Thread: A Question About Flickr...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Question About Flickr...

Hi Folks of the Flickr Fraternity.

I am considering becoming an acolyte of this august body, but I have one question (or more).

Can I make the individual images, whether in the photostream or in an album, all hidden?

Alternatively, can I give a link, say here in AP, so that ONLY that image can be seen and not all the others, in albums or stream?

Another take:
    From such a link I want to be sure that nobody can migrate away (upwards, across) to any other pictures.

Or even:
    Sometimes I get a message when I click on a Flickr link something like: "You must be signed in to see this image."

Can anyone who is signed in to Flickr see that image, or does it only refer to the user whose image it is?

(Hmm! This was as clear as mud before0)
    Ta, Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try and help in line. This info is my understanding of how things work. I haven't done extensive testing to check though.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hi Folks of the Flickr Fraternity.

I am considering becoming an acolyte of this august body, but I have one question (or more).

Can I make the individual images, whether in the photostream or in an album, all hidden?

Yes, you choose the permissions for each individual image

Alternatively, can I give a link, say here in AP, so that ONLY that image can be seen and not all the others, in albums or stream?

Yes, if you have several private albums you can send someone a link to one album and that's the only one they see.

Another take:
    From such a link I want to be sure that nobody can migrate away (upwards, across) to any other pictures.

If you send an album link they'll see all in the album if they are a friend and the permission is set to friend. It's possible that pictures set as private won't be visible to them. I'm not certain though. Safest way is to just create an album for your visitor and put the images you want them to see in it. You can have an image in several albums, they work a bit like folders in a LR catalogue in that respect.

Or even:
    Sometimes I get a message when I click on a Flickr link something like: "You must be signed in to see this image."

Can anyone who is signed in to Flickr see that image, or does it only refer to the user whose image it is?

Not sure.
    If you want to do some testing, pm me an email address and tell me what you'd like to try and we can give it a go. I'll probably learn something too :-)

(Hmm! This was as clear as mud before0)
    Ta, Am.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hamster. Am T/C-ing still.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

I don't think I read that properly the first time. I think the answer is yes, if the others are private. If you embed a picture (or link I think) then clicking on it takes the person to your Flickr site where all the public stuff is viewable also, but none of the private.

There are various mixes of permissions possible, and it's difficult to be certain how they work without double checking, hence the testing suggestion.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use flickr and smugmug and I have to say smugmug is my preference for hosting pictures. Flickr I use solely as a bit of a twitter/facebook feed for photo and I only bother with the free version.