User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: I will give up my photo , but I will not give up my freedom!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will give up my photo , but I will not give up my freedom!!!

I was reading the terms and conditions for this photo comp ( http://www.marineconservation.org.au.../our-work.html ) and noticed that not only do you give up the rights to your photo you might have to give up your freedom.

One of the terms is

"Each shortlisted Entrant agrees to be interviewed, photographed and/or filmed by theOwner, for an unlimited period of time without remuneration."

Well , its a good cause , but I might not enter , just in case I get shortlisted!
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if any entrant gets shortlisted and they want to interview them for a week or two .. you potentially lose any income from work for that week, while they do their thing!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

One of the terms is

"Each shortlisted Entrant agrees to be interviewed, photographed and/or filmed by theOwner, for an unlimited period of time without remuneration."

Well , its a good cause , but I might not enter , just in case I get shortlisted!

A good cause, perhaps, but with a BAD clause
    CC, Image editing OK.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing what turns up in the terms and conditions. After reading the terms and conditions for the ABC, I decided I wouldn't create an account or upload any images there. Luckily most people don't take any notice of the T&C, so happily enter competitions obliviously.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm feeling a bit lonely so might enter a few photos and hope.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    ...most people don't take any notice of the T&C, so happily enter competitions obliviously...
    -And later feel biliously about it

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine was trying to get me to put pictures into The Guardian (online) photo competitions and themed so called assignments.

It occurred to me that this could be a good way for an international media outlet to get free stock photography so I looked for their terms of submission.
    Not easy to find other than finding the right search term to put into their website search engine.

The line in their terms that interested me most was:
    "By submitting content to us, you are granting us an unconditional, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully transferable, perpetual worldwide licence to use, publish and/or transmit, and to authorise third-parties to use, publish and/or transmit your content in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereinafter invented."

On the face of it the impression is, have a bit of fun and show us your pictures.
    But clearly from the wording here they have bigger plans for selected images and they are not just going to give them to third parties.

As with the OP, the message is look for and read the terms before deciding to submit your work anywhere.
    I'm no doubt preaching to the converted in this forum section, but for the casual photographer it might come as a surprise when their holiday photo ends up as part of a mayor travel promotion with no say so or remuneration.
    Last edited by Dug; 16-08-2015 at 2:28am.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I'm no doubt preaching to the converted in this forum section, but for the casual photographer it might come as a surprise when their holiday photo ends up as part of a mayor travel promotion with no say so or remuneration.
    And the casual photographer might be over the moon that their photo is being seen by so many people.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple term at the bottom of your photograph, "T&C of this site revoked". Should then turn into a real court room battle should they choose your photograph. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine was trying to get me to put pictures into The Guardian (online) photo competitions and themed so called assignments.

It occurred to me that this could be a good way for an international media outlet to get free stock photography so I looked for their terms of submission.
    Not easy to find other than finding the right search term to put into their website search engine.

"By submitting content to us, you are granting us an unconditional, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully transferable, perpetual worldwide licence to use, publish and/or transmit, and to authorise third-parties to use, publish and/or transmit your content in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereinafter invented."

On the face of it the impression is, have a bit of fun and show us your pictures.
    But clearly from the wording here they have bigger plans for selected images and they are not just going to give them to third parties.

As with the OP, the message is look for and read the terms before deciding to submit your work anywhere.
    The West Australian does this rights grabbing exercise every so often too. There's currently one by the City of Wanneroo where entry transfers copyright to the CoW .
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sydney Morning Herald Clique competition has this same clause and they say it is simply to protect themselves against other taking your photo off their website and using it wherever. Once they post one of your photo's on their website thy say they largely lose control of it as anyone can copy and paste it to their own website , or facebook etc.. Hence the bit about " any platform either now known or hereafter invented " . Drafted by lawyers to cover every possible eventuality.
    Last edited by bcys1961; 27-02-2016 at 5:05pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they CLEARLY DON'T realise is that ALL of this will become ACADEMIC in several billion years
    (Boy, I can't wait!)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    The Sydney Morning Herald Clique competition has this same clause and they say it is simply to protect themselves against other taking your photo off their website and using it wherever. Once they post one of your photo's on their website thy say they largely lose control of it as anyone can copy and paste it to their own website , or facebook etc.. Hence the bit about " any platform either now known or hereafter invented " . Drafted by lawyers to cover every possible eventuality.
    Sounds like bullshit to me. If you licence them to use the photo on their website (limited use blah blah) and someone steals it from there and uses it elsewhere it is not Sydney Morning Herald's fault or problem. You know that's a risk with any image on the web and there is no way for the SMH to prevent it. It's still up to you to pursue the thief (if you want), because you still own the copyright.
    Lawyers that come up with this catch all style of wording are just lazy and not expert enough in the field IMHO.