Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Question about posting

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about posting

Just had a look at my latest uploads in the bird forum alongside the originals in their folder on my computer.
    Noticed that my sig on the bottom L/H corner is unsharp on the forum and sharp on the computer.
    Is there some sort of degradation on upload?
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John. I just looked at four of your latest started threads with pics. I can't see anything wrong with your sig at the bottom
    of the images. Can you point to one in particular?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We do not alter the uploaded photos in any way. They are exactly the same size, (dimensions and KB) as they are on your computer. The only thing that could impact them is that you are not saving them in sRGB and most web browsers default to sRGB for display. If for example your images are Adobe RGB, and you upload them, the internet browser assumes they are sRGB and thus that can cause issues with the way they appear.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-10-2015 at 8:10am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top is a screen shot of Ausphoto and bottom one is my computer. Both sRGB

Picture1.jpg

I can see a difference, is it only me?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, in your first post you said "alongside the originals". Does this mean the very original pics before you re-sized them for AP?

Or, do you mean the ones re-sized for AP but viewed on your screen?

It seems to me (after looking at the pic in Photoshop at full screen magnification) that the image shown in the upper portion is
    of lower resolution than the one shown in the lower part. You can see more jpeg artifacts in it.

Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM, yes you are right, the original JPEG is lower and the AP modified one is upper.
    The original is the same size as the NEF (huge), and LR makes a smaller version of the NEF for AP.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    AM, yes you are right, the original JPEG is lower and the AP modified one is upper.
    The original is the same size as the NEF (huge), and LR makes a smaller version of the NEF for AP.
    You need to compare like with like. Ie compare 2 images of the same size. Rather than a NEF at say 5000 pixels wide with a JPG at 1000. When you resize a photo, the software uses an algorithm to delete all those extra pixels, the result is often loss of sharpness. Check the settings in your JPG saving. Things like reducing the filesize to fit our 250KB, if the original at 100% is 800kb, all affect the way an image looks.

If you upload a photo to AP and then look at the image info, the file is the same size as it is on your computer. KB and dimensions. We do not apply any processing or modification to members photos. The only part of the site where that happens, is in the competitions, where if EXIF remains embedded in the entry, we remove it, to ensure anonymity of entries, but again we do not alter the actual image data, just strip EXIF.

Have you tried a different internet browser, cause another cause could be how your browser is rendering images.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lowering of resolution will do that, but I would have to say that the effect is negligible as it appears here.
    The only possible fix I would suggest is that you do not put on the signature watermark until AFTER you have
    re-sized the image. Then when you use an appropriate sized font it will appear smoother. But you can see the
    mucking around that would involve.

I'd say leave it as it is, which is not too bad.
    Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference in size explains everything, thanks for the assistance.