Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Rule of Thirds is WRONG.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if we're meant to take this seriously or not. The "rule of thirds" is just an indication that it isn't always best to centrally place a subject - but it usually is. This article just confirms that which most people already knew. Most portraits are taken with the subject not at a golden point, but at the centre of the frame. Just browse through the most famous works of art and you will see that the centre is the most important position for most great paintings - not the golden points. The golden points work very well when there are multiple subjects.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Just browse through the most famous works of art and you will see that the centre is the most important position for most great paintings - not the golden points.
    I quite like centering things but I'm not taking up painting to prove my point.
    And I'm not going to argue with those that say "there could be a bit more space at right for the bird to look into."
    You should stick to the composition that pleases you, unless you are trying to please others (and that may be a different discussion)

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think leaving "space for the bird to look into" is the rule of thirds.
    Maybe check all the comp winners and see how many use the rule of thirds and how many the centre and how many something else. Of course, do we really care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12