User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Latest PayPal scam email with a warning about phishing scams.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest PayPal scam email with a warning about phishing scams.

Yep, this hit my email inbox today.

These insidious identity thieves are going to new levels to con you into thinking their emails are the real deal.

They are including a warning about phishing scams and spoof websites.

The sad thing is that some not so tech-savvy folk will get duped into clicking onto one of their links.

I've got to the stage where I don't click on any email links and go to the sites saved web address and proceed from there.

PayPal Scam 9-15.JPG
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes mate I have had a few of these your account has been limited.
    I just delete them.

Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I've got to the stage where I don't click on any email links and go to the sites saved web address and proceed from there.
    This is the BEST thing you can do to protect yourself.

You get an email, never click links but type in the URL in the address bar...

(of course there will be occasional instances you do need to click the link, like when you sign up for somewhere like aus photograpy, and you are expecting to get the activation email.... Hmm... that still leaves a tiny window when you are potentially vulnerable if a scammer manged to send you a phishing email for the site you just signed up on, just before you received the activation email... however, the chance of a scammer being able to detect that window and act upon it are incredibly tiny)

Sites like paypal do have an email address you can forward scams like this to.
    Last edited by tandeejay; 24-09-2015 at 3:26pm.
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, almost a daily occurrence here to get an ANZ, ebay, paypal or apple "your account needs attention" notification.

I rekun I am smarta than them tho cos I dont have any accounts with ANZ, ebay, paypal or apple.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in fact, the scam email you've posted, includes the real paypal spoof email reporting address
    Last edited by tandeejay; 24-09-2015 at 3:28pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have obviously plucked their warnings from a genuine PayPal email, including this bit,
    How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or phishing emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your given name and family name.
    in which they shoot themselves in the foot as there is no salutation at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    in fact, the scam email you've posted, includes the real paypal spoof email reporting address
    PayPal's local scam reporting address is actually phishing@ paypal.com.au (Space intended)
    Last edited by Cage; 24-09-2015 at 3:49pm.