Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: ND Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ND Filters

Hi All,
    I have decided to try some long exposure landscape shots and have purchased a Hoya ND1000 filter 82mm Dia
    I have been told that I can use reduction rings to enable me to use this filter on other lenses
    They are machined Alloy/brass and from what I can see would be the best solution to cut down costings for various filters
    Any comments/recommendations ?
    .Bob

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a couple of reduction rings and for screw on filters is really the only way to go to allow you to swap between different lens diameters. On potential drawback can be vignetting if you need to use a number of rings to step down from 82mm to a much narrower diameter, but if you get the right rings for your lens set, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the mistake of thinking that you can use one of those sets of rings where you go down step by step, like these:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26-82mm-8...item4d32061923
    I have found that they are very likely to create a vignette if you have to use more than one to get the right reduction.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not if it's fairly bigger than the smaller-diameter lenses you are going to use it on, but you would NOT want to employ too many stepping filters
    so that you do not push the filter too far away from even such lenses. What are some of the lens diameters besides 82MM?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Not if it's fairly bigger than the smaller-diameter lenses you are going to use it on, but you would NOT want to employ too many stepping filters
    so that you do not push the filter too far away from even such lenses. What are some of the lens diameters besides 82MM?
    72mm & 77mm
    i have been advised that i can purchase 1 reducer per size ie 82-77 & 82-72 so that should aleviate the vignetting problem
    I also amtrying some Cokin graduated filters as well
    Just trying to learn more and explore my capabilities ( not the camera as I know it has more capability than what I will ever use )

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! That's 5mm - well, 2.5mm per side.... Mmm! Might get away with it.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't meaasure it by the distance per side you need to watch for .. I'd look at it from the perspective of what lens type you are using it on.

eg. if you were using these rings on a 200mm lens with a 77mm filter thread, then because the angle of view is so narrow .. you could easily stack four or so small graduations of adapters and get away without vignetting!
    But if your lens was say a 10mm focal length, the the FOV is going to be something like 100° or so .. so even one adapter could cause mechanical vignetting.

So what is more important is what type of lens is it(are they) rather than just the filter ring diameter.

But in saying that tho, I dare say that the 72mm filtered lens should be fine with just the one adapter even if it's an UWA type.(unless it's a 180° fisheye lens! )
    The idea of the one type of filter adapter per lens is the best way to go tho
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I wouldn't meaasure it by the distance per side you need to watch for .. I'd look at it from the perspective of what lens type you are using it on.

eg. if you were using these rings on a 200mm lens with a 77mm filter thread, then because the angle of view is so narrow .. you could easily stack four or so small graduations of adapters and get away without vignetting!
    But if your lens was say a 10mm focal length, the the FOV is going to be something like 100° or so .. so even one adapter could cause mechanical vignetting.

So what is more important is what type of lens is it(are they) rather than just the filter ring diameter.

But in saying that tho, I dare say that the 72mm filtered lens should be fine with just the one adapter even if it's an UWA type.(unless it's a 180° fisheye lens! )
    The idea of the one type of filter adapter per lens is the best way to go tho
    Thanks Arthur
    Yes I am trying to avoid "stacking " filters as I have learnt that you can expect problems if using the wrong type (size)
    Using just one ring to adapt the filter to the lens definetly makes sense to me as you would be keeping the filter close to the lens (50mm F1.2, 24-70,16-35 & 70-200 2.8)

As an aside where do I post photo's for crtique on this site? Be darned if I can figure that one out
    Bob

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc163 View Post
    Thanks Arthur

As an aside where do I post photo's for crtique on this site? Be darned if I can figure that one out
    Bob
    Any of the forums listed .. except the forum labelled Not for CC.
    That forum is separate to the areas marked for CC.

So if you go to the general Forums page, you'll see listings for various sub fora.
    In the general sub heading there is one marked Not for CC . post there just to share some images that you dont' want CC on.
    Below that is the Constructive CC area, with all the relevant sub headings .. People/Places/Macro etc .. etc. This is where you place photos if you want some comments.
    (you're probably kicking yerself now for something so simple! )

ps. Not that it's important, but are those Canon or Nikon type lenses. The only reason for that question is that if you (say) ask a question that is a bit general like "my camera/lens has some issue" it's handy for folks that want to help to know what brand/model etc.
    The easier way to do this is to go to your profile page and just make a simple listing in your signature describing (brief or in detail) what gear you have/use/like/want/need/desire for

As an example: you say you want filter thread adapters, to go from 82 down to x and y.

Looking at your lenses, now, they could be Canon or Nikon. But some of us automagically know that a Canon 16-35 uses an 82mm thread, whereas the Nikon 16-35 uses a 77mm thread.
    (so from that I assume you have Canon gear! .. and only because Nikon don't use any 82mm threads on any of those lenses you listed).
    I'm only guessing here, but I reckon the Canon 50/1.2 uses a 67mm thread .. Again just a hypothesis on my part because the Nikon one uses a 58mm thread .. and none of the lenses you listed in Nikon world use 67mm threads.

Now knowing (or on my part .. assuming!) these are the lenses you want to use with filter thread adapters .. I'd say that even using a few stacked step down rings .. you will be safe from vignetting!

So to answer your question more 'accurately' .. while it's probably better to use a single step adapter .. looking at the lenses you're using .. i'd personally just get a set of various rings of all sorts and use multiple adapters.
    The multiple step adapters always seem to be cheaper and easier to get hold of and may come in handy for something else in the future.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Arthur,
    Yes I do shoot Canon
    So simple yet so hard to recognise
    The 50 mm lens is 72 mm
    I have endeavoured to use L series lenses when I can afford them as I proscribe to the theory that if you are going to purchase an item why not go for the best that you can afford taking into consideration value for money etc hence I now own 8 L's and 1 85 EF
    Thanks again
    Bob

- - - Updated - - -

will post some shots this weekend on forum
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just traveled with my little Sony kit and took my 77mm filters.

For my wide I have a single 62-77mm ring.

For my 50mm lens I have a 49-58mm ring to a 58-77mm ring.

For my 30mm lens I attach a 46-49 ring to the two above.

I don't get vignetting on any of these.

I got them all on eBay, they are OK quality. They do the job, you just have to be careful of cross threading.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re cross-threading... I found that esp with fine threads as you get on filters, fit them on by firstly turning them backwards on the
    lens about 1/4 or so turn. This seems to "sit them in" to the right position "a bit better", and then screw them on normally.