Ive done some tests using my tammy 24-70 VC at 28mm and Nikkor 28mm and on pixel peeping the VR wins sharpness when hand held because of a very, very slight motion blur on the Nikkor 28mm, even at higher shutter speeds 1/1000+ . Though this is on a still subject ,obviously a moving subject is where the 1.4 will probably win over 1.8 as well as bokeh. For me, this lens is my walk around/travel/low light/personal functions photography lens, so I think it suit my needs, unless Nikkon bring out a 35mm lighter smaller and as sharp with VR. I know Nikon are bringing out a 28mm VR soon but my trip to the US found myself wanting the 35mm over the 28mm which I was using most of the time.