User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  19

Thread: Warning : Spam Email

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Warning : Spam Email

I have had advice that members are receiving multiple spam emails that purport to be coming from other AP members, simply due to the email address matching an AP member's username.

Some AP members use a username that is the same as their email. So when the email arrives, the recipient recognises the username from Ausphotography, when it is really being picked up from the email address, not their AP username. It appears some email contact lists have been hacked that contain a lot of photographers email addresses. EG. AP member name is JoeBlowPhoto. Email address for the AP account is : JoeBlowPhoto@gnail.com. The hackers got hold of that email, so send out an email from a fake JoeBlowPhoto email address, thus it looks like it comes from the AP member.

Please be assured the Ausphotography system has not been hacked. What appears to have happened is that hackers have gained access to a group of emails and then used all the contacts in those emails to create new fake email address and then start spamming everyone on the contact lists of those emails. The mods and I have been receiving these emails from both AP usernames and non-member names. But always the email appears to be from someone known to the recipient whether that is an AP member or not.

The email has a title of Hi, or similarly.. Hi, How are you? etc

The email contains a link that always ends in the name of person who the email is supposedly from. Do not click the link.

example: Someone I have communicated with has saved my contact in their contact list as Ricktas. So then the hackers have gained access to that person's email or contact list. They have stolen the contact list, and created a new email called Ricktas@ (some web address), then they use the originally hacked accounts contact lists to email everyone from the new email address. So you receive an email that comes from ricktas@ some web address. The connection to Ausphotography is only that they used a contact name from a stolen email contact list that happens to be the same as my username on AP.

Because photographers in Australia tend to hang around with other photographers, these spam emails are doing the rounds of a lot of photographers at present.

As always use caution when dealing with emails from unknown sources, even if you think it could be from an AP member
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-09-2015 at 9:19am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice, Rick. To confirm, users can send a PM to the member on AP first.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting to the stage where I'm reluctant to click on links in any emails.

Some of the phishing junk purportedly from PayPal is very hard to tell from the real thing. It only takes a few seconds longer to connect to a website with your 'known to be safe' saved link.
    Cheers
    Kev

D600 : D7200 and too much stuff to list

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get one of these emails from (well not really from) an AP member.
    FWIW, I opened the link. They were selling some sort of weight lose pills. Since I don't need to loose weight and since it was a renown AP member, I even sent a very rude reply to the email Just in case it was them ). Than I did a full computer scan. Nothing found.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, beware you don't suddenly put on weight

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, beware you don't suddenly put on weight
    I won't be eating any Spam!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I won't be eating any Spam!
    I actually like spam (the meat'ish stuff)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this idiot really has to be kidding.

Arrived in my inbox today. "Reminder: Paypal akhawunti yakho iye ayekethisa limited‏"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that put a smile on my face Kev

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I get one of these emails from (well not really from) an AP member.
    FWIW, I opened the link. They were selling some sort of weight lose pills. Since I don't need to loose weight and since it was a renown AP member, I even sent a very rude reply to the email Just in case it was them ). Than I did a full computer scan. Nothing found.
    Mark, I've also been tempted to open the link and give them a serve, but when you do that you give them a validated email address to add to their collection.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my email gets run through Mailwasher, which lets me read up to the first two hundred lines directly from the mail servers, then I can choose which ones I wish to download onto my computer. It is very good at deciding and marking out which are spam, and which ones carry a virus. Very occasionally a real email ends up marked as spam that that's easily fixed. I can also bounce the spam emails back to the sender so my email address doesn't get validated.

No matter what we do, people still try and do the wrong thing. I'm sorry, I don't understand how these people tick and why they want to deliberately cause harm
    Last edited by farmmax; 07-09-2015 at 10:47pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post

No matter what we do, people still try and do the wrong thing. I'm sorry, I don't understand how these people tick and why they want to deliberately cause harm
    Max, it's all about relieving the unwary of their hard earned cash. Most of these scammers come from underprivileged backgrounds and have no concept of honesty and integrity.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Max, it's all about relieving the unwary of their hard earned cash. Most of these scammers come from underprivileged backgrounds and have no concept of honesty and integrity.
    Wow Kev, here was me thinking all along that they were mostly Nigerians and it turns out according to your reckoning that they are really politicians.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not ALL politicians tell lies.......only those whom open their mouths to speak. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    I can also bounce the spam emails back to the sender so my email address doesn't get validated.

Don't do that, it is a waste of time. Spammers usually spoof the from address, so bouncing the email will just bounce it back to which ever poor bloke the spammer used as the from address. The from address is not a guarantee that the email originated from that account.

From address is essentially like the return to sender address you might write on an envelope. Someone dishonest could put someone else address there. While many mail servers are configured to validate from addresses, not all do. So it is possible for spammers to inject emails into the wild with other peoples from address, without having access to their accounts.

Best to just delete spam.
    Last edited by tandeejay; 13-09-2015 at 7:27am.
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."