Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: New Member - first post - HELP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member - first post - HELP

Hi Everyone,

I decided to tether my Canon 450D using EOS utility V2, everything seems to work but looking at the online instructions under the "Focus" tab while in live view, there should be "on" & "off" buttons and focus modes such as live view - quick view.

Mine has nothing it's all greyed out, I've clicked on the settings tab to enable live view, and I can manually focus with the left right arrows, but the auto part is missing - my camera is on AF mode.

Any hints or tips please.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome aboard, Andy.
    Sorry I can't help. You'll have to wait for some Canonites to log in.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What lens do you have on your camera? The software doesn't always allow full focus control on non canon lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was using Tamton 90mm but have tried the 18-55 that came with cam same thing.
    I took a screen shot but have no idea how to add it in to reply

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up the top of the page click on Library > How Do I
    If you have a Photobucket or flickr account you can post a larger image.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Welcome to AP.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used EOS utility for a couple of years, because now I use DSLR Controller on an android tablet and wirelessly control the camera.

I do remember having the same issue. I was using a Tamron Lens on the camera. I remember trouble with the greyed out menus in the focus modes, and seem to remember there was another setting I had to change first before I could get the focus modes to show up. I'd need to go and look in the laptop to refresh my memory. If no one else gives you an answer, I try and find time tomorrow afternoon to have a quick look.

With DSLR Controller, there is no problem getting the auto focus to work, but the auto focus stacking wouldn't work with a non canon lens, so I keep meaning to give it a go with a canon lens on the camera.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, be interesting to hear what it might be, I think it's some camera setting i have not done? I have tried helicon remote but no AF mode on that as well,

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSLR Controller worked AF fine with the Tamron. I just tap the screen on the tablet where I want the focus and it adjusts it well. Better still there is a zoom to get a very close view to focus manually. It also has the ability to focus stack and adjust the focus automatically by a set amount over a series of photos. That is what it wouldn't do with my Tamron Lens. The DSLR Controller App does cost a few dollars, but it didn't break the bank (my bank is very small). I use it wirelessly, but it can be tethered to my tablet by a usb cord if I want to go that way. The wireless is more convenient for me. It was so much easier than the EOS Utility, I stopped using the EOS utility.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In remote shooting via EOS Utility go to "other functions" , remote live view window then click on AF. Should solve the problem if I read it correctly. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for answering, under other functions - preview - test shooting, no mention of AF

In live view there is no Focus modes, now I know how to add a photo maybe this will explain what I see.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Andybris; 21-10-2015 at 7:49pm.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are missing the drop down box directly underneath Focus. Gives you the option of Live mode, face detection live mode or quick mode. From what I can see 1. shows you where your AF point is. 2. shows you where face detection AF point is. 3 Shows all AF points. In CA mode (top dial left hand side) The box is not highlighted so no changes. Same with M (manual mode) Also under preferences tick live view mode. If this is not what you are after please ask again and it should be fixed(eventually) cheers Brian

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,

YES - I have no modes to pick as there is nothing to click on.

CA mode? top dial left hand side? my cam is a 450d it has only dial on top right and no CA mode.
    I have tried every dial setting through all creative modes and P, TV, AV, M nothing makes the focus menu change from what you can see in above pic.

under other prefs there is no live view mode, just quick view and test shoot.

There is a live view button that opens the live view screen, where the above screen shot was grabbed from.

NOTHING makes the focus menu show the different modes??????

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIXED - Thank you for all replies, the answer from Canon Tech Dept - EOS 450D too old to have the AF feature.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a whole area I am yet to understand what is is, how to do it and what you guys are talking about