User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image transfer to ipad help needed please.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image transfer to ipad help needed please.

I am trying to transfer images that I have taken to an ipad via an sd card and ipad card reader.
    The ipad is up to date as far as operating system etc.
    I have copied images in a folder to the card.
    I have copied individual images to the root directory of the card.
    I have copied images to the Nikon created folder on the card.
    I have renamed the images to a simple name the same as the Nikon images that are recognised from the owners Nikon camera.
    I have used multiple cards.

The ipad will not recognise that there are images on the card ( ipad card reader ) waiting to be transferred.

However, if the ipad owner takes a photo with their camera ( Nikon D5100 ) and inserts a card with that image on it in the card reader the ipad recognises that there is an image there to be transferred.
    If I take a photo with my camera and insert a card with that image on it in the card reader the ipad recognises that there is an image there to be transferred.

I can email the image that I have taken and the ipad displays the attached image correctly.

Why can I not transfer images via the card + reader to the ipad.

Am I missing something very basic or is there a known problem?
    Google searches so far have not shown any problems.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you trying to transfer images from computer via SD card to iPad? So, the images that you want to transfer are on an SD card formatted for PC/MAC aren't recognised but, images on a camera formatted SD card are?

Have I interpreted this correctly?

What model iPad?
    Last edited by Mathy; 09-09-2015 at 11:33am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The images are all processed on a pc and saved as JPG files, they are then copied to an sd card/s that have been formatted in camera.

When inserted into the ipad card reader the ipad simply says that there are no images to be imported.

The same card/s used to record a freshly taken picture and loaded into the card reader on the ipad ( no pc involved ) is recognised and the freshly taken JPG picture can be saved to the ipad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --scrubbed---
    I'm wonderbaring if there isn't some sort of permissions issue stopping you doing it, Andrew, but you don't have any
    messages to such effect?
    Last edited by ameerat42; 09-09-2015 at 11:42am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've renamed the files as per how a camera does then they're strictly 8.3 format? Apparently this can be an issue.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    If you've renamed the files as per how a camera does then they're strictly 8.3 format? Apparently this can be an issue.
    The processed images that I am trying to load to the ipad have been assigned a filename in the same way that I have always named files and that file naming has never been an issue transferring to other devices or to printers.

The freshly taken JPG images taken by both the ipad owners camera and my camera that show as available to be transferred are named as the camera applies file names. In the case of the images from the owners camera they show as DSC_876 and the images from my camera show as IAM_7010.

If I rename a processed image as something like DSC_999 and then copy it to the same folder as one of the freshly taken images it will not be recognised by the ipad but the DSC_876 image is recognised.

At this stage I am about to take said ipad outside and dispatch it with swift blow from the back of an axe.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The processed images that I am trying to load to the ipad have been assigned a filename in the same way that I have always named files and that file naming has never been an issue transferring to other devices or to printers.

The freshly taken JPG images taken by both the ipad owners camera and my camera that show as available to be transferred are named as the camera applies file names. In the case of the images from the owners camera they show as DSC_876 and the images from my camera show as IAM_7010.

If I rename a processed image as something like DSC_999 and then copy it to the same folder as one of the freshly taken images it will not be recognised by the ipad but the DSC_876 image is recognised.

At this stage I am about to take said ipad outside and dispatch it with swift blow from the back of an axe.
    Is this a "one off" effort? Because you could just sync the iPad via iTunes and transfer the images that way - would save the use of axe, and save iPad

Are you using the apple camera connection kit? Because I just renamed one of my jpegs in strict 8.3 format - and imported it. I also put it on my SD card with it's original name - not recognised. DSC_999.jpg is 7.3 format - just saying

The other possibility is that the total size of files is larger than available space on iPad - although that seems a bit silly!
    Last edited by Mathy; 09-09-2015 at 12:36pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Mathy, I don't understand the 8.3 format thingy but the rest ---

Said ( critically endangered ) ipad has an apple card reader connected to it that accepts an sd card. The ipad is recognising freshly taken photos with that DSC_xxxx file naming perfectly and will import them. It simply refuses to "see" processed images whether with simple file naming such as DSC_xxxx or the file name I assigned.

Errr, what is itunes?

ipad space is not an issue, since the "problem" started I have been experimenting with a 500 kb image.

I am thinking that I will simply burn the images to disc for them to figure out later and in future simply laugh in the face of anyone who turns up with an ipad in their hands.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Mathy, I don't understand the 8.3 format thingy but the rest ---

Said ( critically endangered ) ipad has an apple card reader connected to it that accepts an sd card. The ipad is recognising freshly taken photos with that DSC_xxxx file naming perfectly and will import them. It simply refuses to "see" processed images whether with simple file naming such as DSC_xxxx or the file name I assigned.

