Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: An interesting article that gave me some insight into the rise of ISIS

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting article that gave me some insight into the rise of ISIS

After the latest senseless terrorist atrocities in Paris, it got me wondering what possible motivation the killers could have had.

Living on our fairly insular island, other than coping with a constant stream of refugees we are well removed from the conflicts occurring in the Middle East.

In search of some answers I did a bit of Googling and came across this article by Alastair Crooke in the Huff Post which gave me a little background on the rise of ISIS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alasta...l?ir=Australia

While it is one man's interpretation of events over the past couple of hundred years it seems to be fairly factual, and at least gave me a little insight into the sort of people who can commit acts of terrorism like the one which happened in Paris on Friday night, and who can forget 9/11.

I'm not going to comment on the contents of the article other that to say that mankind has a serious problem.

This thread was not started for open discussion, but rather to give some awareness to those like myself who really have little idea of the history behind the Middle East conflicts.
    Last edited by Cage; 15-11-2015 at 3:29pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting article, but probably not the whole story. Possibly the most important point is that ISIS (and Al Qaeda) has less to do with religion and more to do with power politics. We need to be careful not to seek revenge against those who are not our enemies, ie Muslims.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Living on our fairly insular island, other than coping with a constant stream of refugees we are well removed from the conflicts occurring in the Middle East.
    An aside.
    Compared to many other nations, have we really had a large constant stream of refugees?
    Our island status tends to help make that stream not large at any time?

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    It's an interesting article, but probably not the whole story. Possibly the most important point is that ISIS (and Al Qaeda) has less to do with religion and more to do with power politics. We need to be careful not to seek revenge against those who are not our enemies, ie Muslims.
    I thought Part 1 of the article covered the distinction between the Daesh and the peaceful Muslim community. And for those not familiar with the term 'Daesh', which I'd never heard of till yesterday, it is now the name that world wide officialdom are using to refer to the terrorist group, as they are neither Islamic nor a State, just blasphemous barbarians.

And I agree wholeheartedly that we must not direct our anger at the generally peace loving Muslim community at large.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    An aside.
    Compared to many other nations, have we really had a large constant stream of refugees?
    Our island status tends to help make that stream not large at any time?
    An aside to your aside.

I didn't use the word 'large', but up until fairly recent times I think you will agree that it was a fairly constant stream.
    Last edited by Cage; 16-11-2015 at 11:20am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was agreeing with the article and just saying that I thought that was the key point. As for the name - yes, our government has been referring to Daesh for some time now, but few other Australians use the term. I used ISIS so people would understand. I don't think the name matters a lot. What matters is that they think we are at war with them and we think they are at war with us - so I guess that means we are at war. The big problem is that we don't like the other side in Syria either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Australian journalist, Michael Ware, gives a great insight as to how Islamic State began in an interview on the ABC. The founder, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was so radical that not even Al Qaeda wanted anything to do with him. It is an hour long interview and very interesting. Here is the link:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...21/4071673.htm
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best thing I have seen explaining ISIS (or Islamic State or Daesh). Its by Waleed Ali and its right to the point. Well worth watching.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...a105b321ca5d2d

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My better half saw that and made mention of it. Glad I've seen it, so thanks Steve.
    My limited exposure to main stream media makes me think they treat terrorism like it's a reality T.V. show.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! They are pretty horrific in general
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I wish that I didn't feel the need to acquaint myself with what all this threatening and abhorrent behavior is about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read about Hitler, on and off for my whole life and I still can't say I understand him or the Nazis. I'm sure I can't Understand the sociopathic killers of ISIS either, but I know enough to know that there is nothing good about them. Fortunately, they don't have the resources of a Hitler. It's just that the Middle East is such a mess and will take quite a while to settle down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that I can say publicly about them is that I wish that ISIS was WASWAS.

I just can't believe that Obama and Malcolm are stupid enough to think that they can find a way to negotiate with these barbarians.
    Do they really think that by holding hands and singing Kumbya that they will stop what they are doing?

The ONLY way to fight them is by using their own superstitions and religious beliefs against them.
    General Pershing discovered that back in the 1890's, and we stupidly have not learned from it.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    The only thing that I can say publicly about them is that I wish that ISIS was WASWAS.

I just can't believe that Obama and Malcolm are stupid enough to think that they can find a way to negotiate with these barbarians.
    Do they really think that by holding hands and singing Kumbya that they will stop what they are doing?

The ONLY way to fight them is by using their own superstitions and religious beliefs against them.
    General Pershing discovered that back in the 1890's, and we stupidly have not learned from it.
    What gives you the idea that anyone wants to negotiate with ISIS? They are talking about negotiating with the Syrian groups opposed to ISIS, and that would now include Asad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, from what I understood this morning from the news. It's not II

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    What gives you the idea that anyone wants to negotiate with ISIS? They are talking about negotiating with the Syrian groups opposed to ISIS, and that would now include Asad.
    Which would put negotiators somewhere between stony ground and a hard place. I can't see any peaceful outcome in that scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Whatever happens there won't be peace for quite a while. ISIS may be defeated militarily through a political solution - Now there's a strange mix of ideas. Like many, I thought a political solution meant no guns, but not in this case apparently. - but that won't fix all of the problem.