User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Look At You Looking At Me... Looking at you.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    08 Sep 2015
    Location
    Kurunjang
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Look At You Looking At Me... Looking at you.

    A scaly breasted lorikeet on a sunny day.
    Last edited by Circled By Confusion; 10-09-2015 at 2:20am.

  2. #2
    Former Username : Wetpixels Dazz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 May 2013
    Location
    South East Queensland
    Posts
    3,253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great when they stare back isn't it. Nice pose.
    Last edited by Dazz1; 10-09-2015 at 8:34am.
    80D, 600D, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: DPP4, Gimp, UFRaw, Rawtherapee, DigiKam, Hugin

  3. #3
    Loves The Wildlife. Mary Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Southside.
    Posts
    35,674
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are such lovely Birds and I find them to be more friendly than the Rainbow Lorikeets and a shame you put this one here as we cannot cc your image in this Forum.
    Its a good idea to post your delightful Feathered Friend images in the Bird Forum next time, though good on you for getting that first post out of the way.

    I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras



  4. #4
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    08 Sep 2015
    Location
    Kurunjang
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    It's great when they stare back isn't it. Nice pose.
    He was very inquisitive. Perhaps was trying to work out what in the heck that big single eye was all about.

    Thanks for looking.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    They are such lovely Birds and I find them to be more friendly than the Rainbow Lorikeets and a shame you put this one here as we cannot cc your image in this Forum.
    Its a good idea to post your delightful Feathered Friend images in the Bird Forum next time, though good on you for getting that first post out of the way.
    This guy was at Healesville Sanctuary and was semi tame, I tried to get him to eat out of my hand but he wouldn't quite get the moxxy up to do it. Thanks for commenting.

    BTW I got my first post out of the way here with a pair of much more recent images: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...141729-My-Bike

    Cheers Mary Anne, and your Lori photos really float my boat.

  5. #5
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    18,548
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circled By Confusion View Post
    He was very inquisitive. Perhaps was trying to work out what in the heck that big single eye was all about.
    I sometimes wonder if birds see their reflection in the lens and stop and check it out. Just one of my theories.
    Glad you've progressed past those auto modes since you took this.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    23 Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, now this is one classy photo. A standout pose by the Lorikeet and I also love the background. Most enjoyable image to look at.

  7. #7
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    08 Sep 2015
    Location
    Kurunjang
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I sometimes wonder if birds see their reflection in the lens and stop and check it out. Just one of my theories.
    Glad you've progressed past those auto modes since you took this.
    I used manual mode rather regularly some time before I shot that Lorikeet Mark.

    You see, my fine feathered friend, the (totally manual) Nikon FM film SLR I used
    for about a quarter of a century and the Russian Zenit I used prior to that,
    had no Auto or program functions. Or auto focus either.

    You set the film speed on the DIN/ASA scale according to film type,
    and set shutter and aperture according to the light meter.

    Below is a photo I took of the late and great Ayrton Senna piloting an F1 McLaren
    in the wet with the Nikon FM.... manual shutter speed, manual aperture size aaaand manual focus.

    The image is a digital scan of the colour neg.

    "Glad you've progressed past those auto modes since you took this." You're a funny boy.


    I don't know about your camera, but the Program modes on my Fujifilm and my D700
    are darn useful, I'm not saying there is no need for manual Mark, but...if you have a dog, you don't bark for it. And when I use P mode, more often than not it reads my mind and makes great exposures.
    And when it doesn't read my mind, a click or two of the primary command dial (on the Nikon)
    get things where I want them.


    AS50.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Luwii View Post
    Oh wow, now this is one classy photo. A standout pose by the Lorikeet and I also love the background. Most enjoyable image to look at.
    Thanks for the encouragement Luwii, it's much appreciated.
    I see you are located in Adelaide. The photo of Ayrton Senna above was shot in Adelaide.

    Even though I'm from/in Melbourne, the F1 GP was far better in Adelaide than it is at Albert Park.
    Adelaide hosted the GP year after year like a huge party... Totally OTT.
    On the Saturday of the year I took the image above I will never forget this bloke in a daze
    wandering down the main street at 10am in his pyjamas with the crowd cheering him on, and the pubs selling drinks out of
    the windows onto the footpath. And the F/A18s flying so low people were getting
    blown off their feet with the jet blast... The sort of thing that would be condemned by the
    OH&S nannies today... God! Adelaide ROCKED.
    Last edited by Circled By Confusion; 16-09-2015 at 5:38am.

  8. #8
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    18,548
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I started the SLR journey with a Zenit and only moved on when it started to fall apart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Circled By Confusion View Post
    And when I use P mode, more often than not it reads my mind and makes great exposures.
    And when it doesn't read my mind, a click or two of the primary command dial (on the Nikon)
    get things where I want them.
    And for birds I don't want the camera reading my mind. So depending on the circumstance, aperture or shutter priority will do me Though that's not all).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •