Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to jump?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to jump?

Currently using a 40D. I have always found its autofocus wanting, and I have to be very particular when taking corporate shots or school socials. I really want a 6D - but one criticism in this calibre of camera was the paucity of focus points compared with 7D. I might be patient and wait for the 6D Mark 2, but this might be coming who knows when, and who knows what it will change. In the real world, have 6D users have want to complain about the focusing on this camera?
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pick the pauciest number of focus points all the time - centre-spot
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. As AM says, focus and recompose.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another one for Am's technique. One focal point is enough to handle, then if all else fails, there is always manual focusing

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, back button focus with 1 focal point, focus then recompose.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting what people do in the real world! So the 72 cross hair focus points I would think then are only useful when chasing sports images. I do have the kid's netball photograph as well, but then we tread into the territory of whether one camera can be suited to all things.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bercy View Post
    So the 72 cross hair focus points I would think then are only useful when chasing sports images. I do have the kid's netball photograph as well,
    You didn't mention that in you original questions.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berni I have a 6D and I have previously owned the 40D.

For the last 10 years I have always owned a 1D series camera body as my primary body, but I bought the 6D as a carry around / tourist body. When I first got the 6D I was frustrated - but then again I was trying to use it as a 1D series body. Now I know the limitations I am very happy with it. At times I have thought about trading it in on a 5DIII but I don't really think I would gain much for what I use it for.

Apart from the limited focus points one thing people don't seem to mention is it has a small buffer (not sure how many shots) but I always shoot raw and I find the buffer fills up quickly (this might be a problem with net ball). The buffer might be better if you are shooting JPG only. Once again if you know this limitation then you can live with it.

If I was in the market today and was going to do a bit of sport then I think I would go the 5DIII - they have dropped in price at the moment and I have no doubt they will continue to do so as we get closer to a new model to be released. There are some great used bargains around also.

Best of luck which ever way you go.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Brian, from what you have described, the 5d3 would be the pick.
    It's certainly dearer than the 6D, but the better focussing (more points and more versatile setup) as well as the larger buffer and just the feel and ergonomics of it make it worth the extra coin IMHO.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Berni, I have two daughters who are mad on Netball, one even plays Night comp in the off season. I purchased a 70D a while back on the basis of it's Auto Focus for video. I have since learned that the best way to capture the best shots is to use the video function and pull single shots out. When taking a series of stills the AF works really well but you also need to consider how fast the lens will focus. On the basis that the 7D II has a similar / same AF then I would expect it to perform just as well. Good luck!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all - Mark's sentiment is right - even as a rank amateur I have to ask what am I using the camera for...the personal choice is that I mainly like portrait work. But you get asked to "bring the camera" to other events. Netball! Taking my longest image stabilised lens, just at the end they said take picture of the team...I'll start hiking and tell you when I am far enough away and can you tell 372 people to get out of the road!! Oh - and you're not supposed to bring that bag of gear... makes you look silly!!!!

So I would love a full frame for portraits - so can make nice big prints to A2. I would like it to be capable of managing a bit sports sharp shooting with an IS lens. If I could get 5D3 at a comparable price I would be there in a heartbeat. However I expect that might be a bit out of my budget. Thinking all those factors through - maybe the next incarnation of the 6D might fit the bill - all hypothetical until it hits the stores!

The current 6D has as Kel described - limitations - taking heed of that.
    PS Kel - your portraits are stunning!!

Thanks again.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all - Mark's sentiment is right - even as a rank amateur I have to ask what am I using the camera for...the personal choice is that I mainly like portrait work. But you get asked to "bring the camera" to other events. Netball! Taking my longest image stabilised lens, just at the end they said take picture of the team...I'll start hiking and tell you when I am far enough away and can you tell 372 people to get out of the road!! Oh - and you're not supposed to bring that bag of gear... makes you look silly!!!!

So I would love a full frame for portraits - so can make nice big prints to A2. I would like it to be capable of managing a bit sports sharp shooting with an IS lens. If I could get 5D3 at a comparable price I would be there in a heartbeat. However I expect that might be a bit out of my budget. Thinking all those factors through - maybe the next incarnation of the 6D might fit the bill - all hypothetical until it hits the stores!

The current 6D has as Kel described - limitations - taking heed of that.
    PS Kel - your portraits are stunning!!

Thanks again.
    Thank you for the kind words Berni.

If you primarily doing portraits then you cannot go wrong with the current model 6D. It will do sport, wildlife etc. In fact I took it out whaling a while ago, and also lent it to my brother in law to photograph birds last month (with some excellent results).

Why wait for the 6DII when we have no idea when it will be released and no idea of the price bracket.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kel - well reasoned. Again not to get off topic I have an Epson 3880...years old ...think that will be updated any time soon? Same with mainstream high end cameras, radical design changes are years apart, and mark 1-2-3 don't always change things enough to make someone trade up. Interestingly when an upgrade is released the superseded model is often around for a long time and often not at give away prices, respecting considerable intrinsic value. It is only now that I am even contemplating upgrading from my 40D because there has been enough generational change in the cameras that I could see more than an on paper spec advantage (helped considerably by playing with a 5D3 of course!)! I bet a few other's might be in the same betwixt/between thought bubble!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic I know, but to those people taking photos of their girls playing netball, consider yourselves lucky. At our association in Brisbane photography is BANNED.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry been off for a while, but just read post by Unistudent1962 - that is just sickening. Personally I think having proper photo equipment like the cameras discussed here, makes a whole lot more likely that you are there for fit and proper reasons. I would be more worried about some jerk with an iPhone. Rant over - have a chat to the club committee about getting permission to photograph. Can only try!

Cheers Bernie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a chat to the club committee about getting permission to photograph. Can only try!

Cheers Bernie
    Tried that, they're not interested in allowing anyone other the the association's "official photographer" (a mum with an old Canon P&S) to take photos.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'club' do not have a legal standing to 'ban' you photographing if its a public/council sports field.
    If the club owns the venue, then what they say goes...
    If they rent or lease the courts, then its the owner that has the say.
    You should not be restricted in recording your child's achievements just because a bunch of people think they have control...

Spammer - Permanent Ban Makinater1985's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes like they said it is focus and recompose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have both a 40D and a 6D and can't complain about the focusing ability of either.

In these 'enlightened' days, taking photos of children (apart from your own) doing anything is always a risk and people may object strongly.
    Unfortunate but true.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still hanging off the 6D2 - Just don't like forking out for a compromise and wishing I'd waited. I understand that with tech you can wait till doomsday but the 40D is still trooping OK. I love the"official photographer" line - a little bit of vomit came up into my mouth at the thought. A long time ago I was at a Wedding and took about 60 pictures, and had to "keep out of the way" of the photographer which I respectfully did. Later the couple approached me for my pictures.... ouch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast