A younger relative, not until now a photographic aficionado, recently returned from a trip abroad. After showing us some of the
pics he took, he began to lament how his recently acquired Nikon Coolpix S7000 just didn't cut it for image quality. We compared
fairly similar images of Portofino, his with the 16 Mpx Nikon Coolpix S7000, and mine with a 4.7Mpx Σ camera.
After some moments of being quite gobsmacked he asked if I could help him "get a much better camera". This, after some
talk about 1/2.3-inch vs APSC sensors, has come to mean a compact of some sort, not necessarily packed with gimmicks,
but one as described below.
- Is fairly compact (ie, not a DSLR nor an MILC), but which has a fixed zoom lens and which doesn't have to be 20X like
his present one.
- Has quite good IQ and with an APSC or so sensor.
- That is capable of recording raw images (pref with raw + jpeg).
- That can take 1080p video (or even more) in wide format.
- Price range preferably <= $A1000.
So folks, can anybody please advise what's out there that would fit such a bill?