Errr, what is itunes?

ipad space is not an issue, since the "problem" started I have been experimenting with a 500 kb image.

I am thinking that I will simply burn the images to disc for them to figure out later and in future simply laugh in the face of anyone who turns up with an ipad in their hands.
    8.3 format is the old DOS format for naming files. So, 8 chars for filename, no spaces, underscores ok, followed by 3 letter file extension JPEG is .jpg. Example MYFILE_1.jpg. Is it possible that the PC has given your images a .jpeg extension, because that will do it. I haven't used a Windows PC for a while, but that OS can do some silly things with regard to renaming files. And you may not know if you don't have "show full name of file turned on" (or whatever it's called) so you can see the actual file extensions

Itunes is the software for syncing iPads/iPhones/iPods with a computer. There is a version available for Windows PC users. It's free and available from Apple.

Also the root file on the SD card must be strictly named DCIM (Digital Camera Image Format) - as the iPad only reads cards formatted for cameras. However, if the card was formatted in a camera, then that should not be the problem.

Has to be something to do with the filenames, this is the only recurring reason for this problem that I can find on the inter webby

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, have you considered contacting Apple Support?
    I have searched online for this and have come to... - nothing!

Apple Inc./Customer service

1300 321 456

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that interesting. A could save a phone call. I thought those machines could recognise almost any file structure
    Last edited by ameerat42; 09-09-2015 at 1:10pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8.3 format is the old DOS format for naming files. So, 8 chars for filename, no spaces, underscores ok, followed by 3 letter file extension JPEG is .jpg. Example MYFILE_1.jpg. Is it possible that the PC has given your images a .jpeg extension, because that will do it. I haven't used a Windows PC for a while, but that OS can do some silly things with regard to renaming files. And you may not know if you don't have "show full name of file turned on" (or whatever it's called) so you can see the actual file extensions

Itunes is the software for syncing iPads/iPhones/iPods with a computer. There is a version available for Windows PC users. It's free and available from Apple.

Also the root file on the SD card must be strictly named DCIM (Digital Camera Image Format) - as the iPad only reads cards formatted for cameras. However, if the card was formatted in a camera, then that should not be the problem.

Has to be something to do with the filenames, this is the only recurring reason for this problem that I can find on the inter webby
    Sorry, I should have included that the filenames, all, either assigned by the camera/s, the software or by my renaming end in .jpg or .JPG and the processed image has been placed in the same folder on the sd card as the "out of camera" file that shows on the ipad. The folder chain is DCIM then 918ND800 then the image IAM_xxxx. The folder contains 3 images, 2 taken by the camera and one processed and renamed image. The 2 images taken by the camera show on the ipad, the processed and renamed image is not visible.

As for itunes, I neither want nor need software that tries to make me go to the apple shop every time it starts. If I want fruit, we have a good greengrocers handy.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Andrew, have you considered contacting Apple Support?
    I have searched online for this and have come to... - nothing!

Apple Inc./Customer service

1300 321 456
    Thanks Am, I don't feel inclined to ring them as I really don't think that they would like to hear what I think of a product that cannot work with other products without needing extra software that tries to sell you things or expensive proprietary connections.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help and thoughts Mathy, it has all been consigned to the too hard basket and just doesn't make sense to me. I will resort to other means of getting the images to them ----

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I should have included that the filenames, all, either assigned by the camera/s, the software or by my renaming end in .jpg or .JPG and the processed image has been placed in the same folder on the sd card as the "out of camera" file that shows on the ipad. The folder chain is DCIM then 918ND800 then the image IAM_xxxx. The folder contains 3 images, 2 taken by the camera and one processed and renamed image. The 2 images taken by the camera show on the ipad, the processed and renamed image is not visible.

As for itunes, I neither want nor need software that tries to make me go to the apple shop every time it starts. If I want fruit, we have a good greengrocers handy.

Thanks Am, I don't feel inclined to ring them as I really don't think that they would like to hear what I think of a product that cannot work with other products without needing extra software that tries to sell you things or expensive proprietary connections.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help and thoughts Mathy, it has all been consigned to the too hard basket and just doesn't make sense to me. I will resort to other means of getting the images to them ----
    Well, it's very puzzling, and understandably frustrating.

