User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying lens online or in store .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying lens online or in store .

Hello AP members in thinking about buying a canon 24-70 2.8 mk2 lens and wondering what people think about an online purchase over a store bought one as a store bought one is approximately $2500 and an online one on amazon is $1800 , any thoughts would be appreciated !

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    depends on the store. Some are overseas stores etc, and thus your warranty is for the country the item comes from, therefore if something goes wrong, you have to deal with someone elsewhere in the world and maybe pay shipping costs to send it back for replacement/repair. Others are Australian stores but they source their stock from overseas (hong kong etc) and again it will not be covered by Canon Australia under warranty.

Then there are Australian stores who buy stock via Canon Australia and you get all the warranty and statutory benefits of that.

So you need to research the store(s) you are looking at, find out more, and then make an informed decision, based on having all the information.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham68ktm View Post
    a store bought one is approximately $2500
    Pick some stores with better prices and go and negotiate in person. You just may get a better price.
    Where I live there is no competition, so they (hardly normal) refuse to negotiate. But you have a lot of retailers across Sydney that may wish to compete if you get in store and off the w.w.w..

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I bought a lens at a camera store in Sydney.

I had checked the price of this lens over the web at estores in HK, Singapore and USA. I had also checked the price of the lens over the web at the store in Sydney.

To be honest the price at the store in Sydney over the web was cheaper than any of the other stores in other countries. I eventually went into the store - asked for the best price (which they gave me their web price) but after some small negotiation (like had the money in my hand) they knocked off another 5%. On top of that their service was friendly and professional.

Could not have asked for a better experience.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Recently I bought a lens at a camera store in Sydney.

I had checked the price of this lens over the web at estores in HK, Singapore and USA. I had also checked the price of the lens over the web at the store in Sydney.

To be honest the price at the store in Sydney over the web was cheaper than any of the other stores in other countries. I eventually went into the store - asked for the best price (which they gave me their web price) but after some small negotiation (like had the money in my hand) they knocked off another 5%. On top of that their service was friendly and professional.

Could not have asked for a better experience.
    You are allowed to name the store.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could do what myself and a lot of others have done and bypass the OEM offering and get the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD.

It's about 1/2 the price and I can assure you that it certainly offers much more than 1/2 the performance. Do some googling and be pleasantly surprised.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham68ktm View Post
    ...... store bought one as a store bought one is approximately $2500 and an online one on amazon is $1800 , any thoughts would be appreciated !
    Is that $1,800 US dollars or AU?
    The recommended price on the US canon site is around US$1,800.00. Thats about AU$2,500.00.

I will also add that it is worth thinking about the effect on our economy (I know I have said it before).

Less taxes (GST?, company tax, employees payg, etc) into our economy, less jobs, fewer stores where you can go and try cameras etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by mpb; 23-11-2015 at 12:28pm.
    Mark

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look around and Buy in Australia.. Better for the Economy Good on you Mark.

After you have paid your USD$1800 to a USA on line Store as Mark wrote is around AUD$2500.
    Then there is postage UPS 4-6 days USD$70.80 and Duties and Tax USD $276.21 if bought from B&H in New York brings your total to USD$2146
    Thats AUD$2966.43 And no mention about Insurance in Transit either. So not Cheaper after all.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Provided the price difference is relatively modest, I would suggest that you purchase from a local store and support the economy, jobs etc.
    However, I am not a supporter of the Australia Tax, where we pay more for goods simply because we live on the other side of the globe, so if you think the supplier is gouging then that is a different matter.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replys on this subject , i think buying one in sydney would be the best option as far as warranty and supporting the economy is concerned !

I have done some research CAGE and some have said focusing accuracy and build quality is not as good as the canon , im not sure if this is true or not but as i want to keep this lens for a long time i was thinking that buying one a bit better to begin with might save a bit of hassle !

Some people that have bought the tamron equivalent said they returned their's and got the canon model after all , again i dont know if this is true but just thought the members of AP would be a better place to get some advice , again thanks for the help and look forward to some more replys on this subject !!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, I've had my Tamron for twelve months now and would not hesitate to buy another one if I lost it.

I'm not a Tamron fanboy, I just like to get the best bang for my buck. There are quite a few forum members using it and I don't remember seeing one complaint. I got mine after being very impressed with the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 that I'd acquired previously.

All the best with your decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Or you could do what myself and a lot of others have done and bypass the OEM offering and get the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD.

