Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Bathurst!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathurst!

G'day ausphotograhers!
    just after any advice for shooting on and around the track at Bathurst 1000 this year.. camera is a 6d, lenses are 150-500mm (unfortunately only a cheapy with no is.. but i needed some kind of zoom... other is 24-105mm1:4 and my fav widey 16-35 2.8.. thinking top of mountain wide action shoots, pits etc.. any one done a shoot there before that can offer advice?
    cheers n beers
    go holden..lol
    Cheers n Beers
    Shane..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to see no replies as yet Shane, as I am also after some tips for the upcoming Adelaide Classic. Seeing as how we are neighbors I will seek some advice for the gear I have and hopefully this will help you also, and yes, GO HOLDEN!!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by max2027 View Post
    just after any advice for shooting on and around the track at Bathurst 1000 this year
    The best advice I can give for the scenario in point form is ----

#1. Trade the Canon gear in on Nikon. Nikon will handle slow speed pans better which you will need for the Holdens, if you were photographing the faster Fords you might have been ok.

#2 Avoid the beers, it ruins steady hands and good photography.

#3 Amend that to tears and beers for the washup when the Holdens are all on the back of the flatop towies.

​Tongue firmly in cheek but it did bump your post a little.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the big reasons you will not get replies re Bathurst, is that conditions of entry mean that any photos you take can only be for personal use. Posting them on the net breaches your conditions of entry, so if someone posts Bathurst photos on AP, we have to remove the thread, or deal with lawyers threatening to have the site taken down.

Learn how to Pan would be my best advice. Practice on cars going up and down your street. The more you practice panning the better you get.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I never thought of that, kinda spoils the fun a bit? Are you on FB Shane?
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    One of the big reasons you will not get replies re Bathurst, is that conditions of entry mean that any photos you take can only be for personal use. Posting them on the net breaches your conditions of entry, so if someone posts Bathurst photos on AP, we have to remove the thread, or deal with lawyers threatening to have the site taken down.

Learn how to Pan would be my best advice. Practice on cars going up and down your street. The more you practice panning the better you get.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart86 View Post
    Well I never thought of that, kinda spoils the fun a bit? Are you on FB Shane?
    Most A Grade sporting fixtures have the same conditions. Cricket, AFL, Tennis, NRL, etc all have conditions of entry restricting what you can do with photos taken. Some even restrict what gear you can take in. Ie 200mm or more lenses are banned from some events.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...and-Conditions

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the heads up re legality issues... geeze glad i didnt post any also your advise was awesome, paning and capturing "speed" was tricky.. but worth a great shot..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The best advice I can give for the scenario in point form is ----

#1. Trade the Canon gear in on Nikon. Nikon will handle slow speed pans better which you will need for the Holdens, if you were photographing the faster Fords you might have been ok.

#2 Avoid the beers, it ruins steady hands and good photography.

#3 Amend that to tears and beers for the washup when the Holdens are all on the back of the flatop towies.

​Tongue firmly in cheek but it did bump your post a little.
    bahahahahaha!! this is gold... you've made my day with this.
    as it turns out.. the fords were tricky to capture as they couldn't keep to the track.. (hope ya feeling better chaz)
    got some wicked shots of lowndsey taking chequered and some great night shots of us all having a few cans exploring the mountain..
    thanks again mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smart86 View Post
    Sad to see no replies as yet Shane, as I am also after some tips for the upcoming Adelaide Classic. Seeing as how we are neighbors I will seek some advice for the gear I have and hopefully this will help you also, and yes, GO HOLDEN!!
    gday smart86, got some great shots over the weekend... still yet to get off the cards..lol
    facebook is shanemjconnelly@hotmail.com
    should team up and get some shots

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by max2027 View Post
    That's you're email not your facebook thing.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just say, for arguments sake, that I got a job at Bathurst 12hr race to take pics of flags. In between taking pictures of flags, I take some race pics.
    Can I post them anywhere (they are mine) or do the event conditions still apply?
    What are your thoughts.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    Just say, for arguments sake, that I got a job at Bathurst 12hr race to take pics of flags. In between taking pictures of flags, I take some race pics.
    Can I post them anywhere (they are mine) or do the event conditions still apply?
    What are your thoughts.
    Mate, you can take as many photos as you want at Bathurst. It's how you use them that might get you into trouble. They ARE very litigious from what I have heard from some other sports photographers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the reason for the Question, what you can do with them on the internet of things.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go. The best place to ask would be here:

media@v8supercars.com.au

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to make too many waves, just needed a little help for a friend.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might depend if the flags were advertising something also.
    Basically my understanding is, take as many photos as you want for private distribution. Want to show them in public, like here. forget it.
    I can understand them not wanting people to make money out of their product. But sharing publicly in some places, like here, surely gives their product greater exposure. Maybe they figure they get enough exposure anyway?