Former Username : Wetpixels
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

hope that helps.

Sure did. A great way to see some differences It also confirmed what most reviews seem to be saying about the Tamron at the 600mm end where I will be using it a lot- away from the centre, it is softer, and even shows more CA.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you going to use the photos for ..... ?
    Are the $$$'s really important?
    If you're going to be the best bird photog with the best equipment, dream on. I'm sure they are not your dreams (yet).
    So you can do all those ifs and buts. There's nothing wrong with some older lenses. If they work they work.
    So here's my older siggie 120-400 at 400mm and how it works (with better PPing skills the first would look better). The second was the starting point. It's just to demonstrate what you can do without spending to much money. Suspect the 150-500mm would do the same job (don't have to crop as much)
    Pink-eared Ducka.jpg

Pink-eared Duckaa.jpg

I suspect you'd be happy with that as you start your journey to becoming the best bird photog.
    We can get caught up with the technical but for what most of us want to do there is plenty of good stuff out there. Just decide then enjoy.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about making money, winning competitions, or anything like that. It's just that, over the next year or two, I will be doing a lot of travelling and camping in National parks and remote sites - like I did recently. I really enjoy going for walks and trying to take photographs of wildlife, especially birds. Posting the results here, and showing them to friends, is a bonus as well.

It's something really interesting to do. By definition, I guess, a hobby. Like all hobbies, we like to get better at them. So, I decided I wanted something better than my current lens, to make it easier to get nice pics.

If something comes up secondhand, or on sale, at a good price, I might grab that and be very happy with it. I've only been thinking about this for about a week. Plenty of opportunity left to change my mind a 3rd or 4th time

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider second hand, I think you need at least 400 for the birds. The 400 5.6L though old technology is still a great lens and would serve you well. You would be limited in low light... I am biased as I love prime lens for birds, but I do know the new 100-400 F4 is really good (but I think that would not be in your budget).

I know a few birders who have purchased the Tammy 150-600 and are very happy. Wish all the best in you search for that elusive lens
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Shelley's comments re prime lens.

The 400mm f5.6 L lens do pop up. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-400...UAAOSw9mFWIfKR
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WP -

I use a Tamron 150-600mm on a D800 and as a reasonably-priced option I think it's fantastic when used in GOOD conditions. I stress GOOD conditions as in low light the auto-focus hunts a bit (as I guess most lenses do).
    I use it hand-held most of the time, occasionally on a monopod and although most users seem to think the sweet spot is at about 550mm/f8, I find myself shooting mostly @ 600mm/f6.3 with higher ISO to get the shutter speed up and although it will never rival a 600mm prime, I am very happy with it.
    It can be had for a few hundred less than the Sigma equivalent and whilst that's a bit over what you want to spend, I think you would be very happy with it.

Cheers

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ AK

Thanks for the TDP link.

Using it has pretty much reinforced my decision to go with the Tammy if I decide on a zoom. Comparing the centre sharpness with the Siggy 'S' I couldn't see too much appreciable difference that a tweak of contrast couldn't overcome.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCat View Post
    WP -

I use a Tamron 150-600mm on a D800 and as a reasonably-priced option I think it's fantastic when used in GOOD conditions. I stress GOOD conditions as in low light the auto-focus hunts a bit (as I guess most lenses do).
    I use it hand-held most of the time, occasionally on a monopod and although most users seem to think the sweet spot is at about 550mm/f8, I find myself shooting mostly @ 600mm/f6.3 with higher ISO to get the shutter speed up and although it will never rival a 600mm prime, I am very happy with it.
    It can be had for a few hundred less than the Sigma equivalent and whilst that's a bit over what you want to spend, I think you would be very happy with it.

Cheers
    I am quite sure either the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm would make me happy. As for the budget, well, maybe I should believe in Karma. About a month ago, I decided not to buy a bigger outboard for the tinny. Seems this has earn't me brownie points, so when I mentioned increasing my lens budget to enable me to buy one of these beauties, it actually went down OK with the bank manager wife.

Of course this means I had to decide between the Sigma and Tamron. Some reviews said the Sigma auto-focus hunts less, so that was also important for me. Maybe some day, I'll use the USB dock, so another tick for the Sigma.