It's about 1/2 the price and I can assure you that it certainly offers much more than 1/2 the performance. Do some googling and be pleasantly surprised.
    I second that.
    Had mine for over a year and happy with it.
    The image quality is great and it comes wtih IS, so defenitely not just a poor man's canon lens.
    Oh.. and I bought it online; from DWI, I think.
    “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" – Henri Cartier-Bresson
    **Commercial Link Removed by Admin**

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the replys , looks like ive got some googling to do !!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got both my Tamrons online from Ted's Cameras, but they also have a store in Sydney and they advertise that they will price match.

I decided to go this way for the peace of mind of the local Tamron manufacturers warranty. I have a rule of thumb that if the item has a motor and a PCB I buy from a local authorised dealer.

I usually start my buying search with Static Ice to get a ball park figure of what prices are on offer. http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...mm+f2.8&spos=3
    Last edited by Cage; 27-11-2015 at 12:07pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I got both my Tamrons online from Ted's Cameras, but they also have a store in Sydney and they advertise that they will price match.

I decided to go this way for the peace of mind of the local Tamron manufacturers warranty. I have a rule of thumb that if the item has a motor and a PCB I buy from a local authorised dealer.

I usually start my buying search with Static Ice to get a ball park figure of what prices are on offer. http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...mm+f2.8&spos=3
    www.shopbot.com.au offers similar to staticice.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply's Ricktas and Cage , i decided to purchase the mentioned lens from a store in parramatta and got a fair price !
    Its an awesome lens to use as the focus and picture quality is great !

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of buying big ticket items locally and overseas for small items.

I've had very few issues with big ticket items, but one issue is enough to make it a costly exercise. Case in point my D750. First one I received with photos of dogs testicles and a shutter count of 4000 from a local store (I got it on special for about $400 off). Got it replaced in May last year. This weekend my shutter went and I had to send it back to Nikon locally. That's two issues with one camera which could have got expensive if I was footing the bill for shipping. Realistically, because I bought it on special, I probably would have saved $200 if I was lucky (bare in mind you pay GST when it hits Australia so the pricing you see overseas isn't always correct) and I don't know what the issues would have been like if I was trying to ship it all over the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    bare in mind you pay GST when it hits Australia so the pricing you see overseas isn't always correct
    And therein lies my main problem with buying big items from an overseas store. Personally the overseas warranty is an inconvenience but isn't a deal breaker but when I would only end up saving 100-200 because of GST being slugged separately it doesn't make it worth the time involved. Plus I'm a sucker for actually being able to hold it in my hands before buying it. I went into my local store last week and the guy had a 7D2 out. He put it in my hands with a Sigma 24-105mm f4 and I almost walked out $3000 poorer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spootz01 View Post
    And therein lies my main problem with buying big items from an overseas store. Personally the overseas warranty is an inconvenience but isn't a deal breaker but when I would only end up saving 100-200 because of GST being slugged separately it doesn't make it worth the time involved. Plus I'm a sucker for actually being able to hold it in my hands before buying it. I went into my local store last week and the guy had a 7D2 out. He put it in my hands with a Sigma 24-105mm f4 and I almost walked out $3000 poorer.
    You weak minded fool. Don't fall for their Jedi mind tricks. Never let them put something in your hand. It's a trick.

They did that once with with me with a medium format lens and I almost bought it...and I don't even have a medium format camera...since then I don't go into stores unless I have something specific to buy and even then, I go in under strict conditions:

• Go in with a list of what you need
    • Never look the shop assistant in the eye
    • Only have enough on my bank card for the items required
    • Never look at what other people are buying
    • Don't look at any specials that are on
    • Don't listen to any additional offers they throw at you while you are buying. I just put both fingers in my ears and shout "DADADADADADA" until they stop talking (might explain why I am banned from some stores)
    • AND NEVER, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS LET THEM PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR HAND THAT ISN'T ON THE LIST UNLESS IT'S THE RECEIPT!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post

• Go in with a list of what you need
    • Never look the shop assistant in the eye
    • Only have enough on my bank card for the items required
    • Never look at what other people are buying
    • Don't look at any specials that are on
    • Don't listen to any additional offers they throw at you while you are buying. I just put both fingers in my ears and shout "DADADADADADA" until they stop talking (might explain why I am banned from some stores)
    • AND NEVER, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS LET THEM PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR HAND THAT ISN'T ON THE LIST UNLESS IT'S THE RECEIPT!!
    Good rules to live by in general really. Although I don't know if the amicable relationship between me and the guy that runs my local would continue if I tried number 6. I just need to buy everything I want then he wont be able to tempt me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast