User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Is batch processing possible in Photoshop CC 2015?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is batch processing possible in Photoshop CC 2015?

In software that came with my Canon Camera, I remember you could apply a saved set of adjustments, to an entire batch of photos.
    It was fantastic if they were all taken at the same time and location and settings, and all needed much the same processing.

Alas, I've not used it for a long time, and it's not even on this computer anymore.
    I do however have Photoshop CC 2015 and do most of my stuff in there a photo at a time. Not too much of a problem as I generally take only a relatively small number of shots, and often widely apart and at different times and settings, so they all need individual treatment.

However, recently I've started shooting professionally for an aerial photography company (yes, I'm a licenced and accredited UAV pilot, and yes this company is officially accredited by CASA with their UOC etc etc, this isn't one of the dodgy outfits popping up)
    I had to do an aerial shoot of a construction site for a builder, and they are all shot in RAW, and all taken within minutes of each other in the same light and camera settings, so most need just the same processing.

I'd like to apply the basic presaved RAW process to all of them for shadows, highlights, lens correction etc, and then preferably apply a saved action from within PS (high pass sharpen).
    There are hundreds of these shots, and so far I'm having to open each RAW file in Photoshop's RAW program, apply the first saved process there, then select to have it open the image in PS, and then apply the high pass sharpen action and save as jpg there, It's not a massive job, maybe a minute or less per photo when really in the swing, but it's so tediously repetitive, I'd love to be able to apply even some of these steps - even just that first RAW process - to them as a batch.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is. I Loaded 1,500 photos into bridge yesterday, opened them all in Adobe Camera Raw, made all the adjustments I needed to, then clicked done, or you can go save images as if you like. Then it was a simple case of going through them for all for the minor adjustments like cropping, levelling, exposure and tweaking.

I also have actions in photoshop for saving the images. I have one that saves each file as a big jpg, then moves to the next image. My next action (Because I load most into face book) is to resize the image to 1024 x ?, then save into a separate folder. Takes roughly 10 minutes to process and save 35 images
    Last edited by geoffsta; 28-09-2015 at 9:30pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Yes it is. I Loaded 1,500 photos into bridge yesterday, opened them all in Adobe Camera Raw, made all the adjustments I needed to, then clicked done, ...
    But doesn't that only save the things you can do in Camera Raw? If Ez wants to do lens correction and high pass sharpen (why do you need that?) in PS that won't be saved via Bridge?????

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about PS CC 2015, but batch processing has been available in every version of photoshop I've ever handled.

Here is a web page with comprehensive instructions on batch processing raw files in CS3 http://ronbigelow.com/articles/batch/batch.htm I doubt if there have been huge changes in CC 2015, so see how you go.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found what I was doing wrong. I was trying to find options in the camera raw software.
    Once I opened directly into Photoshop and chose "Open" and the selected ALL the raw files I wanted, it opened them ALL in the camera raw program, and allowed me to apply the same saved Preset to all of them.
    The lens profile correction is actually part of how I have that preset set up, along with the shadows, highlights, contrast, changes etc. So that took care of all the major tweaking.
    I simply like to do a high-pass sharpen later in the PS program rather than the raw program, as it seems to do a nicer job of sharpening than most of the other sharpen options. I use it a lot for doing the sharpening.

The batch process worked fine in Camera Raw (9.1.1) but I still cannot get the actual PS program to do the batch process of an action that I want. I tried automate>batch> then set it up to run the action on them all.
    It did seem to do it at one stage, but it didn't save any of them even though the whole second section of the batch program had been filled in with the directory and the filename structure etc, the saved files never appeared in that directory (nor anywhere that my search could locate).
    I tried it first by pointing it at the directory the files were in and trying to run it that way, but that did exactly nothing, then I tried it by opening every one of the files (150x 15meg RAW files nearly killed my poor computer) and that was when it seemed to run the action on them all but never saved them. I tried it both ways with "override save as" ticked and unticked. I guess the solution is to make the save routine a part of the action, but that makes changing the file name in the process a whole lot harder.

Oh well, more playing around still to be done. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go have a look at that link Farmmax has included.
    Thanks again to all of you.

Geofsta, what is "bridge" as I can't find that as part of Photoshop CC 2015.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    The batch process worked fine in Camera Raw (9.1.1) but I still cannot get the actual PS program to do the batch process of an action that I want. I tried automate>batch> then set it up to run the action on them all.
    It did seem to do it at one stage, but it didn't save any of them even though the whole second section of the batch program had been filled in with the directory and the filename structure etc, the saved files never appeared in that directory (nor anywhere that my search could locate).
    I tried it first by pointing it at the directory the files were in and trying to run it that way, but that did exactly nothing, then I tried it by opening every one of the files (150x 15meg RAW files nearly killed my poor computer) and that was when it seemed to run the action on them all but never saved them. I tried it both ways with "override save as" ticked and unticked. I guess the solution is to make the save routine a part of the action, but that makes changing the file name in the process a whole lot harder.
    Sounds like your actions might be the problem. If you have the Open command recorded in your action, and you don't have the Override Action Open Command checked then that location will be where the action goes to open your files. If you do have the override checked, it will go to the nominated folder to find your files.

Likewise, if you have a save command recorded in your action and you don't override that action, your files will go to that location and not the one you nominate in the dialogue box. If you don't have a location nominated as in "Folder", and you have no save command in the action, then it will simply be running the action, closing the files, and NOT saving them.

This is also a trick when running actions via the Image Processor. You must disable any save or close commands in the action to run it successfully as part of the Image Processor. I usually just go into the action first and uncheck that part of the action and it then runs fine.

I have actions setup for various little edits and allocate keys to them. If I'm editing photos for customers for instance I have keys set up for different sized prints. I do the edit and save the finished work as a layered PSD or PSB file first, then hit the key combo to save a sized JPEG for printing. You can string all these little actions into larger ones by running them whilst recording the new larger action. Your new action will then run your component actions as part of the process.

As I said though, Droplets are great tools when you get comfortable with actions.\

Untitled-1.jpg
    Last edited by Warbler; 01-10-2015 at 10:49pm.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bridge CC now has to be downloaded as a separate application.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of repeating myself, I'll post to this thread again.

You can effectively batch process any number of ways using Photoshop CS6 and CC 2015. If what farmmax says about having to download bridge separately in CC is the case, then I'd do that right away. What bridge will let you do is filter your RAW images by7 EXIF field, so you can batch edit in ACR particular images, say all high ISO images, or all wide angle shots taken with a particular lens, etc. You use the filter, select all the images and open them in one go into ACR.

Now you might want to save a preset in ACR for just that type of image and have it applied like a preset in LR. You select all in the dialogue box and do your changes and then click done. Do this for all your required images. If you didn't want to edit them further in Photoshop, you could instead of using the Done button, click on the Save Image button and save to one of either PSD, TIF, or JPEG formats right there in ACR. This works in the background without opening Photoshop at all. You can even open it yourself and do other work whilst this runs in the background.

Once you've done your recipes in ACR, you can run an action in Photoshop to edit a batch, run Image Processor to do the same thing that ACR did in the last step, or use a combination of those two ie run an action as part of the Image Processor.

You can also set up your action as a Droplet and run it from outside Photoshop. It will open Photoshop itself to process the files.

The thing about Droplets is that you can run them via a Command Prompt from windows and hence run several of them in order or intersperse then with DOS- like commands such as "move", "copy", "rename" etc.

PM me if you want more info/help.
    Last edited by Warbler; 01-10-2015 at 6:25pm.