Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: What lens should I buy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What lens should I buy?

Hi there,

Recently I have been looking at purchasing a 3rd to add to my collection. I currently use a Canon EOS 600d/T3i, and primarily use an EFS 18-55mm lens. I'm currently looking into buying a 50mm lens, but I'm not completely sure about it. My price budget is around $200 to $250 so I was looking at the Canon 50mm STM F/1.8 lens as that would best suit my needs and my price point.

Thanks, Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I mainly shoot action sports and street photography.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't shoot Canon but a quick google shows the lens to be Canon's #1 seller.

It will give you a HUGE increase in image quality over your not very well regarded kit lens, and should suit your needs for street photography.

And if you decide to upgrade to a Full Frame in the future it will take to the FF like a duck to water.
    Last edited by Cage; 19-11-2015 at 12:23pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thank you. I think I've decided that I will go with the 50mm lens.

Thanks,
    Ben

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben, I'm not a Canon shooter either but have some general comments...

'Street photography' is a fairly broad term - some like to get in close, others prefer a longer view. My query about a 50mm lens on a cropped body is whether it is wide enough for the way YOU would do street photography. Of course you can 'zoom with your feet' (ie move backwards) but you might not always have time to do that in a street situation. Something you can do is have a look at your existing images and see what focal lengths you have favoured in these situations and see if this fits with the 50mm. Another exercise you can do is set your 18-55mm on 50mm and go take some shots and see how it works for you, You could also try say 35mm, 24mm etc and see what you prefer. (You can use a wide rubber band or some tape to keep it on the specific focal length).

What does "action sports" refer to - is a specific type of sport (martial arts for example)?

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the new 50mm STM lenses, and it works well, but it needed a fair bit of adjustment for the autofocussing on both my 70D and my 5d3.
    Mine was a very early one however, so the latest batches should be a little better, but try to check the accuracy of the lens before you part with your money as your camera does not have manual adjustment for your autofocus.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben,

I also shoot with the 600D and I quite often shoot with the "Nifty Fifty" (50mm 1.8II). For indoor sports where you can get fairly close to the action its awesome to get a wider angle on things. the super fast 1.8 aperture makes it particularly good for this as well.

Personally I find it a little too tight for street and candid shooting with the 1.6x crop sensor, and it can be challenging anywhere you're not able to step back to get that wider shot.

Even with those negatives my 50mm is currently my favourite lens in my bag. Dollar for dollar you can't beat it.

Cheers

S.
    Last edited by spootz01; 12-01-2016 at 11:57am.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wildcard suggestion: within you budget, you could get a used EF-S 60mm macro lens. Absolutely pin sharp, good all rounder and great for portraits on a cropped sensor. And will open up a whole new world of photography for you: macro.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I don't shoot Canon but a quick google shows the lens to be Canon's #1 seller.

It will give you a HUGE increase in image quality over your not very well regarded kit lens, and should suit your needs for street photography.

And if you decide to upgrade to a Full Frame in the future it will take to the FF like a duck to water.
    I must admit that I did consider one of these lenses, but shelved the idea.
    Perhaps I should revisit - from what you say it should match up well with the Canon 6D?
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    I must admit that I did consider one of these lenses, but shelved the idea.
    Perhaps I should revisit - from what you say it should match up well with the Canon 6D?
    Google is your friend..... http://www.popphoto.com/hands-canon-...-lens?image=10 on a 6D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just relooked at my f1.8 50mm because of its light weight for when I go on long walks. I would like to take my 24-105mm on the 6D but I find the weight a bit much these days. I'm happy with the results from the 50mm so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ben, i am using the nifty fifty on my 600 D, and I could not be happier with it, especially considering the value for money

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my nify fifty. Also great for portrature.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4002 View Post
    Ok thank you. I think I've decided that I will go with the 50mm lens.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Got any photos to show us that you've taken with that lens you brought??