Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: I've lost my power cable!!

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've lost my power cable!!

We have just finished refurbishing the lounge room. cleared out all the furniture, repainted and had new floating timber flooring installed. Problem is when I reinstalled my desk and computer the power cable for my Seagate FreeAgent Desk HDD went missing and guess where I store ALL my photos.
    Searched the house top to bottom several times to no avail.
    I have numerous power cables laying around but none have the right sized jack.
    I'm hoping some REALLY good Samaritan will reply to tell me that they have one I can purchase . A forlorn hope I know.

The next trick will be to take the HDD to Dick Smith in Shepparton (140 klm) to attempt to find one that fits.

So if you can assist me I will be eternally grateful.

Geoff Portbury
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    check ebay..
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck! Can you check what the specs are for the drive and cable: size, output voltage/power, polarity configuration...?

I don't know how big Jerilderie is, but maybe a local electrician could somehow help in the short term...?

Is this the one?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now you know why we are not touching the lounge room. Bathrooms got plumbing problems that are going to cost us plenty tough (yep, already got the laptop and printer outta there ).

Have you tried asking Seagate if they stock their own cables?????

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon it'll need 12v 2A power input. You can get variable output adapter plugpacks which also have multiple connector selections:

something like this from DSE

The only thing to be mindful of with stuff like this is that it can be a bit misleading in it's specs.
    The product above says 2500mA max output(which is all well and good), but that could be at only 9v. So at 12v it may only output just under 2A(eg. 1.8A) .. which is no good to you if you need 12v 2A!!
    So if you decide to purchase something like that, it'd be best to either go into DSE and make sure of the actual device specs .. or if you purchase online, then call DSE to get confirmation of the specs.
    Going by the diagram on my plugpack, all you need to do is be sure that the +ve pole is in the recess of the connector(therefore -ve on the outer body) and you should be good to go.

Of course you can get cheaper power adapter plugpacks, but if you do search for them the variable output versions are more versatile(even if they are more expensive).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sea gate site very helpfull

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the helpful advice people. I've been onto Seagate and they have given me a list of Australian suppliers and ALL the specs for the cable.I've emailed one of those I already use and await a reply. I was pleasantly surprised that a minor query like mine received such a prompt and detailed response.
    Jerilderie BTW has a population of 900 with TWO yes TWO electricians.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good bakery don't worry about sparkys