Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop panoramas

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photoshop panoramas

Hi I have only recently purchased Lightroom and PS and are a novice especially with PS and are attempting my !st panorama in PS and would appreciate any help in what settings etc I need to use..
    I have exported 7 raw files taken with D800 from lightroom into PS and left everything as it was (setting auto) and it seems to proceed quite well until I go to save and try to send it back to Lightroom. I then get a message that the file is over 2gb and cannot be saved. What am I missing? Do I need to somehow make the resultant file smaller and if so how? thanks
    Cheers Gayle & Colin

Give Life your Best Shot.
    http://flickr.com/photos/2blooms/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over 2gb, the file needs to be saved as a PSB file rather than a PSD file. I gather you're trying to save it as a layered PSD. Flatten it and save it as a jpeg or tiff.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Over 2gb, the file needs to be saved as a PSB file rather than a PSD file. I gather you're trying to save it as a layered PSD. Flatten it and save it as a jpeg or tiff.
    Thanks warbler for your reply I have no idea what I am saving it as as I just press save and then ok What do you mean flatten it? It seems as though I have a long way to go in getting a grip on PS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you put together a pano in PS, you end up with a layered file. In your case 7 layers as you used 7 RAW files. If you just save, the app will try to save as a layered PSD file. The limit in size terms for a PSD file is 2gb. Go to your menu "Layer" and choose Flatten Image. That will combine all your layers into one, and considerably reduce the size of your file. You could just use the "Save As" command and save it as a JPEG image, or you could just save it as a PSB file as I said earlier. It really depends on whether you want to keep the layers or not.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outs. When you pres Save and then OK, does it not bring up a diaIf so, what is the default one?log box that gives you some file type options?
    If so, what is the default file type?

- - - Updated - - -

When I attempted a similar exercise with just 3 jpegs to merge I ended up with an image that was obviously a layer.
    As such, I had the option to save that as a PSD or a TIF - ie, not Flattened.

When Flattened (Layers - Flatten image) I could save as almost anything. -- BUT, your file size might be an issue
    if you tried to do that. Nevertheless, at one point you should see the file options you can save in.

Now, a Q: You merged full sized raw files? Do you need a stitched image that resulting size? If not, why don't you reduce the size?
    For instance, if you reduced it to 25% you'd get a file 1/8th the size.

Are new to panoramas, or just to dong them in Photoshop?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't be the file dimensions that are the problem. It will be the number of layers. Try it for yourself. Just get a normal jpeg image and duplicate the layer seven times and see what size the resulting PSD file is. This would be compounded even more if the seven RAW files the OP merged were in 16-bit instead of the 8-bit that a jpeg is in. When you open a RAW in CS6 and then save it, it will default to the PSD format, or one of the other larger formats if that is what you usually use. Luckily CS6 allows you to Save As jpeg even if your currently working in 16-bit, unlike CS2 where you'd need to convert to 8-bit first before it gave you jpeg as an option.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar issue with some collages I do for sale. I might combine 5 images into an A1 collage that includes three or four groups of elements including backgrounds and textures. I have to save them as layered PSB files because of their sheer size. I also save as JPEG for the prints, but I need the layered file in case a customer wants changes. I don't like to redo them from scratch. A pano is just a particular type of collage.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, with my (old and humble) CS2 version I still had only one layer.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all had CS2 once AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warbs. Don't you know I live in the PAST LANE!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the latest version of LR, just use the 'photo merge' to 'panorama', and see if you like the results, could save a trip to the 'Shop".
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Outs. When you pres Save and then OK, does it not bring up a diaIf so, what is the default one?log box that gives you some file type options?
    If so, what is the default file type?

- - - Updated - - -

When I attempted a similar exercise with just 3 jpegs to merge I ended up with an image that was obviously a layer.
    As such, I had the option to save that as a PSD or a TIF - ie, not Flattened.

When Flattened (Layers - Flatten image) I could save as almost anything. -- BUT, your file size might be an issue
    if you tried to do that. Nevertheless, at one point you should see the file options you can save in.

Now, a Q: You merged full sized raw files? Do you need a stitched image that resulting size? If not, why don't you reduce the size?
    For instance, if you reduced it to 25% you'd get a file 1/8th the size.

Are new to panoramas, or just to dong them in Photoshop?
    Am.
    Thanks Am yes to both questions new to panoramas and new to photoshop as well .... twice the confusion .... but have been playing around this morning again and have managed to save the resultant image as a jpeg, so that is progress

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    If you have the latest version of LR, just use the 'photo merge' to 'panorama', and see if you like the results, could save a trip to the 'Shop".

Thanks John, I have just updated my LR and since then I can't find where it had "photomerge and "panorama".. I am sure it was there before I updated and I'm sure it would be easier for me if I didn't have to go to the shop

- - - Updated - - -

Lookout Point-1.jpg

Hi just thought I would post the resultant pano for your thoughts

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Thanks John I have had another look but I don't seem to have that option in Lr I then checked to make sure I had the latest version and it says I have ... so will do some googling to find out whats happening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use lightroom, I use bridge. (Which came with photoshop CC) then follow the prompts.

Bridge.JPG
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop/lightroom panoramic modes are good but I found MsICE to be great, it's free and easily stitches mutli-rowed panoramas with ease - so easy to use, then you can open in lightroom or photoshop for editing. With the amount of times I have ended up with "boomerangs" with photoshop - I opted for ICE and it worked so much better But each to their own, depends on what you're comfortable working with
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/.../projects/ice/
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, Adam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest MSice for those that don't have, or have limited experience with PS or Adobe product. And have it on an older laptop because of the less drain on resources.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have this menu path in Lr...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with Adam. MSICE does pretty good. I'll convert RAW files to TIFF and do the stitching. Then you can do what you want in PS.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very rarely go to PS now that LR does HDR and Panorama, I use LR as a file system, and now, I don't have to go anywhere or change anything to get my desired results.
    Everything is done in LR - import, adjust, resize (crop), export as JPG's to the original file location, and finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast