Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Best large TV for viewing photos

Ausphotography Regular rexboggs5's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best large TV for viewing photos

My Photography Club is considering purchasing a replacement for our existing old monitor, which is used to display projected images for our club competitions (amongst other things).

If we can find a suitable one, our preference would be a large TV, as a monitor of the same size could be very expensive. With our current monitor, we can display images that are 1500 pixels on the longest side. We would want at least that many pixels vertically.

We would need to be able to calibrate the TV - brightness, contrast and gamma at least - so what is displayed on the TV would match what folks see on their calibrated monitors at home.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand/model of TV that would be suitable?

Thanks.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. No "recommendations" as such. I have seen camera images and videos displayed on 55-inch, 4K Samsung and
    Sony TV and they certainly look good.

You would HAVE to check out their color space capabilities, as computer monitors tend (my impressions) beat them there.

Resolution is not an issue, as the detail is very good even when you view the pictures compressed to fit inside the TV frame. Uncompressed, where you
    have to scroll about most full size camera images, the detail is even better.

BUT, if you view full-size camera images the "slideshow" will be laboriously slow. USB3 drives help if you have USB3 connections. (Samsung DOES have, but
    my last year's Sony does not.)

Recommend: you take a disk with separate folders of different sized images into a store and SEE how long the TV software takes to display them. (I will say the Sony is sedate!)
    ALSO check whether the folder structure is retained or whether the software "helpfully" dumps all the images in one place. AND, have nothing but images on the drive.

So, to stress the main point: speed of operation.
    CC, Image editing OK.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our club has a good projector and screen which laptops/usb stick etc can communicate with. Because it is a high quality projector, image quality is excellent. There was a government grant available which paid for it. In NSW there are often grants to help out community organisations, so it may be worth checking to see if any such funds are available for you.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What price (or range).

How large .. ie. min -max size, if any.

When you say the TV should have the ability to be calibrated, you obviously mean the TV's internal picture settings?
    Some TVs have the ability to be connected via a computer of some sort(be very careful of supposed 4K connections tho .. they can be very restrictive!)

So if you're thinking of using the TV as a substitute for a projector to view slides/slideshows .. then think about connecting it directly to a computer.
    This way you can calibrate it properly if you have a calibration device.

A few months ago I purchased a new TV for personal use(home), and went looking for this and that, with my main priority on a good(usable) TV for the lowest price.

I'm not that into TV, so anything above a $1K price range and the TV has to spit out large bars of gold for it to be a worthy investment.
    So with price range below $1K, I eventually settled on a Soniq 42" 4K capable Smart TV.

At first I hated it, in that I was hoping that I could access root(it's Android smart!), to allow me to do whatever I wanted.
    No go .. but not to worry. I have the apps I need(as opposed to want) .. and overall it runs fine.

Had a quick play with it in 4K mode, which is 3840x2160 mode or UHD .... rather than true 4K!(but makes no real difference really!) .. and it looked good.
    It allows me to tune in some variable sharpness via the OSD, and I had to change this setting from the one used in normal HD mode to when used in UHD.
    The only issue was when viewed a bit close, you could see the limited 30Hz flickering. Standing further back at about 3-4m .. maybe 5m it wasn't as bad.
    While it's definitely not PC screen replacement(due to the 30Hz refresh rate), I'd use it for an image slideshow viewed from a distance.

I don't have any 4K video to see how it works in this 4K/UHD mode tho to judge dynamic UHD content viewing at this low 30Hz refresh rate.

I can't complain too much tho, at less than $600 it does the job(as a TV).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, folks, much appreciated. We will be going into a local store to look at photos on a few TVs.