Did you notice the use past tense? Yep, I have pulled the trigger and bagged a lovely Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary. Couldn't be happier. Just had a session near a local creek, and got some great shots (for me anyway). Will be posting them soon.

Thanks to all who helped me decide. Please don't tell me how many times I changed my mind - but every new bit of information helped me a lot!

- - - Updated - - -

aah, look what my new lens did http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...58#post1320758

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, CONGS for deciding! Now we'll all wait for your test results.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, why the dock?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

Oh, why the dock?
    Not something I will use immediately, but you can create custom setups and select them with a switch on the side of the lens. Also, you can upgrade the lens firmware as updates come out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, CONGS for deciding! Now we'll all wait for your test results.
    Check the link I added above. I couldn't be happier with the lens.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I saw. VG.
    Just been out taking pictures of Sol (with special filter, so don't get any idearrs) and got the text on the police helicopter logo.
    I expect you to do better.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new lens may you have many happy hours shooting the Birds.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done on the test shots. I would highly recommend the dock. Not only for custom settings, but to fine tune the focus to your camera at about 20 different points.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Well done on the test shots. I would highly recommend the dock. Not only for custom settings, but to fine tune the focus to your camera at about 20 different points.
    I can see how that would be useful. Also, the computer geek in me is saying I should have one

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This the stuff the dock can do.

Capture.JPG

Enough for any Geek to play with.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    ..... Some reviews said the Sigma auto-focus hunts less, so that was also important for me. Maybe some day, I'll use the USB dock, so another tick for the Sigma.

Did you notice the use past tense? Yep, I have pulled the trigger and bagged a lovely Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary. .....
    Just some info for 'ya.(but I'm 99.9% sure that it may not apply to you *)

Sigma issued a new firmware update for that lens for Canon (as well as for the S version and a later update for the S version only for Nikon).

They do state in the update info area that the firmware update is for when the lens is attached to the Sigma teleconverter TC1401 to make AF more accurate.
    So you probably don't need it.

But it reinforces the point that Sigma have taken the best path forward when it comes to lens hardware.
    Such a simple device as the USB puck to connect the lens to, update firmware and all done .. in only a matter of minutes and without fuss.

OTOH, Nikon(and all others) are still stuck in the dark ages of funghi-ology... treating us like mushrooms and idiots thinking we know nothing, and that only they know everything.
    ie. Nikon's (other and latest) debacle with respect to lens firmware update requirements for the (otherwise nice sounding) 200-500/5.6VR.
    Mongo had recently posted about his ordeal with that lens. The recent news and Mongo's ordeal has put me off Nikon lenses now(plus all the other issues they've had) and where Sigma have any lens even only closely resembling a Nikon variant .. I'm almost certainly opting for the Sigma version anyhow.
    I did that many years back with the 50/1.4 I got(the old non Art Sigma 50/1.4) where even tho the Sigma was more expensive too, I still preferred the performance(overall, not just IQ) of the Sigma lens.

This recent ability for updating and tweaking the lens via the USB dock, only added to my bias now for thirdparty lenses(which I've always tended to have anyhow) .. and especially Sigma branded.

.. anyhow off my soapbox and just some info for' ya as to how handy that USB dock may be .. eventually!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur. Wow, using the Sigma at 600mm with a teleconverter. Never even checked if that was possible. Light levels would need to be good.

Anyway, nice to know they are updating their gear like this.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think it makes it an f/9 @ 840mm(so pretty close to 900mm).

But what you could do with it is say set lens to 500mm(where IQ sharpness will be slightly better than at 600mm!) and set aperture to f/11(for both IQ increase and DOF!!)
    This then will hopefully give you OK IQ, but at 750mm now.

I had a quick peek at TDP, and while they have used the 1.4 tc on this lens, they only did so at 600mm(ie. 840mm) and IQ is "ok" but not so great .. more dreamy looking than unsharp.
    But I'd like to see this TC on this lens at 500mm instead just to see if IQ still holds up well.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if the 2X compromises image quality then "Thread Title" <= cost of (Σ150-600C + Σ2X).

= A potentially big disappointment.

f/13 will be your widest aperture, and what were you saying in the ETTR thread about compromises?

Definitely try one out in a shop first

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast