User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  55
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it just me .... or are some photographers a little bit full of it.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always feel these characters using Latin or French proverbs or quotes can add an extra layer of arty pretentious aura to anything really.
    My son once thanked Microsoft, Nikon, Canon, Olympus and photoshop etc. for realizing his so called artistic genius at an award night which brought quite a laugh!

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one of the reasons I won't watch a movie given a high rating by an arty movie critic. They are generally a bunch of boring arty crap. Only movie I ever agreed with them on was Shawshank Redemption.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Sometimes they are a poor mix (especially when text doesn't add anything), sometimes it is giving the image something extra (or vice versa). Personally, I have been toying with a combination of haiku (or what in my book is pretty close to a haiku) and photo which I feel is a pretty good match.

Words actually can strengthen the message, just as much as an image that illustrates words. A newspaper without images is pretty dull and won't convey the message - but a newspaper with just images would be just as useless.

Sure, an image *can* tell a story - I may even go so far that I think an image without an intrinsic story is lifeless eye-candy at best (YMMV). But that doesn't mean text could not add depth to an image... (just not the crap referred to earlier ).
    Granted images linked to news have an important role, they root the words in reality, give them a depiction of place. The image captures a moment, the text gives the bigger picture.

Words being a poor mix is a bit of a generalization it is true. Sometimes an image can have a fit with well chosen words, or the words are not leading as to how to read the picture.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Granted images linked to news have an important role, they root the words in reality, give them a depiction of place. The image captures a moment, the text gives the bigger picture.

Words being a poor mix is a bit of a generalization it is true. Sometimes an image can have a fit with well chosen words, or the words are not leading as to how to read the picture.
    I suspect that often these photographers take the photo and then attribute lofty thoughts to it as an afterthought. There seems to be a need to present images with obscure and mythical interpretations rather than simply leaving it to the observer to like or dislike. Obviously a newspaper needs words to explain the background to an image, but that's a different matter to artificially manufacturing an artistic interpretation simply to present the photographer in a loftier and more spiritual light than is perhaps justified.

A related irritation is the fact that established artists, be they photographers, writers, painters or whatever - are automatically applauded for whatever they produce simply because they have an established name. In my view, each work should be assessed strictly on its merits rather than assuming that it must be great simply because a "name" has created it.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    ..... In my view, each work should be assessed strictly on its merits rather than assuming that it must be great simply because a "name" has created it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing worse in artistic circles than the scourge of 'a.r.t.w.a.n.k.e.r.y'.
    Last edited by ApolloLXII; 21-11-2015 at 10:47pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    This one of the reasons I won't watch a movie given a high rating by an arty movie critic.
    I never read reviews by arty movie critics, because I never want my expectations soured
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    artificially manufacturing an artistic interpretation simply to present the photographer in a loftier and more spiritual light than is perhaps justified.
    Even though I agree the text you originally quoted sounds rather corny, I would not immediately assume the text was added just to make it more artsy or anything. I don't say that was not the purpose, but I for one have added texts to photos that would probably be put in the same categorie (just kept them for my personal use though - never published). Words, phrases and images combined (no matter how awkward and hollow they are) may trigger memories or thoughts that don't mean anything to the outer world. And, I confess, these works often fail short after a couple of years - only the strongest keep their value over time. If you would read / see them though, you would think nothing of them either.

A related irritation is the fact that established artists, be they photographers, writers, painters or whatever - are automatically applauded for whatever they produce simply because they have an established name. In my view, each work should be assessed strictly on its merits rather than assuming that it must be great simply because a "name" has created it.
    Amen to that!
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OT but related.

Possible inscription in homage to a rough cask wine...

"A unique encapsulation of rare blends that evoke simple yet eclectic flavours as diverse as deep winter and languid summer days."

Meaning...
    We threw these dregs together and are trying to pass it off as something better.

Also OT but related...
    There's a car ad running where various "motoring experts" have expressed "their surprise" at certain aspects of a particular car.
    At the end of the ad we are invited to "surprise" ourselves (by purchasing the car).

Real message: it's really a heap with nothing much going for it.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 23-11-2015 at 10:16am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dug, I'm with you on this. It is all too easy for people to be told what to think when reading the description, the background or the artist statement (notwithstanding the hyberbolic and pretentious palaver).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my wonderful wife a blend of Cab Sav, Shiraz and a few rum and cokes will produce equally confusing prose from oneself.! I took the time to view the all the images from the exhibition and realize that I have a great deal to learn about artists and their art.!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * removed - refer the site rules, in particular rules 3-7: admin*
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-12-2015 at 1:42pm.
    Cheers
    Shav

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it comes down to who the target audience for something like that is. Some people would scoff at an image without a suitable accompaniment.

Personally, if the image was mine, I would have one of two statements;

Bogan Spootz: "Yep, its a chick... on a log... with some green stuff behind her. And I'm fairly sure she isn't dead. I think."

Professional Spootz: "I prefer to let my images speak for themselves. 1000 words and all that jazz"

Cheers

S.
    Last edited by spootz01; 13-01-2016 at 3:31pm.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be more artistic than I thought. I have woken up in this position a few times while camping and having drinkies with the lads. This might be art imitating life.

How tres chick of me
    Last edited by pjs2; 31-01-2016 at 9:41am.
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant, Brad .

Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    You can generate your own "Arty Bollocks" statement here:

http://www.artybollocks.com/
    I've bookmarked it. My wife loathes having to write artist's statements ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12