Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Whip - husk, husk...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whip - husk, husk...

Not much I can do... but want to share.

This morning (very early), I was awoken buy the sharp crack of one of the local Eastern Whipbird Males calling out to his partner. This is far from unusual and not an entirely unpleasant way to be woken up.
    The difference this morning was the Female's response.
    The poor thing has laryngitis.
    Never heard of such a thing before... but there is no mistake.

He calls with an ear shattering "Whip!" she is responding with a barely audible "husk, husk".

The Male must have been shocked ad confused... as he kept calling out more times than usual... and each time the Female would try to respond instantly... but with a diminishing "husk, husk".

I grew very concerned... one of my favourite birds (I have a few) and she was not well.
    So I gathered up my gear and went for a walk out back.

Some positive signs... They were not lingering in the same place for long... and were slowly making there way into the more dense part of the bush.
    Soon they had travelled so far that the male was sounding distant.

Sure that she mustn't be too bad off and well out of my range to offer assistance, I went off in another direction to see if i could get some pics.
    I was out for a couple of hours... the snake is another story ... and all was quite until I got home.
    As soon as I sat down... directly out the back of my place... "Whip!" - "husk, husk".

The Male kept going and the Female kept trying to respond, but the "husk" was getting worse.
    I was ready to go out to again see if I could find her and see if she was as frail as she sounded... but again they were just passing through and were gone.

It's now just after midday and it is usually quiet out there at this time when the sun is out.
    Will keep my fingers crossed that she pulls through.
    I am relieved that the male hasn't abandoned her (it was a concern that he might if he was not recognising her call ).
    It still has me a bit concerned that she should be resting her voice in her condition... but the urge, her desire to respond to her mates call has been to strong. Overwhelming.

Today is supposed to be a hot one, so she should get a few hours break before he starts calling out again.

Get well soon little female Eastern Whipbird.
    And any time you want a pic taken... I'll be more than happy to be your photographer
    Last edited by JDuding; 16-10-2015 at 1:44pm.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a bad story , nearly a book could come out of this, just one of mine from animal calls
    mark anothony was walking along the nile looking for cleopatra and he heard mark, mark, he kept walking and looking and could here mark, mark and this went on and on until he turned a corner on the river bank and there stood a dog with a hair lip mark, mark

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the story.
    I have feeling she'll be okay and don't forget nature is nature. If she's not okay the world turns and she'll be okay.

And I don't have a hair lip bacca

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Ok Mark... I am not so attached as to grieve at her loss if that should happen.
    But if I had been able to help by finding her and taking her to a wildlife carer (had I found her and determined that that action was required)... then i would have.

As it is... I heard her a few time this arvo... still replying in that sexy husky voice.
    But I'll never know if she gets better or dies.
    There are a few pairs in this territory... which is not common apparently... but it is so rich with food, it can support them all.
    So, if she gets better, she'll sound fine, so I won't know that it's her... and if she doesn't make it... I won't hear her... but will hear the others... so won't notice her missing.

No... the point of posting this thread was not to share the romanticism surrounding a bonded pair of this species...
    ...but to highlight that it turns out that Eastern Whipbirds can loose their voice.

Last edited by JDuding; 16-10-2015 at 9:55pm.