User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Softbox Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Softbox Question

This is probably a really stupid question but I can't find an answer to it anywhere on the net. I'm going to buy one of the octagonal softboxes for a strobe light. The ones I'm looking at have a rod in the middle like a normal brolly and the strobe fits at the back directly behind the rod and spokes. Wouldn't this have some effect on the light distribution in some way, or cast some shadow?.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, YES, but not in any significant way (if it's made properly) mainly because the light it would be emitting would be very diffuse.
    Could you find a link to a pic? Oh, it's not a stupid Q. Bad luck on that score
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, YES, but not in any significant way (if it's made properly) mainly because the light it would be emitting would be very diffuse.
    Could you find a link to a pic? Oh, it's not a stupid Q. Bad luck on that score
    G'day, thanks for your post, heres a link to the softbox:

http://www.fotogenic.com.au/collapsi...box-120cm.html

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam1971 View Post
    G'day, thanks for your post, heres a link to the softbox:

http://www.fotogenic.com.au/collapsi...box-120cm.html
    The only interference from the umbrella-style rod, Sam, is to help further soften and diffuse the light (yep, that's what I'm saying). In fact, in beauty dishes they put in a plate to achieve a similar softening effect by scattering the light rays further. That octabox also has 2 levels of diffusion - the outer white cover and an inner (removable) white scrim. All-in-all they make a great modifier, especially if you are opting for just the one strobe. And no, they don't cast any shadow.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 03-09-2015 at 5:47pm.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...