Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: D750 shutter noise

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D750 shutter noise

Hi all I am just wondering if any of you D750 owners have noticed if your shutter release is louder than the norm ie the D800,810 etc and if so why. My brother in law recently had a play with one in Michael's as he was thinking of moving into FF but was disappointed with the noise the shutter release made. The salesman was also surprised and couln't offer an explanation.
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I remember it ... the D750(that MissionMan has) is a fair bit quieter than the D800(that I have).

I can't remember the tech specs of the D750, but it sounded a little more 'motor driven' .. snickey like sound, compared to the D800's more clunky 'thunk' sound.

BTW: the main sound id is not shutter, but mirror.
    To hear the difference, set the camera to liveview or mirror lock up mode.
    Then make the exposure.
    You will hear to distinctively different sounds.

eg. in Liveview mode, you hear the 'clunkier' sound of the mirror going up first. When you make the actual exposure, it then makes a 'snick' sound.
    Clunk is mirror, snick is shutter.

Same with mirror up mode. one press activates mirror up, and the next press activates the exposure(shutter). The two sounds are different and obvious.

ps. in normal shooting(as you naturally use a DSLR), you won't normally hear the shutter(snick) .. you hear the mirror(clunk).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur as you say it is the mirror noise and not the shutter and the d800 is louder than the d750 but not as quiet as the d810. So is there a reason that the the d810 is quieter than the d750 and that it is quieter than the d800.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo has not tried the D750. However, he can say that the D800 and D800E have very loud mirror "clunks". The D810 is a universe away in that it is so much quieter. Not sure where the D750 fits in noise wise but Mongo would have thought (given its vintage) that it should be much quieter than the D800 & D800E and more closely aligned with the D810 but perhaps not quite as quiet.
    Nikon and Pentax user

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by out n about View Post
    ..... So is there a reason that the the d810 is quieter than the d750 and that it is quieter than the d800.
    technology!

D750 is older tech(only just) but still relevant.
    Think of the technology in this manner: the mirror is lifted up by an actuator but the actuator is 'programmed' to lift quickly up to a point, and then slow the rate of it's rise as it nears the top of the travel. It slows down a bit to provide some cushioning effect for both noise, but more importantly to minimise vibrations.
    Mirror banging hard up against a dead stop type rest system create vibrations which we all know as mirror slap.
    So as manufacturer's improve their technology(or acquire it from other sources), this is one aspect of engineering that is constantly evolving.
    From memory (but I don't know for sure) ... I think the D810 uses a servo motor, or it uses redesigned counterweights(or something new!) for the actuation of the mirror now due to vibration/noise issues that the D800/E had.
    I'm not 100% sure if the D750(which is in effect a D600 to a large degree) uses this system.

All modern Nikon DSLRs have a [Q] Quiet mode that subdues mirror noise/vibration, which all (I think) it does is slow the mirror's travel to it's lower stop before it stops(at rest).
    You can see/feel this with a slightly more lengthy blackout delay in the viewfinder. You can hear it too, but the actual sound level(eg. in dB) is overall the same/similar.
    Nikon would have added some extra cushioning to the raising of the mirror stop(again for both noise and vibration) but once the exposure is taken, vibration is a non issue when the mirror comes to rest in the down position. I suppose they don't quite need the vibration reducing advances for that part of the mirror travel, so the noise level is probably going o be a bit more too.

So if in the normal mode it has a 0.25s blackout delay, then in Q mode, it may be more like .05s blackout(or whatever the actual figures are). And this delay is in the downward travel of the mirror as it comes to rest. It's this part of the noise that the Q mode is trying to minimise as it seems a fraction louder than the clack when the mirror is travelling upwards.

Hope that makes sense .. all I remember is how much more quiet the D750 was compared to the D800E I have.
    Haven't tried a D810 yet tho.
    Note that most Canon's DSLRs are quieter too.