Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Pen Tablets any advice?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pen Tablets any advice?

I've been considering trying a pen tablet for photo editing. I believe once you get used to them there's just no going back to a mouse. Any feedback, suggestion's on brands or models or other information concerning the use of a pen tablets would be greatly appreciated. By the way I use a PC running Windows 10 if that info is relevant.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have an (old now) Wacom Intuos 3.

It is great, but does take some getting used to, working out pressure, and the general feel of using a pen after using a mouse for umpteen years. However, with some self-training, you will not look back.

If I had loads of money, this would be my ultimate editing device : https://buywacom.com.au/products/cre...qhd-touch.html
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-11-2015 at 9:43am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one a while ago....best thing since sliced bread, as Rick said, you'll never look back -
    This may help?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best thing since sliced bread, as Rick said, you'll never look back
    Thanks Gaz. So do you use the tablet exclusively on all programs or just for photo editing?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enseth View Post
    Thanks Gaz. So do you use the tablet exclusively on all programs or just for photo editing?
    Just editing Seth, there's no scroll wheel on the pen

- - - Updated - - -

You can do some really fine editing in PS with it....I don't use LR or other editing software, so have no idea with them?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tip - bigger isn't always better. I don't like having to make large movements of my hand to get around the screen/app. This means I have actually defined a fairly small area on my tablet as equivalent to the screen (yes, it's user definable on a Wacom). This means I can easily use the smallest and cheapest Wacom. If you're the same don't go any bigger because that will be a waste of money and space on your desk. If you want to use it for more than photo editing then larger may be needed. This explains it well.
    http://phlearn.com/use-wacom-tablet
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    This means I have actually defined a fairly small area on my tablet as equivalent to the screen (yes, it's user definable on a Wacom). This means I can easily use the smallest and cheapest Wacom.
    I've done a similar thing, I use the buttons down the side to perform common tasks as well...new layer, stamp visible layer, copy layer, enter etc.

I was lucky when I bought mine,(Wacom Intuos Pro, small) the salesman had no idea what it was and really willing to get it off the shelf so he could dust

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help folks, particularly the video links and advice on size. I've ordered a WACOM Intuos Pro Small. $252 delivered. Should be here in 3 days then I can look forward to a few days of frustration followed by a gradual improvement (I hope).

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enseth View Post
    Thanks for the help folks, particularly the video links and advice on size. I've ordered a WACOM Intuos Pro Small. $252 delivered. Should be here in 3 days then I can look forward to a few days of frustration followed by a gradual improvement (I hope).
    You'll love it, have fun with the new toy -

Do you use keyboard Shortcuts?.. 'R' is a good one when you are working around the edge of something with the pen and the hand is twisting outta shape.
    Hold it down, rotate and when released it should bounce back to the brush or tool you had (Works with a mouse as well but you'll understand when you have the pen in ya hand)

Cheers ...

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Tip - bigger isn't always better. I don't like having to make large movements of my hand to get around the screen/app. This means I have actually defined a fairly small area on my tablet as equivalent to the screen (yes, it's user definable on a Wacom). This means I can easily use the smallest and cheapest Wacom. If you're the same don't go any bigger because that will be a waste of money and space on your desk. If you want to use it for more than photo editing then larger may be needed. This explains it well.
    http://phlearn.com/use-wacom-tablet
    I remember a setup for AutoCAD where the tablet had only a small middle section for the edit screen, and all around were boxes for tools, effectively a big handy menu. This combined with keyboard shortcuts seemed very efficient.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm totally a pen/tablet user. Have been for years. I use Wacom Intuos 3's at present. I've always bought second hand tablets and never had a problem. The rocker switch on the pen can be assigned different purposes, and the same for the buttons on the sides of the tablet, including for scrolling and zooming.

There is not a mouse attached to any computer or laptop here, only pen/tablets. The pen is used in all programs.

Someone suggested doing basic exercises when beginning with a tablet to build up skills quickly, and that turned out to be very good advice. Something like these very basic ones http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost...21&postcount=3

My wacom tablet can be used in two main modes. Pen or mouse. I always use mine in mouse mode for everything, and you can set up how fast you want it to zip around your screen. In pen mode, movement maps directly to where you are on your tablet. If you want to touch your top right of screen, you have to touch the very top right of your tablet, and that drove me bonkers.

The tablet is super sensitive to touch and that takes a bit of getting used to. Have to be careful where you wave your pen around After a pen, a mouse feels like a house brick in the hand. You can set how sensitive the pen is, and you might like to start with the sensitivity set lower until you get the feel of it.

If you have ever been into drawing or painting, the pen will probably feel quite natural for you.

Enjoy that tablet!