Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum jargon and Acromyns

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum jargon and Acromyns

Being relatively new to this forum and organised photography (meaning not just taking snaps of the family) I find it very difficult to follow some of the discussions and critiques as I do not know what a lot of these acronyms and jargon mean. I spend most of my time reading them with my Google opened on another screen searching for explanations.

Is there a list of explanations for jargon and acronyms in the library and if so can someone direct me to it as my lack of expertise in forums makes it very difficult for me to find things here?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Being relatively new to this forum and organised photography (meaning not just taking snaps of the family) I find it very difficult to follow some of the discussions and critiques as I do not know what a lot of these acronyms and jargon mean. I spend most of my time reading them with my Google opened on another screen searching for explanations.

Is there a list of explanations for jargon and acronyms in the library and if so can someone direct me to it as my lack of expertise in forums makes it very difficult for me to find things here?
    This raises an interesting point especially for new users. It's good that you pointed out "forum jargon" as well as the likes of photographic acronyms.
    I think it would be helpful (Wow! Even for everybody, now that I think about it.) if people begin with the full terminology if they introduce it in their post,
    and then provide the usual abbreviation or acronym.

For example:
    A thread is talking about "35mm equivalence in lenses between full frame and crop sensor cameras". At some point someone will introduce the term
    "Field of View". The user could immediately put "FOV" after it and then everyone could just continue to use that abbreviation because it has been defined. Ie., as follows:

"...the Field of View (FOV) of the lens..."

This would help those unfamiliar with the term just coming across a bald FOV in a post. If that person is reading posts after the one where the full term was introduced,
    then they can go back through the thread or look it up elsewhere. (A quick Ctrl-F and an upwards search will do that.)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 08-11-2015 at 4:29pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that some posts here are like a foreign language to me and do not understand them at all. Things like BG had me stumped for a while until I worked out it meant Background so yes even something as simple as that can be very confusing. DOF is ok even for beginners as that is pretty much standard but there is a lot on the forum that I have not come across before as people do not speak in acronyms in person and if one does not have forum experience then
    Last edited by Cricket; 08-11-2015 at 5:48pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS! BG is one I tend to use a lot. I will duly castigate myself and take a dose of my own advice.

- - - Updated - - -

From now on it will be "Background (BG)" if it's the first in any thread I see.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that some posts here are like a foreign language to me and do not understand them at all. Things like BG had me stumped for a while until I worked out it meant Background so yes even something as simple as that can be very confusing. DOF is ok even for beginners as that is pretty much standard but there is a lot on the forum that I have not come across before as people do not speak in acronyms in person and if one does not have forum experience then
    You will find it is mostly the photography terms that people shorten. So hopefully the site dictionaries can assist there. But also, remember you can just ask in a thread if you do not know what something means. People are generally all-to-happy to tell others.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except I really don't want to look like a total dork

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only total dork is the person who does not ask. We learn by asking and getting answers.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Sorry but this dork would like to know what SOOC means?"
    "Sorry but can you explain to this dork what DPP is?"

I'd actually love to see the word dork used much more on AP.
    And before any dork asks, AP means ....... mmmm , don't want to make it to easy (Mark's a dork).

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have a clue what DOF meant for ages. Probably not understanding the concept didn't help

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DORK : Dumbarse Operating Real Kamera ?

DOF : Slang for type of music ? DOF DOF
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-11-2015 at 7:25am.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    I didn't have a clue what DOF meant for ages.
    I used to think it meant Detail Outa Focus. Was so confused when people would comment that I could have used more DOF.
    "f.../stop, what are they talking about More Detail Outa Fucus?" Took a while for my photos to start not looking abstract.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I used to think it meant Detail Outa Focus. Was so confused when people would comment that I could have used more DOF.
    "f.../stop, what are they talking about More Detail Outa Fucus?" Took a while for my photos to start not looking abstract.
    would be great to start seeing some of these new photos Mark. I cannot wait to see how you have improved

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guilty as charged.
    But perhaps Cricket was referring to common informal shorthand, many of which probably don't belong in a more formal photographic dictionary like the one Rick linked to.

