User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Grey Market

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Market

Not sure what effect this will have on those of us who buy "grey" here, but given that most (probably all) grey cameras and lenses actually come off the same production line as the official stuff, I'm wondering whether Canon needs to sort out their own distributors and retailers. A simple label swap won't hide the original serial number which appears in the cameras' EXIF data. That should make tracking down the source fairly easy, I would have thought.

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/1...et-dslr-sales/

This issue goes back a fair way. I recall seeing a kerfuffle about dodgy/counterfeit labels on this site some time ago. Anyway, I still buy "grey", but usually from an Australian-based grey importer who pays his GST. Saves me the hassle of customs declarations and foreign currency fees on my credit card.

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    A simple label swap won't hide the original serial number which appears in the cameras' EXIF data. That should make tracking down the source fairly easy, I would have thought.
    Maybe they are hacking the firmware as well, to change the serial.

I have always had mixed feelings about grey market. Sometimes, the mark-up is so outrageous that I feel they deserve to get bypassed by grey marketing. In other cases, the local "support" is so horrendous that they don't deserve any special rights. But, there are also many times that the local supplier is doing the right thing, then I don't see it is fair to them to lose sales to the grey market. It's a tough complicated world.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bought my camera from B&H when the Aus $ was worth $1.10 US. Is buying from them "grey market"??
    Does the lower Aus $ now make the grey market less appealing?

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my 7D and kit lenses I saved a bit over $1000.00. by going grey market. With the dollar difference now to buy a 5D3 you might save $300-$400. Still a lot of money but you might be able to negotiate a better deal in store. All the cameras come off the same line just packed for different countries. That is providing you are buying from a reputable seller. Dodgy sellers will always try to sell you copies/false gear. Sorting out which one is which maybe the hardest problem. I have had no dramas with my camera or any of the many lenses purchased. (touch wood). As I said about the Australian dollar being so low now these purchases will probably go to the local store now but I will always check first to make sure I get the best price possible. After all it is my hard earned.......cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX