User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Image transfer to ipad help needed please.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew!

Try thisif you 'aven't already)

Take one of those recalcitant jpg images and just save it using something like Fastone Viewer.
    Do nothing else to that file .. no edits .. no nutt'n!

Just save it (with whatever compression ratio you see fit .. I don't think it'll matter)

So if IAM_7011 doesn't get recognised by the i(nfuriating)Pad now .. just use any other software(FSViewer, or Paintdotnet or even something as silly as M$'s Paint!!) .. just use another software to save that jpg again.

If that doesn't work .. use the axe!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was expecting a properly researched answer from you AK, that might have provided an explanation. FWIW IAM_7011 is recognised by the iPad. And, I think Andrew has multiple images to transfer, so opening and saving in another program is going to be a total PITA.
    Last edited by Mathy; 09-09-2015 at 9:44pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a theory!
    ... but it's only a theory at the moment, and I'm basing that theory on an assumption.

I actually got lost a little after the mention of the axe as a form of restitution!
    (I've had troubles with iPads and iPhones over the years too .. not personally, but others devices).

But .. if I wasn't clear, or if I confumbled the issue any .. take one of those non compliant images saved as jpgs .. and save it again as a jpg using an image editing/viewing software as simple as FSViewer or whatever .. and see if it loads onto the ipad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I actually got lost a little after the mention of the axe as a form of restitution! ...
    I dunno. It still stands as a possible valid solution to the problem as posed, which itself is really only an outcome of
    restricted-perspective corporatisation. Certainly, too, it has an immediacy about it which is almost elegant when compared
    to other solutions, such as Andrew joining an order of ascetic monks who eschew the likes of technologised common fruits
    that are proffered as panaceas to problems mostly imagined.

What clarity can you provide to an issue designed to be confumbled in the first place?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having wasted the time when I should have been vacuuming, in order to research this issue, I would like to know if Andrew just saved one of those images with a 8char.jpg filename and tried to upload it - as I suggested, several hundred posts ago

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no trouble transferring photos to an android tablet, via camera or copied from the pc or sd card. Doesn't care how they are named. Do need an app to view raw files.

IPad's .... never touched one in my life

Out of curiosity, have you only tried with one sd card, or have you tried a variety of sd cards?

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AK, getting the axe ready. Not by design but as a matter of course I had prepared "web" versions of all files in BD Sizer ---- still no recognition of those files. Too lazy to try another program, axe is easier.

Mathy, I am truly sorry to tear you away from your domestic bliss, yes, as I wrote in post #8, the 8 character file names assigned to the processed images weren't recognised.

Max, multiple cards used, their camera, my camera and a sundry one kicking around the place. Not a card problem I am sure of that.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    ... getting the axe ready. .....
    Even tho it's not strictly required .. sharpen it just for the fun of it!

Now that would make an interesting timelapse sequence, me thinks!

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even tho it's not strictly required .. sharpen it just for the fun of it!
    Just wondering how much sharpening you would recommend and should sharpening masking be applied?
    Last edited by mpb; 10-09-2015 at 3:02pm.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My method: use iTunes. I import photos to iPhoto first, create Albums etc on iPhoto. Then use iTunes to sync to the iPad.

To transfer photos from Windows PC,
    Copy or drag your photos to My Photos (or any other folder) folder. Then use iTunes to sync. (You might need to connect your iPad to your PC via USB cable,) click on the iPad, then select Photos on under Settings on the left pane. On the main section, Copy photos from either My Photo folder or another folder.
    cameras: Sony A7 II, A7r, NEX-7, A350, HX50V; Canon EOS 70D | Flickr | a very happy Mac user

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    (You might need to connect your iPad to your PC via USB cable,)
    Thanks Antony but therein lies the problem. It is not my ipad, I don't own one. Apparently if I was to connect their ipad to my pc the devious apple gods would want to synch all the contents of the 2 devices and that is not a desirable solution.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the use of iTunes doesn't really answer the question of why a jpg file from one camera is fine, yet the same file type is not allowed from another camera!

So the underlying issue is what is it about the jpg file type that iOS doesn't like.

We know that the jpg from the D5100 is OK on the iPad, and we know that the image from the D800(I assume) is ok if emailed.
    But the jpg from the D800 is causing the issue.

Have you tried to shoot an in camera jpg on the D800 and see if it's recognised by the iPad.

Also .. something else to try:
    I don't know if you know of a program called IJFR.(Instant Jpg From Raw)
    What it does is simply extract a jpg from inside the raw file.
    It's easy to do.
    So you'd knowing which of the jpg files is causing issues, instead of converting a jpg from the raw file, you use IFJR to simply extract the jpg file.

To download IJFR, you do have to register on the site .. but it's safe( I've done it and you won't get spammed). Install the program and if it gives an option to install the shell extension, do so.
    What the shell extension is, it simply loads a right click option to extract the jpg from any raw file you rightclick. Really easy.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried to shoot an in camera jpg on the D800 and see if it's recognised by the iPad.
    Yes, see post #6.

Right, the issue has been solved.

The images have now been recognised by the ipoo and transferred.

Read carefully.

In order for this particular ipoo to transfer the files the SD card must have the main folder ( DCIM ) which is created when the camera captures an image. The card must also have the sub folder ( in this case 918ND800 ) where the captured image resides.

Here is where the process came unstuck for me. When attempting to transfer a sample processed image ( renamed to a consecutive file number as the camera captured image ) I was finding that the ipoo would only recognise the camera captured image. It took my limited intelligence some time before I had the thought -- "what will happen if I add a processed image to the folder but this time delete the camera captured image?"

Yep, that is the solution, delete the camera captured image from that folder and the ipoo suddenly recognises the other file ( subsequently 126 files ) and happily transfers them.

Why? I dunno.

Would I own an ipoo after this experience? No way, if I desired such a beast I would get me one of them androgynous things.

Do I still want to hit the ipoo with an axe? You betcha.

Thank you everyone for thoughts, help and suggestions.
    Last edited by I @ M; 11-09-2015 at 12:00pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew. DON'T put that AXE away just yet. I heard today that FRUIT have just released another three varieties
    for general consumption. DON'T ASK what, because I'm NOT INterested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12