Random common terms that I can think of:

AP: Ausphotography
    TS or OP: Thread Starter or Original Poster/Original Post
    SOOC: Straight out of camera
    DPP or PP: Digital post processing or post processing. But note DPP is also the name of a Canon post processing software too.
    PS: Photoshop
    LR: Lightroom
    BG: Background
    IQ: image quality
    DR: dynamic range
    BIF: brid in flight
    BBF: back button focusing (AF-ON)
    OOF: out of focus
    HDR: High Dynamic Range
    MBP/rMBP: MacBook Pro/retina MacBook Pro
    WYSIWYG: What you see is what you get
    EVF: electronic viewfinder
    OVF: optical viewfiner
    ILC: interchangeable lens camera
    IS/IBIS: image stabilisation/in-body image stabilisation
    TTL: through the lens
    FF: full frame

etc. etc.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol well yes and there are a few there I had no idea about

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one got me when I first started shooting the Birds.. BOP Bird of Prey..
    And not to be confused with Bird of Paradise plant and there is a Bird of Paradise Bird also.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a list I compiled elsewhere on the web

AF Auto Focus When you let the camera decide when the subject is in focus. Depending on the focusing system of your camera and lens this could be quite fast or slow if the lens decides to hunt around to try and lock onto a subject
    Aperture The hole in the lens that controls how much light gets to the sensor/film while the shutter is open - Smaller number = bigger hole, bigger number = smaller hole... Refer to this article in wikipedia
    BIF Bird/Bee In Flight
    BG Background
    bokeh Blury background From wikipedia: is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".
    BOP Bird of Prey
    CC Construstive critique /
    Comments and Critique (usually written as C&C)
    When someone provides you with their idea on how you could improve your photograph. Photography can be very subjective so what someone says may not agree with what you think. This is ok, you are not expected to take on the critique of anyone who comments on your photos. After all it is only someone else's opinion, and they do not have all the contextual details about your photo, so it is entirely up to you whether you take on board the critique.
    CPL Circular Polarizing Filter
    DOF Depth of Field That part of a photograph that is acceptably sharp. (Controlled by Aperture)
    ETTL Expose Through the Lens or Expose to the Left
    ETTR Expose to the Right
    GND Graduated Neutral Density filter A neutral density filter that filters different amounts of light across different parts of the filter. Useful for reducing dynamic range of a scene, e.g. when you need to balance exposure between the sky and the foreground.
    HDR High Dynamic Range
    IQ Image Quality Use of this term has no relation to anyone's intelligence...
    ISO International Standards Organization - digital camera's (or film's) light-sensitivity Film speed is the measure of a photographic film's sensitivity to light, determined by sensitometry and measured on various numerical scales, the most recent being the ISO system. A closely related ISO system is used to measure the sensitivity of digital imaging systems. See this linkin wikipedia for more details
    MF Manual focus When you don't let the camera do the focusing and you manually try to get the optics to focus on your subject by turning the focus ring
    ND Neutral Density Filter A filter that cuts down on the amount of light entering the lens. The use of an ND filter allows for slower shutter speed and/or larger aperture when lighting conditions would normally be too bright for the settings you want.
    OOF Out of focus Usually when referring to a part of an image that is not in focus (not necessarily the main subject) e.g "The OOF tree on the right is distracting..."
    OP Original Post(er) The person who started a particular thread (or the first post in that thread) Context is always relative to the thread that "OP" appears in.
    OT Off Topic fftopic: Comments in a thread that have nothing to do with the OP (Original Post)
    OTT Over The Top
    PM Private Message or Premium Member you will need to rely on context to decipher this one
    PP Post Processing or Previous Post(er) Dependent on context
    RF Range Finder (camera)
    shutter A device that opens for a specific length of time (SS) to allow light to fall on the sensor while open
    SLR Single Lens Reflex (Camera)
    SOOC Straight out of Camera A shot that has had no post-processing
    SS Shutter speed length of time between when the shutter opens and when it closes when you press the shutter release.
    TC Teleconverter
    TFS Thanks for sharing
    TOG PhoTOGrapher
    TTL Through The Lens
    USM Ultra Sonic Motor
    UWA Ultra-wide angle
    WA Wide-angle lens
    WB White Balance
    YMMV Your Mileage may Vary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    would be great to start seeing some of these new photos Mark. I cannot wait to see how you have improved
    Well I got this photo yesterday morning. I think it shows the huge steps I've made in coming to grips with Detail Outa Focus (DOF).
    I didn't even have to sharpen the photo.

IMG_4803.jpg

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I didn't even have to sharpen the photo.

But you should'a!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apply some vignetting, add a levels adjustment, adjust the kelvin and and you will reach beginner level sometime in 2018, well done @markl;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast