I thought I would start a thread on dealing with cancer. It maybe too personal for some as it is a dreaded disease but this may give someone the opportunity to express their feelings and unload on what is a disease effecting so many people today.

It started out for me (my family) some 18 months ago. Our son, 42 years old, developed a painful lump in the groin area. Of course he is an Alpha male who put up with this inconvenience until it was painfully obvious that attention was required. What followed was a whirlwind of tests and results until eventually Non Hodgkin Lymphoma was the result. Next came the treatment after consultation with the top people in the field. And this was in a public hospital. Well the treatment was long, slow and depressing to watch as he suffered through chemo. I have lost count of the months of in and out of hospital as each cycle of treatment was carried out, then the wait for tests and results, followed by further chemo. You watch and wish you could take they're place. (An almost prophetic statement) This last treatment has been the worst effecting him as he had to stay in hospital for nearly 4 weeks of intensive chemo. He is now well enough to go back to work as the boss has been terrific. Now we wait with nervous anticipation for further testing to reveal the results of this later treatment.

During the last 2 months or so I underwent tests which revealed I too had cancer. Multiple Myeloma. So I have had my 4th treatment and coping well.

My greatest concern is for my son, being so young. I am confident in the both treatments even though I have private health cover the public system has been quite good. But there are draw backs in the public system like under-staffing, lack of bed space, lack of privacy, meals that are below standard in my opinion,(I am a chef by trade), a waiting list of some 60 to 80 patients wanting to get a bed, or unable to get a room where the other occupants don't snore all night. These are some of the drawbacks of the public system. The good part is how the staff handle it. They are absolutely fantastic and take everything in their stride. They carry the hospital in my opinion being the front line contacts.

My wife and other members of the family(I have 2 girls and 2 boys total) have also taken it well knowing that we have to let things take their course and hope for the best result.
I have always been confident in myself (perhaps overconfident) so I guess this is going to test that confidence. I am 65 and have had an interesting and varied life and been married to a wonderful lady for 45 years. Regrets I've had a few, but too few to mention.....Sorry could not help myself.

I didn't go into a lot of detail and needless to say I did not make this post for sympathy but just to share a story about life struggles and perhaps a chance for a few others to share.
cheers Brian

PS. I want a photo of myself and David (son) with bald heads. Unfortunately his might grow back before mine does the disappearing act. Oh well........ And the effects of the chemo has got me a bit out of whack so I hope this makes some sense...