There's one more thing. Are you using the white 30 pin dongle that you plug the SD card into - that's the Apple product. It comes partnered with another 30 pin dongle that allows you to plug the actual camera into the iPad. If you've got the all other important piece, it might be worth putting the images on the card, and the card into the camera. Beyond that, I'm flummoxed!
    Last edited by Mathy; 09-09-2015 at 2:39pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's very puzzling, and understandably frustrating.

There's one more thing. Are you using the white 30 pin dongle that you plug the SD card into - that's the Apple product. It comes partnered with another 30 pin dongle that allows you to plug the actual camera into the iPad. If you've got the all other important piece, it might be worth putting the images on the card, and the card into the camera. Beyond that, I'm flummoxed!
    This sounds wayyyyy worse than it is but I went and grabbed his dongle and inspected it. It is white, is made by apple, is simply an approx 30mm squarish card reader on a fixed white cord with a small male spade terminal with 1/2 a dozen or so terminals on either side on the other end of the cord.

THIS IS THE CARD READER

Flummoxed is a good word.

I don't think it is a file naming problem as I can email an image to the ipad and the image can be saved to the photo gallery of the ipad and it displays the image and file name correctly and one example file name is Lena_20150906_162838s.JPG. I then tried with the same image with an altered file name of Lena_0036.JPG and it also displays fine saved from an email.
    Last edited by I @ M; 09-09-2015 at 3:02pm.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds wayyyyy worse than it is but I went and grabbed his dongle and inspected it. It is white, is made by apple, is simply an approx 30mm squarish card reader on a fixed white cord with a small male spade terminal with 1/2 a dozen or so terminals on either side on the other end of the cord.

THIS IS THE CARD READER

Flummoxed is a good word.

I don't think it is a file naming problem as I can email an image to the ipad and the image can be saved to the photo gallery of the ipad and it displays the image and file name correctly and one example file name is Lena_20150906_162838s.JPG. I then tried with the same image with an altered file name of Lena_0036.JPG and it also displays fine saved from an email.
    That's a Lightning connector, they don't come packaged with the other adapter to plug the camera into, so this must be iPad 3 or younger?

Email doesn't care about how you name your files. The iPad (irrespective of age) is very limited in it's capacity to import files directly - that is how it transfers the files. The camera roll doesn't have the 8char limitation. I have been doing some reading about this. Basically, it's only designed to import files from a camera - hence the file name conventions, because they are dictated by a global and agreed upon specification. This specification also includes rules about the sequential numbering of files and how many can be in a folder. As a photographer, you have been looking at that numbering/naming convention ever since you went digital.

I'm wondering if your renaming of the files to look like camera files has violated the "sequential" numbering system in some way. In a reply to someone's plaintive cry for help at Apple Communities, a forum responder noted that the filenames just need to be 8 characters.jpg, they didn't need to look like a "camera" file. Perhaps try naming one fred_fat.jpg, see if that works, because the one I imported today, was named that way.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (The text of this thread should be submitted as a screenplay for the Ben Hur re-make. - The one this thread crying out for)

Mathy, are all tablets like this, even Android ones? (Must say I don't know much about tablets. Closest is a rel who has and Ipad - mostly glued to his face)

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sequential numbering doesn't seem to be a problem either as I renamed files to match the next in sequence on the cards from both my camera and theirs when I tried to import the processed image along with the "direct from camera files". The ipad simply refused to recognise the files that were added to the card.

I guess it is just a limitation of the ipad as I have copied files to other peoples mac laptops in the past with none of these dramas.

As of today I now have a policy that if a person wants images and fronts with an ipad I will tell them that they are simply out of luck as they have chosen to use an inferior, substandard device to store stuff on. They get a disc or they can have them on a usb key and sort it out themselves later.

The point I was making is that delivering an image to the ipad by email is that firstly, the ipad recognises it as a JPG image and is happy to import it to the photos folder from the email and secondly it displays the image correctly complete with either a long or short character file name.

The 8 character file name theory doesn't seem to apply either, as I mentioned a few posts back, the ipad will "see" and import files with DSC_876 or IAM_7010, the former being 7 characters and the latter being 8 characters. It will not "see" the next in sequence processed files named DSC_877 or IAM_7011.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    (The text of this thread should be submitted as a screenplay for the Ben Hur re-make. - The one this thread crying out for)

Mathy, are all tablets like this, even Android ones? (Must say I don't know much about tablets. Closest is a rel who has and Ipad - mostly glued to his face)
    I have no idea, I'm an iGirl - gave up on the "other side" 15 years ago

Having said that, iPad users really should install iTunes in order to have full functionality - one doesn't have to use the Apple Store, it can be turned off.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I found that out in the Google Store. You don't have to buy things and most a free too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast